Scared Husky

Damrod

Our last Husky, Elke, started fearing thunder storms when she was about 12 years old. Before that, they did not bother her. When a storm hit, she'd get under the bed, or in the bathtub. Our vet recommended giving her a Benedryl tablet to make her sleepy. We tried that a few times, and it did not make much difference.

mine r ok with thunder storms, tend to stand at the window and look out! They're not too keen on being outside during a storm tho...but think tgats more because of the rain.....they hate rain! As for the hoover....we have tgat problem, all 3 hate ut and charge round tge house to get away!

Mine love it! Get a thunderstorm and they will go out and run up and down the garden in it like lunatics.

Not fussed by the hoover, you have to hoove round most of them.

Gunshot don't bother them, thanks to the weekly clay pigeon shoot up the road, and only one of ours is afraid of fireworks, though only goes and curls up out of the way rather than being totally terrified of them.

awww poor babes, give them hugs from me and the boys

My 3 never seem to be too fussed about thunderstorms, at the moment. The thunder can often make Gizmo jump, especially if he is sleeping! Apart from that they dont seem bothered by it. However, we havent had a big thunderstorm since we have had them.

Have you thought of using a calming remedy for them during a thunderstorm? I have heard some good reviws about Dap for dogs. I have never tried it though but an old friend of mine used it wither her dog as he used to become very scared during firework season!

Heres the link http://www.petremedies.co.uk/Behaviour/Dap-for-Dogs/c-1-64-147/

Bo is better now, but when younger, really disliked thunder storms. He likes to be by us during one, and will lay beside me whenever there is one going on. Since he can no longer make it up the steps at night, this means nights sleeping on the sofa when it storms. Oh, the things we do for our pets!

We dont have thunderstorms where I live.

But a lot of the dogs around here get terrorized by fireworks. When I worked at the vet, we would get inundated by lacerated dogs that jumped through windows on Independence Day during all the fireworks everywhere.

If your Sibe is just clingy, make sure not to "baby" him. Dont tell him "its ok, its ok, dont be afraid" That type of response only reenforces that behavior.

You want to ignore fear based responses. Dont correct or baby them, just ignore.

Better yet, get their mind on something else. Something really interesting to them.

When thunderstorms come through, make that "training time". Get out the best possible treats you can think of and just start doing basic commands and rewarding.

It will get your dog's mind off the storm and onto food!!

If you are going to be away from home, (at work) and the forcast calls for thunderstorms. Make sure to crate your Sibe. A crate is valuable for this kind of situation.

Cover the crate with a blanket to make your dog feel more secure and throw in a good chew toy or Kong for them to focus their attention on.

That way, if your dog gets really scared, it cant jump through any windows or hurt themselves.