How much exercise???

Guest AllenM

Guest AllenM

Hi everyone, many of you may know we are picking up our new furbaby on wednesday and i wanted to know if anyone had any advice on how much exercise is correct for a puppy of 10 weeks old.

As you know we recently lost our precious girl mya and since then cant help thinking maybe we did something wrong.( we know we didnt) but still its some thing we want to make sure of.

We really are just trying to tick all the boxes this time in every way possible.

so your advice and hints will be greatly appreciated.

Allen.

hi Allen i know when we got Odin i was advices at 5 mins for every month of age, i admit if it was not to hot or he was enjoying him self we did do a little more but we just went with him but never to muc. all will go well well when you get your lil one, best of luck, and lots of pics when u do get him/her xxxx

At 10 weeks the only exercise they need is what they give themselves. They will run around until they fall over. Sleep till they are refreshed and then do it all over again. When they have had both vaccinations and are OK to go outside, you can go by the "five minute" rule - ie 5 minutes of onlead exercise for every month of age per day. So, a 3 month old puppy will need only 15 minutes onlead exercise a day. By the time they are fully grown (12 months+) they will take whatever exercise you can give them.

We rarely walk our pups onlead until they are 6 months old as they get so much natural exercise from playing with themselves, us and the other dogs.

Mick

I totally agree with Mick puppies around that age will just constantly run about playing until the cows come home or just until they decide a nap and then its a quick sleep and off again lol

For walks the 5 miute rule (as already explained so won't bether going through it all again) seems to work best for everyone. I will be honest and say I hadn't heard of it when I had Gizmo and just had to do guess work! There was only once when he had a very long walk one day when I was so stressed out I just kept walking, poor Gizmo was shattered and slept for ages and I felt so guilty!

We did stick to the 5 minute rule alot better with Marley and Bandit, even though we still never knew about it, and now all 3 of them have a walk and they understand that is what they get and just keep going until we get back home and they will lie down and sleep then.