anxiety or fear?

Not sure how to deal with this latest development in Diesel's behavior but here goes. One of my neighbors has been having serious domestic violence issues and it got pretty rough this afternoon (the sooner I move the better cops are a common back drop here) and it got to the point stuff was falling off the walls. I'm used to random thuds, bangs, and wall shakes so I kept calm and just moved the stuff until the cops showed up and cooled them down again (or arrested one of them again whichever) but Diesel just freaked. He started panting excessively and shaking like a leaf. Pacing,whining, the whole nine yards. He's never done this before but they haven't shaken the entire place before either. Normally the kids upstairs shake the places running and jumping.

I'm not sure how to address him in this state. I know comforting him won't work and probably would play him up more so I'm just typing this and he's lying behind me finally calming his panting down. Is this anxiety or fear? What should I do to help or am I doing it? I don't know if he just feels their heightened emotions or if it is something he remembers from the past? Am I thinking to much on it?

Kiana is fine she's got a worried look but is pretty much just laying next to D and relaxing nomming her wubba. She's been raised in these apartments so she's fairly used to random noises at all hours. Any thoughts?

hmm...can you take D out when this ish happens? like leave the house for a walk or something? poor boy...i'm guessing it's a combination of both fear and anxiety...you're right about not coddling him during this time. i know it's difficult but you're doing the right thing in terms of that. maybe you can give him a toy? or engage him in tricks etc if he begins to behave like that (try to take his mind off of the noise). my furbabies are scared of loud noises too (especially fireworks). i usually crate them and give them a stuffed bone. best to you...

Seems like anxiety. Do you think D has been abused in the past before you got him? That could set him off, but if these 'fits' just started now...then it might just be anxiety or that its happening too often for him to deal with.

Like you said, I wouldn't comfort him, as that would only compound his anxiety and reinforce that 'its okay to be afraid of that because you're there to give him attention' (Are you afraid? That could set nervous dogs off as well)

hmm...can you take D out when this ish happens? like leave the house for a walk or something?
It would be a good idea but their squabbles often end up in the stair well or parking lot so I'd have to rush out of the apartment as soon as I heard it start which I think would cause a new issue with associating leaving with a similar fear/anxiety. Good idea though :)

Seems like anxiety. Do you think D has been abused in the past before you got him? That could set him off, but if these 'fits' just started now...then it might just be anxiety or that its happening too often for him to deal with.

Like you said, I wouldn't comfort him, as that would only compound his anxiety and reinforce that 'its okay to be afraid of that because you're there to give him attention' (Are you afraid? That could set nervous dogs off as well)

I have a distinctive feeling something happened as anyone who raises their voice sets him into either omg love me don't hurt me mode or run and hide and wait for it to stop mode. He hasn't reacted like this to just us yelling though. This has only been going on for a few months and the physical fights have been started just this month so I'm not sure how he's associating with it. I'm not afraid more irritated that my stuff get's knocked around and I literally can't take the dogs out for a couple hours cause of the cops outside. I hate it when other people control when I do or don't do something >_< but it's for the dog's safety so it is what it is. Believe me I'd be out of here in two shakes of D's tail if I could I hate this place with every definition of the word.

So the question is if they keep this up and the cops or manager fail to do something (which they are pretty much doing with the building across the way with the same damned problem) would starting a training session to distract him be worth a try? I know anything is worth a try but again I don't want him to start associating the good things with bad vibes :( I'm so glad I have you guys for advice lol even if he is only part husky :P

Edit to add: When I got him about a year ago he also had extremely bad SA he'd scream bloody murder when I left with Kiana. He's gotten better much better now he only goes to the window and whines for a bit then settles down till we are back in. He still watches the door like a hawk when we're gone but the OMG I"M DYING thing has stopped lol. Unless he's hyped up from play when I take them out then he'll chirp his dislike for a bit but will stop after a few.

dog's will pick up on your un-certainty over a situation, if you feel un-comfortable chances are your dog's/dog will pick up on it also

we live miles away from our nearest neighbours ( rural Ireland ) but when i am uneasy about maybe more car's on the road or walkers ( which we get a lot of ) can see the difference almost immediately ( people hanging around the bottom of my drive 100 mtrs away ) from Lily more than Shylah as every day is a game to Shylah as yet ! but yet Lily picks up on my un-easiest moment's from the start !! dont comfort him as this can bring on more anxiety from dogs ...try to act like nothing unusual is happening is the best way

but if your husky is a rescue , maybe he is used to bad sound's ...don't comfort him...try to act as normal as possible ....so he dont suffer any more anxiety than he is already going through ! maybe a special treat or a walk whilst background thing's are going on :)

will keep fingers crossed for your potential move from the area :) i lived in a not so great area and my shepherd was the first to pick up on thing's.....we moved as soon as we were able financially.....shepherd never loooked back on those time's:) ...she is a happy lady now :)

LOL Jacki actually Diesel is a cross GSD/Husky and is more GSD than husky :) Great advice thank you sadly it is common place here and I've been here 5yrs now so it's easy for me to just brush it off (obviously I call the cops if things are getting out of hand) and go about my business. This place was nothing like this when I first moved in but life has it's problems and I just haven't been stable enough to move :( He's fine now that everything's done he's still pacing to the door every now and then but I just call him away and have him lay down while I game. Kiana is just snoozing away on my bed lol nothing fazes her :rolleyes:

have to say i am more familiar with the GSD than the siberian....a learning experince on there own.....i have lived in a pretty poor neighbourhood myself and my first GSD ( Sheba R.I.P ) took so much on-board whilst we were living there....she was a rescue.....but we knew her history thankfully ! but when voices were raised ...she turned into another creature altogether...nervous,quiet ...but very much on the ball ...as if the noises got louder as they sometimes did ..she would turn very protective ....and growl and bark at the door .........we ignored the behaviour as much as we could ( and this was a regular occurence ) but eventually she took no notice of the noises....used to bring in her kong bone....as she learnt we would re-fill it....lmao.......as she seemed to know it was a distraction tactic...lol, and just reaped the reward :) but eventually as soon as the noise started ( which was enevitable each evening....the kong was a much more reward than the growling and nervousness ever was...can only hope this works for you:) peanut butter worked great :) or liver straight from the butchers !

Actually since Kiana never took to the Kong toys (besides the squeaky balls of death) I never thought of getting one for Diesel :confused: I may give that a try he certainly has a flare for peanut butter lol maybe he'd enjoy that :) Thanks for the idea. I'd love to hear more on your GSD experience I'm more familiar with sibes and am still new to GSDs so learning every day even a year later LOL. Certainly are interesting characters aren't they :)

Actually since Kiana never took to the Kong toys (besides the squeaky balls of death) I never thought of getting one for Diesel :confused: I may give that a try he certainly has a flare for peanut butter lol maybe he'd enjoy that :) Thanks for the idea. I'd love to hear more on your GSD experience I'm more familiar with sibes and am still new to GSDs so learning every day even a year later LOL. Certainly are interesting characters aren't they :)

anything i can help with...feel free to ask, more confident on the GSD ....Shylah my sibe is certainly still a learning curve....and experience :) lol

have been owned by 2 GSD's Sheba was my first lady, she was pts 2 years ago in May....due to old age was 15 yrs ....saddest moment that i have been through !! with my dog's, we got her at age 2 as the family were relocating and couldn't take there dog :( but was the best thing that ever happened to myself and my family fab dog's....truly loyal and sweet natured, Lily my second GSD is 4 yrs in June,and is exactly the same as my first dog....very sweet ! and adores Shylah after a bumpy start....lol.