please read this book if you think you cant train a husky off the lead

tommyboi36

Personally, making my dog an off leash dog is not really worth it. I understand the necessity of training a decent recall, but I don't have the time and I don't want to do that much training to make mine off leash. And in any case, what would be the point in that? There is hardly any safe, unfenced place in my area where I would be able to allow mine off leash.

I hope your dog never accidentally escapes from your property or you have their leash or collar break apart on walk (both of which has happened to me). There are so many reasons to train your dog to have a reliable recall, IMO it is a basic safety requirement. I can think of a million reasons to train a reliable recall, and I can't think of a single reason not to do it... I don't care if you never let your dog off leash, accidents happen and a reliable recall can save your dog's life.

Having a reliable recall is something I think of as a necessity with my dogs, I don't want to live with a dog that doesn't have a decent recall, I don't care what breed it is.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope your dog never accidentally escapes from your property or you have their leash or collar break apart on walk (both of which has happened to me). There are so many reasons to train your dog to have a reliable recall, IMO it is a basic safety requirement. I can think of a million reasons to train a reliable recall, and I can't think of a single reason not to do it... I don't care if you never let your dog off leash, accidents happen and a reliable recall can save your dog's life.

Having a reliable recall is something I think of as a necessity with my dogs, I don't want to live with a dog that doesn't have a decent recall, I don't care what breed it is.

Persephona didn't say she never did any recall training she said that she didn't want to train her husky as an off leash dog. The training needed is more intense...is harder work. I do recall daily with my 2 yet I certainly wouldn.t claim to be training them as off leash dogs...i'm training them as 'in case of emergency i'm 99% sure they'll come back' dogs.

It isn't fair to make assumptions.

Persephona didn't say she never did any recall training she said that she didn't want to train her husky as an off leash dog. The training needed is more intense...is harder work. I do recall daily with my 2 yet I certainly wouldn.t claim to be training them as off leash dogs...i'm training them as 'in case of emergency i'm 99% sure they'll come back' dogs.

It isn't fair to make assumptions.

She said "I understand the necessity of training a decent recall, but I don't have the time and I don't want to do that much training to make mine off leash." She said she didn't have time to train a decent recall. How else was I supposed to interpret that?

TBH, I don't really understand the difference between training a reliable recall and training your dog to be "off leash". Isn't part of training a reliable recall, testing your dog under a number of distractions to ensure the recall is bomb proof and durable? If your dog can't come back when it's called if it's off leash, it's recall isn't reliable.

I would appreciate reading my entire post and not making assumptions that I have not trained my dog. In fact, I have trained my dog and he has a decent recall and we have trained emergency recall as well, but I do not feel the need to take it that far as to make mine an off leash dog and that was all I said. Obviously, you do not have to watch my posts on this forum or anything, but I don't think I ever even suggested not having trained my dog.

Personally, making my dog an off leash dog is not really worth it. I understand the necessity of training a decent recall, but I don't have the time and I don't want to do that much training to make mine off leash. And in any case, what would be the point in that? There is hardly any safe, unfenced place in my area where I would be able to allow mine off leash.

I think it is quite clear from the post that I do not want to make mine an off leash dog, not that I have not trained him.

I would appreciate reading my entire post and not making assumptions that I have not trained my dog. In fact, I have trained my dog and he has a decent recall and we have trained emergency recall as well, but I do not feel the need to take it that far as to make mine an off leash dog and that was all I said. Obviously, you do not have to watch my posts on this forum or anything, but I don't think I ever even suggested not having trained my dog.

I think it is quite clear from the post that I do not want to make mine an off leash dog, not that I have not trained him.

Sorry if I've misinterpreted your posts, but I'm really confused. I don't think your post was clear at all. You said you understand the necessity of training a recall but you don't have time and don't want to do it. I don't think I was making assumptions at all, I was simply reading what you wrote.

Aww bless ya lol! Can't help, sorry. I still haven't figured out how to change my avatar!

LOL. It finally worked. I love it :) Your avatar- up in the right hand corner where it shows your name - when you scroll it drops a menu? Well instead of going through the menu- click your name. Itll take you to a screen where you will see your avatar pic- and it will say "change avatar." Atleast- thats how I figured it. LOL. Hope it helps :)

LOL. It finally worked. I love it :) Your avatar- up in the right hand corner where it shows your name - when you scroll it drops a menu? Well instead of going through the menu- click your name. Itll take you to a screen where you will see your avatar pic- and it will say "change avatar." Atleast- thats how I figured it. LOL. Hope it helps :)

Tried that a few times...never works. I blame crappy bt internet and my tired old and weary laptop.

In my eyes there is a very clear difference between having a decent recall and an off leash dog. With an off leash dog, you want him to come promptly, the first time you call him, all the time. Which is not the same as a dog that comes back 95% of the time, but this will probably be enough if the collar breaks or the dog escapes the property (instances that both happened to us, but alas, our dog is not dead yet, but he came back when called).

Emergency recall is also a very different idea.

In any case:

You can get your point across without being insulting or overly dramatic. And at the end of the day, every dog is different, and every owner has the right to make their own decisions about what they do with their dogs.