please read this book if you think you cant train a husky off the lead

tommyboi36

Well, that's okay Marc, everyone knows I'm a bi**h, but my heart is in the right place. NOW CLOSE THIS POST< PLEASE>>>>>>>>>>:worship::worship::worship:

No need at the moment. Its all civil and so long as it stays that way its fine

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If that dog looks like a wolf, then Suka looks like a boxer!

This is a wolf:

summer-wolf.jpg

Compare that (similar pose) to this one:

aaaabrenin.jpg

There are clearly multiple differences, the ears, the muzzle, the eye shape, and the face structure being the most obvious differences.

One of my mom's friends dogs was hit by a car at 12 years old. She had "perfect" recall, up until then. One day she was walking down her street, which actually wasn't very busy. Her dog saw two cats fighting on the other side of the street and started to run over to them. My mom's friend called her back, and she stopped in the middle of the street and looked back at her owner. Then looked back at the cats.. then a car came speeding around the corner and hit her. And sped off before a license number could be taken. She had to put Daisy to sleep cause of internal bleeding that couldn't be stopped.

Daisy was a yellow lab x gsd.

maybe you dont... i was just saying that is what i saw... as with all opinions they differ from person to person.. no need to make a point !!!

Easy there, I'm not trying to be nitpicky or shove it in your face! I'm by no means the master of identifying mixed breeds! If you see GSD in the dog I'm genuinely curious as to what aspects of his body point to that, simply because I don't see it. We have no way of ever knowing what Brenin's true breeding is, so it's all speculation.

Easy there, I'm not trying to be nitpicky or shove it in your face! I'm by no means the master of identifying mixed breeds! If you see GSD in the dog I'm genuinely curious as to what aspects of his body point to that, simply because I don't see it. We have no way of ever knowing what Brenin's true breeding is, so it's all speculation.

it was just purely to me the body length but that could be a trick of the picture. and not how he actually looks..in person.. he just looks to bulky for a husky but not bulky enough for a Mali.. and just seems to long in the body thats why i see GSD.

just read the 2 page article and all i can say is ..

OMG he is blooming English..... i thought only the Americans where mad :lolman: sorry to sutsibe & Austinville and anyone else from America.

well unless your one of the mad Americans

LOL!!! Richard, you are by far more mad than Becky or I - for that matter, most of the Americans I know! What's that phrase about "Mad dogs and Englishmen"? :rofl:

[in quick defense, I never stated, "YES you can teach a husky to come when called. I only said mine knew his recall very well, I did also say that I would reccomend whoever wants to train to use a 100ft + lead, or in an enclosed space. When I do it with Grimm, I only do it when and where I am comforatable in an are that is very familiar, and no, he wont end up in an RIP post- I ASSURE you that. Also, Im not around to cause problems, but the conversation went the way it did and I had something to say- I apologize if it came off blunt or b*tchy or whatever anyone may have felt]

Brenen deffinately looks more Mally than anything else really. I guess Id need to read more into that book or whatever it is he wrote- now Im intruiged.

just read the 2 page article and all i can say is ..

OMG he is blooming English..... i thought only the Americans where mad :lolman: sorry to sutsibe & Austinville and anyone else from America.

well unless your one of the mad Americans

I could fit that description.......though I'm still waiting on an official opinion from the Dr.! :popcorn:

More fun - for all that Rowlands talks about Brenin's "amber wolf eyes" they look - in the 3 photos found on the internet, anyway - to be the typical dark brown found in siberians and malamutes, not the yellow eyes of a wolf...

3119172168_38b51c79b4.jpg

post-4-13809690149348_thumb.jpg

Okay, maybe now I'm beating a dead horse! It just irks me that someone writes a book and is making money off of his "life with a wolf" that is clearly a hybrid.

post-5937-1358601760393_thumb.jpg

i can't for the life of me think why ANY dog is allowed free offlead time, as manymany of them are not trained well enough with recall, let alone a breed that every knowledgable person will tell you not to let off lead unless you want a dead dog.

I wasn't going to bothering posting in this thread at all until I saw this post. That's a ridiculous thing to say. So no dog should be let off leash ever? How would you compete in any dog sports if your dog can't be let off leash? If you have a dog with a reliable recall there is no reason not to let it off leash. My youngest dog will recall immediately even mid chase of a flock of birds, I don't see letting her off leash as a risk at all.

Sometimes I think the opinions about letting dogs off leash get taken too far in these threads. It's fine not to feel comfortable with letting your dog off leash, and if you are of the opinion that huskies can never have a reliable recall, well, that's your opinion and shared by the majority of the forum so it hardly comes as a surprise. But telling people they are killing their dog if they admit they let it off leash, or saying that no dog should ever be let off leash... It makes the argument about never letting a husky off leash look ridiculous. You can get your point across without being insulting or overly dramatic. And at the end of the day, every dog is different, and every owner has the right to make their own decisions about what they do with their dogs.

I wasn't going to bothering posting in this thread at all until I saw this post. That's a ridiculous thing to say. So no dog should be let off leash ever? How would you compete in any dog sports if your dog can't be let off leash? If you have a dog with a reliable recall there is no reason not to let it off leash. My youngest dog will recall immediately even mid chase of a flock of birds, I don't see letting her off leash as a risk at all.

Sometimes I think the opinions about letting dogs off leash get taken too far in these threads. It's fine not to feel comfortable with letting your dog off leash, and if you are of the opinion that huskies can never have a reliable recall, well, that's your opinion and shared by the majority of the forum so it hardly comes as a surprise. But telling people they are killing their dog if they admit they let it off leash, or saying that no dog should ever be let off leash... It makes the argument about never letting a husky off leash look ridiculous. You can get your point across without being insulting or overly dramatic. And at the end of the day, every dog is different, and every owner has the right to make their own decisions about what they do with their dogs.

^ Well, atleast I dont feel completely alone in my beliefs. lol.

Also- RoseWillow- I had no idea that the post was one of many that causes issues like this, Or I might have refrained myself from ever commenting. Note to self! LOL

I love it when somebody comes on the forums and starts claiming that huskies can in fact be off leash and that the years of experience that breeders and owners have had with their huskies are obviously WRONG, just like the common knowledge that huskies should not be off leash.

Don't get me wrong, I believe that there are huskies that can be trained for perfect recall. I believe that there can be off leash dogs and that it is no crime to allow your dog off leash (without a fence) in secure area. However, making a blanket statement that all huskies can be trained to be off leash and that everybody who doesn't think so is WRONG is not acceptable.

Most people are not aware of how much training perfect, reliable recall requires. Most dog owners I know have not done any recall training whatsoever and some of them are lucky enough to have obedient dogs that come back anyway, so they can be let off leash. Obviously, with a husky you can't do that and you actually have to work for a good recall and therefore, no person that is not willing to spend serious time on recall training should allow their husky of leash. Nobody said that there aren't huskies who do well off leash, but ask the owners how much work they put into that. It's probably more than the average owner is willing to, so yes, for most people, the statement that huskies should not be off leash applies.

Personally, making my dog an off leash dog is not really worth it. I understand the necessity of training a decent recall, but I don't have the time and I don't want to do that much training to make mine off leash. And in any case, what would be the point in that? There is hardly any safe, unfenced place in my area where I would be able to allow mine off leash.

I partly agree with the statement no dog should ever be allowed to be off leash, so long as in a city. Maybe it's just my opinion, but it is a stupid thing to do even if your dog has perfect recall. No dog has a "road sense" and you may not even see a car before you can stop your dog from throwing himself in front of it. Not to mention that it is illegal to allow your dog off leash on the street and in most public places.