Hi all, new question

Kiba

Havent been on in a while.

Life with the new girl is great. She's pretty much perfect.

Of course they all have their faults.

I've noticed with Kiba, that she is VERY nervous around strange men. Any man she's never met before she rears her head back, ears up, butt down and does a wierd growly howl thing if they get close.

All the men in my family she loves, but the first time she met them, she did the same thing. Especially with my Dad who is 6 ft and deep voiced and not overly flambouyoant when meeting a dog.

She's never snapped, but i'm afraid she might if a strange man approached her hands outstretch too quickly. Mostly she moves away, but you never now especially with the warning she gives.

But i must emphasize that it is only the FIRST time that she meets them that she acts that way. Afteward, she's all kisses and happiness. With my dad, brother in law, etc.

She is overly submissive to me. I walk into the room and she has her head lowered, ears down, crawling over to me. Tail waggin but slightly tucked against her leg. Not fear. Her tail isnt under her, just tucked agains the side of her leg. I read this is submission in wolf talk, not fear.

But once when I raised my voice at her... ok i yelled because she was starting to chew on a baby toy. I yelled "HEY!" and she peed!!!

Not a huge puddle, but a little spot. And a couple more spots on her way to the crate.

I was like.... "uh....ooops i think i scared her"

She's gotten a lot better. She hasnt urinated in the past few weeks and she is much better on walks. She used to dart to the side when trucks went by. She wouldnt step on metal grates and she was TERRIFIED of trash cans.

I got her past all that. She walks over grates, doesnt flinch when tractor trailers buzz by and it took about a week of walking her around the yard with our trash can to get her ok with those. I would make a rukkus with the trash can and give her some roast beef so she realized trash cans where her friends that gave her roast beef.

But the man thing i dont think will ever go away. If a man is running accross the street behind us, she flips around to make sure he's not going to run over and kill her.

and i have to warn all would be petters of her, that she is nervous around strange men and to crowch down and let her come to them....

maybe after a year or so, she'll be ok.

I guess it wasnt really a question was it????? More of a lengthy novel on my life so far with my new Sibe.

But i must say. Other than the fear of strange men, i have encountered not ONE other issue that i havent been able to resolve immediately.

Thoughts ?

not sure what 2 suggest was she a rescue dog (i cnt remember sorry) if she was it might b summin 2 do with her past ive noticed bings is scared ov alot ov things like loud bangs if u raise ur arm near him he cowers he hates the dark he hates water theres not much he does like bless him but i put this all down 2 the fact he was a stray and by the fact that he cowers when u raise ur arm that he was abused too - this might b y she doesnt like men

yeah, she is from the shelter. she was surrendered by her last owners.

she is 2 1/2 yrs old.

i think her last home there was a man that was harsh with her.

she's doing WAY better. she just needs to get over it. I dont make a habbit of feeling sorry for her. Dogs live in the moment and it shows. If she was beat up, she's already getting over it.

The man thing will take more time, but i make a point not to cater to her when she is scared. I just ignore it and keep on going.

Seems to work.

Sounds like you're doing the right thing by her, just keep introducing her to strange men --- no, that sounds wrong, doesn't it?! But you know what I mean, she can only conquer a fear by being presented with it & getting used to the fact not all men are to be feared... good luck with her, xx

One of our first sibes (Sky) was a rescue who had been very badly abused by her first owner. Although she soon got over her fear of any adult male, it took her four or five years until she was happy to be in the same room as a man wearing a baseball cap. Sibes are incredibly resilient, but even they take a little time to get over trauma.

Sky was a brilliant dog and was joint lead in my first racing team. This is her (the piebald) leading my four dog team at Aviemore in 1996 (I think).

RACE1.GIF

Mick

Aww sorry to hear Kiba is feeling a little fearful around men Prob had a bad experience beforhand poor thing But there is nothing I can suggest that hasnt already been. (TOP ADVICE GUYS!!)

Well done on you for giving her a forever home and Im sure in time she will get over her scare but just keep doing what you are doing as it sounds like its working.

All the best :7: Grey sends her a big sloppy kiss..............MAWH