Birds and Huskies...

Hi guys,

Since I couldn't get another dog, due to multiple reasons (money, mostly)...I'm thinking of getting a bird again. Perhaps not a parakeet this time...maybe something a little bigger like a cockatiel.

The reason I'm thinking of a bird, is because we still have the cage and supplies from Pepi (my green parakeet that passed 5 years ago.) and my Mom & Dad said 'no' to any reptiles. And fish are just boring. LOL

I have a question, though...

Because of Suka's high prey drive...would he try to kill the bird? He hasn't shown any desire to chase birds in the past...he killed a robin 2 or so years ago...but that was because it had a broken wing and couldn't fly away. He must have known that.

Also, Pepi (my green parakeet), only lived for 5 years...and I heard they're supposed to live longer than that. We bought him at a pet store...but I'm not sure if there's a better way to go about that? If my parents agree, we might adopt from the humane society again, as they get birds in from time to time...but most of them are either moody, unhealthy, or adopted quickly.

Any comments? Suggestions?

I would certainly keep the cage where he can't get to it when no one is around.

You should have it down at his eye level when you are there to acclimate him to the bird and cage.

Don't let him terrorize the bird tho- they can get stressed quite easily.

Just let him see it so he knows it's there, but still I would not trust him and the bird alone in a room - ever

i don't see why you would want to complicate your life and get a bird when you already have a great dog :), but i don't think it's all that pessimstic. my husky won't touch my things, and that includes small animals, so if i get something in the house, he wont touch it without permission. with time, he'll get used to it. also, larger birds can be quite characters, and from my expirience, huskies usually won't risk an injury if their prey is fighting back too hard or has an attitude. they tend to be quite cautious.

Hi guys,

Since I couldn't get another dog, due to multiple reasons (money, mostly)...I'm thinking of getting a bird again. Perhaps not a parakeet this time...maybe something a little bigger like a cockatiel.

The reason I'm thinking of a bird, is because we still have the cage and supplies from Pepi (my green parakeet that passed 5 years ago.) and my Mom & Dad said 'no' to any reptiles. And fish are just boring. LOL

Because of Suka's high prey drive...would he try to kill the bird? He hasn't shown any desire to chase birds in the past...he killed a robin 2 or so years ago...but that was because it had a broken wing and couldn't fly away. He must have known that.

Also, Pepi (my green parakeet), only lived for 5 years...and I heard they're supposed to live longer than that. We bought him at a pet store...but I'm not sure if there's a better way to go about that? If my parents agree, we might adopt from the humane society again, as they get birds in from time to time...but most of them are either moody, unhealthy, or adopted quickly.

Hi there,

we have 4 lineolated parakeets, but as someone else suggested, they are not kept at ground level. I invested in quite an expensive cage though and it stands about 5ft high (with wheels), similar to this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberta-Drake-Medium-Parrot-Stand/dp/B002Y1OFTK/ref=sr_1_20?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1325526407&sr=1-20 (hope that was allowed!), so the dog isn't really interested in them. Being a previous birdie owner you'll know that parakeets like to climb, but if a predator is around they tend to sit on the top perches.

Just make sure you conduct a 10 point health and safety plan if you intend to let your bird out - in a shut room away from the dog!

Because of Suka's high prey drive...would he try to kill the bird?

I had a couple parakeets when I had Bo. Both were allowed to fly around the house 24/7. The first died of a broken heart (long story so won't go into detail) The second would always fly down to peck at my Terrier in his old age (he couldn't see much, couldn't move very fast and couldn't hear well anymore. Tweet would fly to the floor where Bud was sleeping and would pull the fur between his toes.

Guess after Bud died, Tweet was pretty lonely. Then I brought home Bo, my first Sibe. Apparently he tried to do this with Bo and ended up losing his life. All that remained was one tailfeather on the carpeting.

Bo hadn't shown any interest in him for years - just one day he decided he'd had enough and chose to make a meal of him. RIP Tweet.

We have a Cockatoo (12 years old), two Cockateils (14 and 15 years old) and a Lovebird (10 years old). All are handreared and are kept completely separate from the dogs. It is a constant challenge to make sure that the lounge door is closed as being handreared birds they have no fear of anything and I am sure would be easy prey to the dogs, especially Ollie who has a brain that thinks food 24/7. If you can't keep them separate I wouldn't suggest having a handreard bird and being handreared you get far better interaction with them than ordinary caged birds. If you can't keep them separate I would strongly reconsider getting another bird as they are long lived.

We have two parrots unclipped and until we brought home Shadow they used to fly around the house - were toilet trained etc,. Skye and Storm had been used to them from pups and so they were no big deal - the girl talks, calls thedogs by name and whistles incessantly and the male just makes odd noises - sound familiar to anyone :rolleyes: - anywayz after we got Shadow we did not have enough time to train him with the birds and have now set the birds up in their own room away from the danger of the dogs. We have loads of photos/vids somewhere of the parrot feeding the dogs - but in one vid my female parrot was feeding Skye a grape so I guess my birds had ulterior motives:whistling:

If you only have one dog It's doable but more then one they behave differently - I would be very cautious especially with an older dog and one as dominant as Suka. I had the opportunity to teach Skye and Storm that the birds were higher ranking than them. But missed that opportunity with Shadow and now I wouldn't chance it. (he is one year old). Good luck!;)

does the cage still have a 'bird scent' on it? maybe u could get suka used to it if it does - that way hes used to the smell of a bird b4 u even have 1 so its not as exciting and new for him?

No, unfortunately Pepi passed away 5 or so years ago...so the smell's long gone by now.

Hi there,

we have 4 lineolated parakeets, but as someone else suggested, they are not kept at ground level. I invested in quite an expensive cage though and it stands about 5ft high (with wheels), similar to this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberta-Drake-Medium-Parrot-Stand/dp/B002Y1OFTK/ref=sr_1_20?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1325526407&sr=1-20 (hope that was allowed!), so the dog isn't really interested in them. Being a previous birdie owner you'll know that parakeets like to climb, but if a predator is around they tend to sit on the top perches.

Just make sure you conduct a 10 point health and safety plan if you intend to let your bird out - in a shut room away from the dog!

I have a cage similar to that as well, but it doesn't have wheels and the cage is taller.

Thanks for the info!

We have two parrots unclipped and until we brought home Shadow they used to fly around the house - were toilet trained etc,. Skye and Storm had been used to them from pups and so they were no big deal - the girl talks, calls thedogs by name and whistles incessantly and the male just makes odd noises - sound familiar to anyone :rolleyes: - anywayz after we got Shadow we did not have enough time to train him with the birds and have now set the birds up in their own room away from the danger of the dogs. We have loads of photos/vids somewhere of the parrot feeding the dogs - but in one vid my female parrot was feeding Skye a grape so I guess my birds had ulterior motives:whistling:

If you only have one dog It's doable but more then one they behave differently - I would be very cautious especially with an older dog and one as dominant as Suka. I had the opportunity to teach Skye and Storm that the birds were higher ranking than them. But missed that opportunity with Shadow and now I wouldn't chance it. (he is one year old). Good luck!;)

I heard that female budgies and cockatiels would be more bossy than the male ones, so maybe that would help?

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 rabbbits and neither of mine have ever shown any interest in them other than to steal their food (go figure!!). I have even seen Teeko share the bowl with my big dutch, Smudge! Both Teeko and Keeta have been taught that the rabbits are (in the words of the Nemo sharsk) 'friends not food'. However....when at my sisters house on one occassion..teeko spotted her rabbits and would've eaten them in seconds given half the chance!

I always know there is a risk. I am always vigilant but I do know there is a risk. But...the rabbits were here first! I'm not about to get rid because I decided to bring huskies into my life.

The choice is yours! Be prepared to train a lot. Be prepared to be on edge pretty often until you feel confident. Be prepared for the worst! As if it did happen....you couldn't really blame Suka. But if the rewards outweigh the sacrifices then go for it! But dont forget....we like da pics of all da critters! :-D

I have 2 rabbbits and neither of mine have ever shown any interest in them other than to steal their food (go figure!!). I have even seen Teeko share the bowl with my big dutch, Smudge! Both Teeko and Keeta have been taught that the rabbits are (in the words of the Nemo sharsk) 'friends not food'. However....when at my sisters house on one occassion..teeko spotted her rabbits and would've eaten them in seconds given half the chance!

I always know there is a risk. I am always vigilant but I do know there is a risk. But...the rabbits were here first! I'm not about to get rid because I decided to bring huskies into my life.

The choice is yours! Be prepared to train a lot. Be prepared to be on edge pretty often until you feel confident. Be prepared for the worst! As if it did happen....you couldn't really blame Suka. But if the rewards outweigh the sacrifices then go for it! But dont forget....we like da pics of all da critters! :-D

I've seen him kill stuff before (squirrels, opossums, that robin with the broken wing), so I know what he's capable of.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'm still considering this whole thing.

Years ago I sold a puppy to a guy who had 2 cockatiels, and warned him about the potential of the birds becoming prey for his girl. Things went fine until she was around (as I recall) 2 years of age, when she managed to get one of the birds. Fortunately, he was very understanding about the nature of the beast!

So, my Dad sent me an email saying that he was thinking of getting a ferret cause he always wanted one as a kid.

He's getting older now (he's 66) and he has heart problems.

I sorta want to just get him the damn ferret so his childhood dreams come true before he...well...you know..., but I know Suka would just eat the poor thing. Besides, I looked up the care and they are hard work. So...I don't think its gonna happen.

Besides, I heard ferrets are vicious when they feel threatened and I don't want Suka all scratched up like he was with the opossum. The stupid thing almost got his eyes...it was so close! :(

Argh, why does life have to be so hard!? :(

In any case, I was waiting for the right moment to ask about getting another bird (or two). He hasn't responded to the email - he's usually slow responding to emails. So we'll see what he (and my mom) says.

• 3 weeks later...