Tinned Mackerel?

Does anybody else feed their dogs tinned mackerel fillets in tomato sauce? We give them to Sabre occasionally and he absolutely loves them, it's just I'ved noticed that half a tin contains 0.6g of salt which is 10% of an adults GDA and we give Sabre the whole tin. He doesn't get it regularly but this does seem quite a lot of salt!

I feed mine half a tine each once a week of Sardines in tomato sauce tbh never looked at the salt content but just looked now and it's got 0.9g in :( i would imagine this is the sauce though so am going to rinse them before feeding with kibble

Yeah, I feed Myshka a tin of sardines in brine 1.3g or in tomato sauce 1.5g per 100gm & the tin is 120gm - never even entered my head about the content! She does only get this once a week with her kibble, so maybe not too bad .......... but, like Sarah, will rinse the sauce & brine off from now on

I know a few guys on the racing circuit who give tinned sardines in sunflower oil, but put it in the dogs water to help with rehydration. Most of them say stay away from the brine/tomatoe sauce as the salt level is always to high. Hope this helps.

Laska hates tomatoe with a passion . but loves fish so i have to buy her smoked haddock or smokes cod from the fish counter. but she does love tuna from the tin.

i think she has bear is her as she seems to like fish more then any meat. is this normal with huskies ?

bowl of beef and bowl of fish . its fish 1st every time

Laska hates tomatoe with a passion . but loves fish so i have to buy her smoked haddock or smokes cod from the fish counter. but she does love tuna from the tin.

i think she has bear is her as she seems to like fish more then any meat. is this normal with huskies ?

bowl of beef and bowl of fish . its fish 1st every time

This is why I used to feed my lot Kronch, which is a salmon based food. My logic was that their diet would surely have been mostly fish when they were with the chukchi tribe. Of course I'm probably totally wrong as usual. Although they loved that food, and the tinned fish they get now, and the salmon treats, so maybe there is something to my theory:D

Interesting about the sardines in the water, will remember that one, added to rep.

I give mine sardines in sunflower oil, they love it, and its good for their coats.

I would stay away from the ones in brine, the salt content would be waaaaaaaay too high for the dogs I think.

I didnt know you could give them that but Im going to give it a try if its good for there coats ;)

micha gets some sunflower oil in her food, because she is fussy.

i think she is a vegetarian, she steals green beans from the vines, blackberrys fromt he park. she adores fruit.

she hates any tinned food, so she has raw mince and kibble.

saskia eats anything.

i will occasionally give them sardines in oil