Alaska's underweight!!

Went to the vets today to sort out Balto's red itchy spots, got some anti-b's for that and he will be fine. The vet looked at Alaska and asked are they the same age, i said: "yeah their bro and sis and are 1 yrs, why?" She said she looks underweight and asked if they both could be weighed...

Balto weighs 24kg

Alaska weighs 17kg

She lossed about 4kg in the last few weeks, the vet said they souldn't be able to see the pelvic bones and when they yawn you shouldn't be able to see all their ribs, the vet want to get her up to at least 20kg. I have been told to feed a mixture of moist and dry food 3 times a day instead of 2. I told her Balto eats 2 - 2 1/2 cups a day and Alaska will only eat 1 >>>> But then she told me to buy:

Bakers Complete

Butchers canned

and

Pedigree Meatloaf

I was baffed and said she was on Burns but the vet told me foods such as Burns will keep a dog trim and whilst its good im feeding it she would highly suggest mixing in Burns and a canned meat food.

I though these foods are like junk food for dogs? But doctors orders; i bought the food and mixed it in with burns and she really ate a lot >>>> What do you guys think.....is 18kg too light for a 1 year old sibe girl and will these foods be okay for now?

I did also say that her undercoat has shedded but i must say she is looking a little too skin and bone for my liking >>> i cant do satin balls as they gave her runs every time and i had to feed it with rice...so not my 1st choice for her..............

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my girl Topaz is 2yo i've had for 3 weeks we adopted her and she was thin my vet told me dry and can food so i got Pedigree Meatloaf and mixed with her dry she is coming along nicely and loves her food, cant see her ribs now and her coat is starting to grow and shine so it's doing her good.

i did feed 3 times a day but now she's putting weight on i cut it to 2 times a day, good luck xx

I think you feed the same as me ??? Burns Lamb for working dogs?

I mix chappie in sometimes with the food and they love it - i give this if they get a bit runny and seems to straighten them out - maybe that would work. Haven't got any in atm though so can't tell you the ingredients

I would agree with smithy on the food, all those E's aren't gonna do alaska any favours in the long run! I would put her on burns puppy kibble and break her meals into 3-4 times a day as Karen suggested...this is the regime that our old lab had to have as he was very underweight due to a condition with his pancreas...Puppy food has more calories in it and this should help. Working dog food is also good to bulk them up as it is high energy food again.

Hope Alaska 'chunks' out a little bit for you :) xxx

Smithy i know it doesn't look all that "complete" to me, but i am only mixing it in with her burns >> lets see how it goes, apparently it will help her gain some kgs!

Sarah - Yup were on high energy Lamb and the one for underweight dogs but Alaski will only eat a cup >> i will google chappie and give it a try, thanks

Karen - i know what you mean, Alaska doesn't have a huge appetite, so she will eat a little dry food and then be hungry again in a few hours >>> i think it needs to be a little moist for her to find it interesting. << She really wolfed dwon her mixture just now so i think it may do her some good. I will feed her 3 times a day only 'cos i know she wont eat 4 times >> ive tried it before lol

I would agree with smithy on the food, all those E's aren't gonna do alaska any favours in the long run! I would put her on burns puppy kibble and break her meals into 3-4 times a day as Karen suggested...this is the regime that our old lab had to have as he was very underweight due to a condition with his pancreas...Puppy food has more calories in it and this should help. Working dog food is also good to bulk them up as it is high energy food again.

Hope Alaska 'chunks' out a little bit for you :) xxx

Thanks Sammie >>>> i will give the Backers a try for this week >> but im only putting in 2 handfuls at the mo' >> The when her weight has picked up a bit i will do as advised ... i did wonder whether the vet knew what she was talking about but she did say they have had a success with it for weight gaining. But it wont be long term!

Sorry Im not really sure on this one ....? so I could be so wrong... :o If I was in your shoes I prob wouldnt fuss over what type of food is suggested not to be good in the long run just as yet, as the most important issue is getting Alaska's weight up so if changing her diet to somthing that your vet suggested (for a short period of time untill you reach her target weight ) then I dont see the prob in doing so.

At the end of the day you have to feed what works best for Alaska in order for her to put on weight. I could be so wrong so please dont just go on my advice but I do think your main issue is to get that weight up!!

Everyone has given great advice tho!! :D

let me know how you get on hope it all works out.

Chappie is what all the rescues used to feed, its one of the cheapest, but apparently one of the best for dogs that have had a varied diet up to that point, i.e. strays. Before the advent of all the premium and super premium foods, I was advised to feed Chappie, as I say, its cheap, but better than some of the others, such as Bakers Pedigree - in my opinion. It also smells disgusting to me, so the dogs love it, which should help you to get her to eat.

Chappie is what all the rescues used to feed, its one of the cheapest, but apparently one of the best for dogs that have had a varied diet up to that point, i.e. strays. Before the advent of all the premium and super premium foods, I was advised to feed Chappie, as I say, its cheap, but better than some of the others, such as Bakers Pedigree - in my opinion. It also smells disgusting to me, so the dogs love it, which should help you to get her to eat.

ROFL yep can agree with you on that - it STINKS lol

I use maybe 1 can a month, and have the odd meal where i add 2 spoons with their kibble - it seems to give their coats a nice soft feel and makes them shiny as well

Is Chappie good for weight gain though?

If the dog isn't interested in the dry food, then mixing the Chappie in should help them to eat, so it would be good for weight gain.

;)

Another good thing for putting weight on, is to get a chicken and boil it until its very well cooked. All the fat from the chicken will rise to the top of the pot and sit there, scrape that off and put it over the dogs dinner, guaranteed calories. I then also either use the rest of the stock as ice cubes for the dogs to munch on, or pour it over their dinner over the next few nights, with the cooked chicken mixed in.

I can't find the ingredients, but I take it back, apparently its low in fat, so wouldn't be very good for putting weight on! However, if it gets the dog to eat the dry food that it wouldn't otherwise, then it could still help, but a different tinned food, with more fat would probably be better.

Sorry. LOL

chappie ingredients:

Original Ingredients:

Fish & Fish Derivatives (including 4% fish)

Cereals (min 4%)

Meat & Animal Derivatives (including min 4% chicken)

Oils & Fats

Herbs

Minerals

found with a review here:

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Chappie__74766

so it's the fish in it that's responsible for the oils for the coat but to blame for the stench!!

ooh just wanted to add i gave her breaki this morning (which she never gets) so she was really happy. She had:

2 handfuls of Burns Hight Energy Lamb

1 Handful of Bakers

1/4 of a can of Pedigree Original meat loaf

And i will do this 3 times a day, breaki, lunch and dinner >>> resulting in her eating about 2 cups of dry food and a can of meat plus her midnight treat of a little raw!

Im going to buy the chappy today, and we usually give raw food everyday >> its mostly chicken, but i'll add some fatty cuts of lamb for Alaska. She really seems to respond to eatign little and often so fingers crossed she gains weigt:151:

Thanks Val >> added to rep, Im going to this massive pet shop in enfeild >> we go there when we are doing a bulk doggy shop lol They pretty much stock it all so i will go and see if we can buy some Chappie, i'll let you know if i haven't fainted due to the smell and if Alaski likes it ;)

Is that Jollyes in Crews Hill? I love that place, although the shop attached to it, Brothers pet store, that sells live animals is where we got our Sky from:eek: Saw her, and felt so sorry for her, total impulse buy!

They sell the raw, frozen meat there, so maybe buy that instead of the tinned food, if you have a freezer big enough. You can cook it in the microwave, or feed it raw.