Breeders in Lndon

Topaz

I would be careful about any website and any breeder. I think if people trying to find a good quality puppy from a good breeder use the following guidelines, they are much less likely to go wrong (from one of our SHWA leaflets):

There are hundreds of Siberian Husky breeders in the UK. Like most breeds the quality of dogs & breeders varies widely. A small proportion of breeders in the UK are reputable and responsible but most, unfortunately, are not. To the inexperienced it is often very difficult to tell the difference.

These are some of the indicators you can use to check breeders out:

• Are the dogs being bred Kennel Club registered and are the pups KC registered? KC registration is not a 100% guarantee, but it is a strong indication that the pedigree of your dog is accurate and honest. If sire, dam or the pups are not KC registered beat a hasty retreat at that point.

• Do they work and/or show their dogs? If not, why are they breeding? Most breeders breed litters to improve their stock for the show ring or the trail. If they are doing neither you have to assume that their main motivation is cash! - not the best reason for breeding dogs.

• How easy do they make it to buy a puppy? If you don't get the (friendly) third degree about your knowledge of the breed, the security of your garden & house etc. it is unlikely that they are a responsible breeder. Will they let you see the mum and dad and all their other dogs? You can learn a lot from the condition and temperament of the adult dogs in a breeder's kennel. On many occasions the breeder will have gone 'outside' for a mating so they won't actually own the stud dog, but they should be able to show you pictures, pedigree and health certification.

• Have the appropriate health tests for the breed been carried out on the parents? Although as a breed, the Siberian Husky is very healthy, all responsible breeders will screen their dogs for hereditary defects. In particular, they should be checked for hip and eye defects. Ask if the parents of the puppies are tested and ask to see the results.

• Will they expect you to sign a contract of sale in which you undertake to return the dog direct to the breeder if for any reason you cannot keep it and in which you acknowledge that the dog has breeding/export restrictions on its KC papers and cannot be bred from without agreement from the breeder? All responsible breeders will insist on this.

If you cannot tick all these boxes with a breederâ€â€walk away, breathe a sigh of relief and look elsewhere. It may take you some time, but it will be worth it in the long run. All husky puppies are beautiful, so don’t be tempted to buy the first one you see.

A useful guide to reading between the lines of websites is here - http://www.kaylenbergsiberians.com/BreedersOnline.htm

Mick

Take care with Champdogs. Like most sites of this type, theres no real control over who can list on them, and it has its fair share of 'breeders' soley in it for the money and a bot of a lottery if your not careful.

Afraid I can't help any further on London area. Only decent folk I know with a litter due any time soon are waaay up north near the borders.

Take care with Champdogs. Like most sites of this type, theres no real control over who can list on them, and it has its fair share of 'breeders' soley in it for the money and a bot of a lottery if your not careful.

Lyn is right - while there are some good breeders on Champdogs, there are also some appalling ones - after all, all you have to do to get listed is ask and pay a fee. The kennel mentioned by Smithy is a classic example - they had an dreadful reputation and when they did a moonlight and disappeared, we were contacted by one poor guy whose dog had been in their kennels for boarding and which had been sold by them prior to them disappearing. They turned up to pick up their dog - no kennel, no dog! Obviously this is an extreme example, but it does underline the fact that you simply cannot be too careful when picking a breeder.

@ John - Apart from us (obviously ;);)) there aren't any breeders I can think of in the London area that I would recommend, although there are several I would suggest that you don't even touch with someone else's bargepole. I think your friends would be wise to cast their net more widely and most importantly, be patient!!!. If they do find someone they feel is OK, you can always PM us to see whether we know of them. The problem is that the best breeders only breed rarely, whereas you can buy a crap puppy from a crap breeder at a few hours notice anywhere in the country.

Mick

The problem is that the best breeders only breed rarely, whereas you can buy a crap puppy from a crap breeder at a few hours notice anywhere in the country.

Mick

That is very true.

Are they willing to look further afield or are they looking in that area for transport reasons?