Maya doesn't eat her food, she inhales it!

Maya is about 6 months old now, we're doing great with her, there is one thing that bugs me though.

I feed her twice a day, about 1.5 cups of dry/wet dog food (pedigree puppy mix). We have gotten our routine down well, she sits on the floor patiently and quietly the entire time I am making her food, and even when I put it on the floor she will not touch it until i stand up and say "eat"

the problem is that she almost literally inhales her dog food every time. My wife and I were so amazed that we decided to time her last night -- 1.5 cups of food in a little over 8 SECONDS! I guess I don't mind this so much since she waits patiently, but afterward probably 90% of the time she has what we believe are hiccups (it's hard to explain, sort of a muffled "yelp" and her stomach quickly tenses every 10 seconds or so, it's actually quite adorable)

Is this a problem? Are we feeding her too much/too little? Our dog book says we're only supposed to feed her 1 cup every feeding, but we increased it to 1.5 due to this behavior of hers - so we know she is getting enough food.

This same activity happened when she got ahold of a ball of spaghetti that my 2 year old decided she didn't want on her plate. It hit the floor and I looked down about 2 seconds later and it was completely gone, maya just licking her lips. A FULL serving of spaghetti!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eika does the same if Josh drops some food, or if we haven't tied her up and look away for a second, she is on his highchair helping herself!

With HER food, i would suggest putting a tennis ball in the bowl, that way she has to work around the ball. OR buy a plastic ball you put the food in, and she has to work to get it out.

Eika does the same if Josh drops some food, or if we haven't tied her up and look away for a second, she is on his highchair helping herself!

With HER food, i would suggest putting a tennis ball in the bowl, that way she has to work around the ball. OR buy a plastic ball you put the food in, and she has to work to get it out.

ohh thats a good idea, added to rep.

Kimba eats his gracefully but Kimba, like Maya just inhales it lol, am going to put a tennis ball in his bowl tomorrow and see how that goes :)

George my man! >>>> Just be happy your not on here syaing "My sibe doesn't eat anything and is really fussy" <<< I think most of us has experinced our sibes being highly fussy and even i was worried about Alaska's weight. Alaska is 1 years and she only eats 1 1/2 cups a day!!!! Im glad your pup is eating enough, puppies tend to inhale and then get the hiccups <<< perfectly normal. As she matures she will learn to pace herself.....do you have a stand for her food? <<<< This may help, dogs arent ment to eat from the floor level as it can give her integestion...so a stand may help..heres a link:

You could be creative and find something in your home:

http://www.binkydognose.com/word/wp-content/uploads/2006/01/dogstand.jpg

OR

You could just buy one:

http://www.northcoastmarines.com/pics/pics_on_site/elevated_bowls.jpg

Good idea about the tennis ball, or a big stone in the middle of the bowl. The idea is just that they have to move it to get to the food, thereby slowing down the eating. I used to put a Kong in the middle of Nannuq's bowl, it worked.

George my man! >>>> Just be happy your not on here syaing "My sibe doesn't eat anything and is really fussy" <<< I think most of us has experinced our sibes being highly fussy and even i was worried about Alaska's weight. Alaska is 1 years and she only eats 1 1/2 cups a day!!!! Im glad your pup is eating enough, puppies tend to inhale and then get the hiccups <<< perfectly normal. As she matures she will learn to pace herself.....do you have a stand for her food? <<<< This may help, dogs arent ment to eat from the floor level as it can give her integestion...so a stand may help..heres a link:

Actually Maya does get a bit fussy sometimes but for the most part she's still a great eater! We are still mixing her food 50/50 (Wet/Dry, both pedigree puppy formula) - she still won't eat if there is no wet food, we tried to pull her off of it last month but we caved after she skipped 3 meals!

Also we do feed her out of a dog bowl on the ground...I definitely will get her a stand thanks for the info

All great ideas thank you guys, I think she would just move a tennis ball but we do have a kong for her I will put it in her bowl tonight and let you know how it goes!

I sometimes put salmon oil onto the dry food of fussy eaters, both my own dogs, rescues and kennel guests. Never failed me yet:) And great for their coat.

ah great advice - can you buy this on it's own do you know?

Actually Maya does get a bit fussy sometimes but for the most part she's still a great eater! We are still mixing her food 50/50 (Wet/Dry, both pedigree puppy formula) - she still won't eat if there is no wet food, we tried to pull her off of it last month but we caved after she skipped 3 meals!

Also we do feed her out of a dog bowl on the ground...I definitely will get her a stand thanks for the info

All great ideas thank you guys, I think she would just move a tennis ball but we do have a kong for her I will put it in her bowl tonight and let you know how it goes!

Is that it...just 3 meals and you caved!!!!! lol >> Alaska (also known as Queen Fuss) missed 4 days of eating...and had even lossed a few pounds:eek: .... and on the 4th day i offered the same James Wellbeloved food and she scoffed it down, then for a few weeks she would little bits and remain fussy... luckily i taught her young that she would eat whatever she had offered. Although my girl isn't a huge eater and never has been, she is a good solid weight for a female and is growing nicely. My best advice to you is to stick it out... i tell this to people a lot but they always seem to cave. However it is for her own good >> so if you ever want to wean her onto dry food:

- Offer it to her for no longer than 5 mins

- Dont give her any treats when she refueses to eat as she may just stock up on them and get full

- Dont give her table scarps or she will want the good stuff lol

- Give her plain rawhides...they take forever to chew, after an hour of chewing she will only have gained a mouthful of rawhide. They clean the teeth and entice an appetite.

IF you want to get her onto just kibble i suggest you do it now before she is stuck in her way. I feed raw food aswell to make sure Alaska gets all she needs. But it sounds like your little one eats really well so good luck!

I sometimes put salmon oil onto the dry food of fussy eaters, both my own dogs, rescues and kennel guests. Never failed me yet:) And great for their coat.

Great idea >> added to rep;) I Also put extra virgin, cold pressed Olive oil >> they love it and also does wonders for the coat. As a treat why not crack a raw egg in once a week >>> dogs love egg and its a great source of calcium...although no more than 1 egg per week as too much calcium can force the joints together and have the oppostie effect.

ah great advice - can you buy this on it's own do you know?

good question..does anyone have a link?

Is that it...just 3 meals and you caved!!!!! lol >> Alaska (also known as Queen Fuss) missed 4 days of eating...and had even lossed a few pounds:eek: .... and on the 4th day i offered the same James Wellbeloved food and she scoffed it down, then for a few weeks she would little bits and remain fussy... luckily i taught her young that she would eat whatever she had offered. Although my girl isn't a huge eater and never has been, she is a good solid weight for a female and is growing nicely. My best advice to you is to stick it out... i tell this to people a lot but they always seem to cave. However it is for her own good >> so if you ever want to wean her onto dry food:

- Offer it to her for no longer than 5 mins

- Dont give her any treats when she refueses to eat as she may just stock up on them and get full

- Dont give her table scarps or she will want the good stuff lol

- Give her plain rawhides...they take forever to chew, after an hour of chewing she will only have gained a mouthful of rawhide. They clean the teeth and entice an appetite.

IF you want to get her onto just kibble i suggest you do it now before she is stuck in her way. I feed raw food aswell to make sure Alaska gets all she needs. But it sounds like your little one eats really well so good luck!

Great idea >> added to rep;) I Also put extra virgin, cold pressed Olive oil >> they love it and also does wonders for the coat. As a treat why not crack a raw egg in once a week >>> dogs love egg and its a great source of calcium...although no more than 1 egg per week as too much calcium can force the joints together and have the oppostie effect.

good question..does anyone have a link?

oh great advice!!! cant add to rep yet cause I not long done so but will as soon as I can!