Video card compatibility to Motherboard? ? ?

aronoiiel

So either I'm really really dumb or google has officially lost my respect O_o I can't for the life of me figure out what video card will work in my PC without going to some stupidly old thing off ebay.

Long story short I got a Galaxy 430 and it didn't work in my desktop. The sound stopped as soon as I put it in and I tried everything I could find in tech forums to get it to work so I ended up returning it. I think it was to advanced for my desktop as my computer is 2005 (I know a dinosaur in computer terms). Now it was a 1gb 2.0 DDR3 card so I'm thinking maybe DDR3 and 1GB is to advanced since most cards are backwards compatible so it shouldn't be the fact that it's 2.0 right? So my question is this.

How the heck am I supposed to figure out what card to use? ? ? I don't really NEED a gig I'd be more than happy with a 512 but honestly I don't want to go buying up vid cards that aren't going to work :(

I find it really weird that your video card is affecting your sound card :confused:but suppose it could happen, run this program to find out the full spec's of your computer and post them up it will make it easier to help you :)

BTW a 2005 is not as old as you think :)

http://download.cnet.com/SiSoftware-Sandra/3000-2086_4-10740281.html

Sounds more like a hardware conflict than an incompatibility if Im honest. As suggested updating your motherboard bios would be a good thing to do, HOWEVER only if you know what you are doing.

There is a small possibility that the DDR3 memory is not able to be utilised due to the age of your machine, but its unlikely as the memory does not work with your main processor, instead in runs with your graphics processor and they are pratically their own motherboard these days.

Do a search on google for CPUz . Run this and let us know what your motherboard is (this will tell you) which mind give us more of an idea

Guess it woulda been smart to include that in my first post LOL. Thanks guys I thought it was odd to but if there's one thing I've learned from working on various desktops if it can happen it happens to me :confused: I'm tech savvy enough to get by but this has me stumped.

If it helps this is the card I got was an Nvidia Galaxy 430

The one I'm looking at now is a Galaxy 8400GS

So my desktop:

Compaq Presario(yes a cheap Walmart computer :P) SR1703WM pretty much all stock from the factory upgraded the ram though.

CPU: AMD Sempron 3200+ ( I giggle to see this) Socket 939

Ram: Corsair 1gb

Mobo: Asus A8AE-LE

Chipset: ATI Xpress 200

Bios: 3.13 (Now I know there's a 3.14 but I don't know how to update bios and I dont feel comfortable messing with it)

thanks for responding everyone this has been driving me nuts!

lol I like Asus myself and I'd honestly rather have an ATI card than an Nvidia but it's a good deal for the Nvidia lol and they don't have an ATI atm :(

I've got XP Professional on it and yeah I disabled the onboard video, went into bios enabled the onboard sound, tried going into device manager and looking for those oh so fun yellow question marks, and tried disabling the driver in device manager that was conflicting. Everything I could find through googling tech forums on the problem and nothing worked. The tech guy at the store I got it said the card might be to advanced for the board but idk I'm totally at a loss everyone else I've talked to says it doesn't make sense that the audio wouldn't work with the card given everything I tried to get it to work :confused:

I'd learn how to burn the BIOS. Stupid HP and their proprietary stuff!!! BIOS version 3.15 was cut to correct video problems being experienced with vista (( or cards being used with Vista<????> which could easily include what you've got.))

You might want to see if ASUS has a copy of 3.15 on their update site - makes updating a snap. (( But being an HP, probably not ))

3.15 is available here Just make sure you keep a copy of 3.13 on floppy/cd with the install program handy!

OK had a read up on both the motherboard and the card.

Scenario 1

Although most are backward compatible anyways there is a possibility that the card will not work in your slot. The slot you have is a PCIE 1.0 X16 whereas the card is PCIE 2.1 X16 . Its unlikley but this may be the cause of the problem. (NEW GRAPHICS CARD)

Scenario 2

As said above ensure you have switched off the onboard graphics, but also ensure that the PCIE port is swithed on which is also another thing that may need doing. Again with it being an Asus mothyerboard I would have thought this is an unlikely one but possible. They usually tend to detect what is in there and switch accordingly, however the BIOS has probably been set up by HP which basically means its done specifically for that chipset. (CHANGE BIOS SETTINGS/UPDATE BIOS)

Scenario 3

Some Asus motherboards can occasionally have problems with certain memory from my experience. There is a possibility that this is causing the problem. However the memory on this is run through the card alone, so very unlikley. (NEW CARD)

Scenario 4

Your power supply may be overloaded. If it is the one which came stock with your computer then it is likley to be a small pack. This would actually have been my first port of call if it hadnt been for your sound going off. This to me sounds like an IRQ conflict which is basically just the addressing of hardware. (CHANGE BIOS SETTINGS/UPDATE BIOS)

Ok so I'm going to try and update the bios and see if that works. If it doesn't then I'm assuming I may need to look for an older card? ? ?

Well I have to thank you all a ton :D I ended up getting a DDR2 card with 512mb and it works perfectly. Guess I'll just wait for my big shiny card for when I build my own pc lol