out door runs

as the dogs r currently destroying the garden we were thinking about sectioning a part of the garden off and building a run , as its gonna get worse in the winter as our garden doesnt drain very well, so we r looking for ideas as to what to use, does anybody have runs????? what size fences do you use??? etc etc , and would you build one run , or 3 seperate ones ???how much space is needed for each dog ??? any ideas please, the dogs would not live in the runs, they r indoor dogs, but currently if i let them out to play i have to go with them , would like something secure enough to be able to leave them in (then i might be able to go to the loo in peace ):D

Bo HATES being in a run. He would dig himself out or literally climb the fence to get out.

We have a rather large yard and so we ran a high tencil wire from the corner of the house to a tree in the back yard, some 50 foot away from the house. Then, we attached a 20 foot lead from the wire (the lead can move up and down the wire), being certain he couldn't wrap himself around any obstacles between the house and that tree. He loves it.

While not an option for every yard, this works wonders for us and Bo doesn't realize he's even on a lead.

We considered putting in a run for our last Husky, but she was a jumper, a climber, and a digger. She could climb chain link fencing with ease, so if yours are like that, you may need to put a cover of some sort to prevent escape. It would also provide shade.

Burrying the fence several feet below the surface, or putting a mesh horizontally a foot or so down and several feet out on the inside deters escape from digging.

Some Huskies can jump a five foot fence, so if yours can jump, that may need to be considered as well.

As far as size goes, we were going to put in a 10 ft by 15 ft (3 M by 4.5 M).

We instead, put in an underground fence inside the perimeter of our already fenced yard, since we had given up the garden.

http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/item--Easy-Assemble-Mesh-Dog-Runs--mesh-dog-run---dogs

Hey ya,

I saw this and I thought it might help or give you an idea. :D

Mary & Grey

x x x x x x x

Added to rep Mary - like the look of this, have been thinking of a run for my two boys, I wouldn't have it on the garden though, probably on the patio but would need to figure out a way of securing it so they couldn't tip it up or move it

Yea a concrete floor is a definate must!!!! To make sure they are completely safe I'd use metal fencing.....I know mine would be through the wooden ones in an hour or so! Also put a roof on it......keep then shaded when its too warm, and out of the really bad weather! :)

I'm going to be doing a kennel/run at some point soon....will try and look for a pic of the kind of thing i'm going to do and post it up for u

x

We used to have one. I built it myself on a concrete base made of wood (4" x 4" pillars) with chain link fencing wrapped all round, and across the roof. Alot cheaper than buying "off the shelf", only problem was they hated it bark, bark, bark, howl, howl, howl, so we put up a new fence and I re-designed it and made this,

100_0082.jpg

As you can see they like the new version...

hi, im currently making a run for isha and keira (just came in for a break from digging lol), im using half burried railway sleepers round the edges to stop isha digging out, 8 foot metal fence posts that we already have with 3 foot underground, i will use chainlink or weld mesh panels for the walls and corragated perspex for the roof, its only about 10 foot by 10 foot but they will only be in it if we are going to be out all day and into the evening and maybe once in a blue moon if we go out overnight (chance would be a fine thing), were only out all day a couple of times a month and only stay out all night a few times a year, we usually take isha and fold the seats down in the car and she likes to sleep there but now we have keira and a new car thats not gona happen any more lol. were gona make a kennel big enough for both of them aswell, does that sound alright?

We are looking at building an outside run when we have a home of our own (Landlord doesnt want us building a run in the garden as he wants the garden to stay as it is). If you are looking at keeping them in there on their own, like when you go out, I would look at one which is equipped with a roof and then you can leave them in there and not worry so much about the being able to climb out. Solid concrete floor definately, its easy to clean and your guys (and gal) can't dig them selves out either.

This is what I was looking at getting for a run (description anyway) so far:

1) 6ft walls, either fenced, metal or brick with strong sturdy secure roof that will provide shelter

2) 3 clean, weatherproof, unused wine barrels or something similar for sleeping/beds - edges smoothed down to prevent any cuts!

3) Concrete or strong flooring that cannot be dug, easily, with a section of the floor sunken in to make a small paddling area for hot weather

thats as far as I have got so far, havent yet made any desision of how big its going to be as it will be our own home not where we are now.