Is This A Good Sibe Breeder?

For me, part of being a reputable, ethical breeder is that the main motivation for breeding is to produce a puppy for YOU - any puppies that are produced in excess of YOUR puppy are a bonus. A breeder whose aim is to produce puppies for the market - even if they only have one litter each year, is, in my view, a commercial breeder.

The rescue crisis in Siberians here in the UK is a direct result of breeders creating puppies for the market rather than for themselves. Good, reputable, ethical breeders tend to spend more time trying to educate people about the realities of living with the breed and dissuading people from buying pups than they do trying to sell them.

Of course if you are a commercial breeder, it is better to be a commercial breeder of good quality dogs than poor quality ones, but you are still a commercial breeder.

Mick

I get what you're saying Mick :) Which is why I used the example of one of my breeders as a breeder who can have four litters a year and yet still be a reputable and ethical breeder. She only breeds to contribute something to her breeding program, she always keeps at least one dog out of her litter to show and potentially breed from. She spent hours on the phone to me talking to me about the positives and negatives of the breed, vets homes carefully, all pups are sold on limited register pedigrees unless going to a show/breeding home etc.

I worry about any breeder who breeds just because and without any purpose. Matings should be carefully planned and researched and they should only breed for the betterment of the breed, not just for the sake of it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 breeders i have contacted have said they only breed with an interest to keep one or more puppies for themsleves, they do not breed for looks, eye colour, >>> and this is true, with most people out there the blue eyes is very popular, the kennels i have seen mostly consist of brown eyes (which i think is beautiful!) >>> They have been welcoming but not in a 'sale'sy' kind of way, >>> I think i have got pretty good ones.....

what would happen if you did import and there was something wrong with the puppy???, long way to take it back, and would they take it back, saw an ad the other day for somebody trying to rehome a foreign dog, with papers , obviously not uk papers and they were having trouble, think it even said the rescue center wasnt interested,

what would happen if you did import and there was something wrong with the puppy???, long way to take it back, and would they take it back, saw an ad the other day for somebody trying to rehome a foreign dog, with papers , obviously not uk papers and they were having trouble, think it even said the rescue center wasnt interested,

I dont think that is likely if the breeder is reputable...... but it is somthing to take into consideration!

I just want to scream, what is wrong with you...but i know that wouldn't go down well...as i would have to go into a whole explanation as to why...and i don't have the energy.

Well if you dont have the energy to explain you shouldn't have said anything at all, 'cos now i want to know;) As your reply has not helped me at all nor has it even given your opinion, one could even question the reason for this feeble reply in the first place....so please share:)

smeagle - I think there are a lot of issues we agree on on this topic, a few we don't. And that's OK. It's what makes things interesting.

Not all large kennels are bad, many of them are reputable. Same with small kennels. Here in the US, we have more puppy mills, backyard breeders, and gold diggers breeding puppies. With the economy, it's a growing industry. The largest puppy mill in the country was recently busted up in Georgia. The primary breed? Siberian Huskies. Those are the breeders that are without question, bad. The good thing in all of this, is I think most of us here are reputable owners. We are the check to keep the breed in balance. Forums like this enlighten, entertain, offer differing views; but most of all provide a wealth of information.

i'm frustrated that's all...and i felt i couldn't say nothing at all, but really didn't want to get into a scrap...

anyway, deleted now!

If you want to forget it thats fine! In fact i dont even know what your forgetting, but i would like everyone in this thread to express their feelings and opnions, so please dont hesitate to share, and i agree, i dont feel like any arguments and there is no reason to have one:)

Thanks a lot Dale >>>added to rep :D

And Sarah, please next time do share, your opinion is valid just like everyone else and if people get a little insulted in proccess (lol) no harm done, but im sure you could tell me your opnion and be polite? And the rule of not saying anything nasty contradicts itself if you hint it but then walk away!

But lets forget it, but next time do share!

ok i gotta say it as i don't understand...why are you looking for a breeder/pup outside the UK?

Do you plan to breed/show this pup?

If not, what is wrong with getting a rescue/a pup from this country?

lol at last!!!

Yes i really want to show, i love sibes and want to have them from all around the world! I know there is nothing wrong with a sibe from this country or even a rescue. In fact Balto is a rescue, returned to the breeder, and even he couldn't manage him, he was nervous, a fear biter, naughty under it all, we spent soo much more time and money on him than it would take to just buy and train a new puppy.

So yes, i want to show with the blood line i like >>> Thats what breeders do all over, they choose a blood line or blood lines they 'deem' to be true, and import all over the world. I dont want to become a breeder however me and the family would love to show. I dont think its that crazy?

well why, in the beginning when everyone was asking you, did you not say this. It makes a lot more sense as to why you would like to import...

I think the reason why people are questioning this is because you have stated that you would have the puppy shipped, you haven't indicated that you would go and pick out a puppy, then collect it etc etc...

My concern is that you will get this puppy and enter a show and not like what you see...as you have stated previously (i think it was you) that you do not completely agree with the show world...fair enough the dog will be loved even if you do not consider showing, but then it goes back to the question of why import in the first place, why not just get a rescue or a uk dog? (at least then its cheaper, and this will give you experience showing before you pay out a lot of money to get an import) It will also give you an understanding of what the judges are really looking for, and you can therefore make a more informed choice of what sort of line you would like to go for...as i'm assuming you want to win no? and what if all the dogs the judges are placing 1st are completely different to the type/line you want...as it is totally different showing than being told about a show.

anyway, all people on here are trying to do is what is best for you and for the husky world. At the end of the day we are not your parents and so cannot actually make your decision, as i'm assuming they will be paying for this new pup, so ultimately they, i assume would have the final say.

blah this was a lot more than i thought i was going to say, and i'm sure a lot of it makes no sense as it is just all scrambled in my head...

...i just can't understand why your first showing dog has to be an import? i bet most people didn't start with an import???

well why, in the beginning when everyone was asking you, did you not say this. It makes a lot more sense as to why you would like to import...

I think the reason why people are questioning this is because you have stated that you would have the puppy shipped, you haven't indicated that you would go and pick out a puppy, then collect it etc etc...

My concern is that you will get this puppy and enter a show and not like what you see...as you have stated previously (i think it was you) that you do not completely agree with the show world...fair enough the dog will be loved even if you do not consider showing, but then it goes back to the question of why import in the first place, why not just get a rescue or a uk dog? (at least then its cheaper, and this will give you experience showing before you pay out a lot of money to get an import) It will also give you an understanding of what the judges are really looking for, and you can therefore make a more informed choice of what sort of line you would like to go for...as i'm assuming you want to win no? and what if all the dogs the judges are placing 1st are completely different to the type/line you want...as it is totally different showing than being told about a show.

anyway, all people on here are trying to do is what is best for you and for the husky world. At the end of the day we are not your parents and so cannot actually make your decision, as i'm assuming they will be paying for this new pup, so ultimately they, i assume would have the final say.

blah this was a lot more than i thought i was going to say, and i'm sure a lot of it makes no sense as it is just all scrambled in my head...

...i just can't understand why your first showing dog has to be an import? i bet most people didn't start with an import???

Ok, i see what your saying and a lot of it makes sense! Like i said, i want sibes from all over the world, if the judge doesn't like then they dont like >> It wont stop me from going, its not all about winning. Im not saying i will never get a UK sibe 'cos i dont like them, however what is the UK sibe? So many breeders import from France, Russia, America and incorperate them into their own lines, sometimes a judge will like the leaner sibes and then others will favour the chunkier ones >>> Just because i buy from the UK its not a gurantee i will win as it vaires so much here.

I understand about not seeing what i like, but they will always be a loved pet first, show dog second. Actually i will be paying for everything, Mum gave me the okay, but being 18 now its more freedom:party:

It will be the family dog however in my name, my mum also wants to show and has found a breeder in Hampshire where we are moving to in 2 years time. I really dont think theres anything wrong with shipping as long as the breeder is reputable. Quiet a few people have shipped their very first show sibes (ages ago) In my book: The Complete Siberian Husky, a woman shipped her first show sibe from America with success.

Why dont you conact a breeder in the UK that also has an interest in american lines??? you could have the best of both worlds the, the line of sibe you really want, and the support afterwards :) Would be nice to have the support of your puppies breeder as you enter the world of showing!

Like I said earlier Ice - I think your time, money and energy is better saved by buying your first show sibe from the UK and using it as a learning experience, so if you then still want to import down the track, have a better idea and understanding of how it works and what you want.