Advice on waking up times?

Sorry for yet another post asking for advice! I've really appreciated everyones help with my other questions & have had such good advice! So thanks to everyone whos helped already! :)

My last main question is, does anyone have any advice on helping to teach them to get up when you get up? The previous dogs we've had learned quickly to not whimper to wake us & that they get up when we do. Currently Nico screams to get us up at around 4:30, obviously we cannot get up at this time, we have been letting him out for toilet around 3am-3:30, so we know it's not that, the one time I did get up at this time (waited till he was taking a breath from screaming first!) all he did was roll around on the grass & try & get me to play! I put him straight back, & ignored him till normal wakeup time - 7am, but he literally screamed from when I put him back in till I got up. We aren't the type to want to get up at 12pm, so were not asking him to be stuck in there for ages, just till a more reasonable hour! Or am I looking at having to start getting used to getting up at 4am?! Hah!

The ignoring them till our wake up time (& obviously them getting a bit older) & into a routine, worked well with our previous pups, is it just a case of doing the same for him & eventually he'll get it? I guess it all just seems much more extreme & like its taking much longer than I remember it being with the others because of his stubborness & very loud screeches! Lol! Just wanted to check if anyone had any other advice or has experience with this & huskys? They sure are good at really trying to get you to cave in first! Lol!

Guest Nush&Koda

Well our two have always been pretty good at letting us sleep. So we haven't had that problem. However, as soon as Nushka hears our alarm go off, she wants us downstairs... and she cries and hollers until we get up... so no more snoozing the alarm for 30 mins like i used to lol

He's just a pup at the moment, 9 weeks, so I'm in no doubt he will be better once hes a bit older, and once he's had all his jabs so we can go for a proper walk! Weve been putting him to bed around 11, as this is the general time we go to bed, sometimes we go later, but we wanted to get him into a strict routine, at least whilst hes a pup, so it's 11 even if we stay up a bit later. Just wanted to check if I'm doing the right thing in ignoring him now, so he doesn't get into the habit of waking at this time? Or should I be more flexible with him till he can have a proper walk .etc?

Yuri was always in our room from a pup. But when I moved we weren't allowed to have the dogs upstairs because we rent and the landlord requests that they don't go on the carpet. I do take them up sometimes, but I carry them over the carpet. Anyway, Aya howled a lot when we first moved and cried because she wanted to be near us. I ignored it. It took a while but she doesn't cry unless she needs the toilet now.

He will get it, just ignore his wailing. Ours used to start whimpering at about 5am in the morning, but we knew he needed to go out so for a while we had to wake up at that time. Then, when we figured he could hold it, just started to take him out later and later, regardless of his whimpering (as at that point he could surely hold it).

Also, we found that the later we kept him awake, the more he would sleep in the morning so it would be worthwhile to try to keep him awake for longer and see if he wakes up at the same time.

That's reassuring :) He pretty much seems to sleep after he's had his last meal, we try to keep him awake but he just looks at us as if to say, urghh, not now! Lol! But hopefully when we can take him for a walk in the morning & before bed this will keep him awake & make him properly tired for bed.

So really same as with putting him to bed, just earphones & ignore all whimpering if he clearly doesn't need the toilet until we decide to get up / let him out?

When I told my sister that I joined this website, I referred to it as a "husky support group." They are definitely unique in the dog world, that's for damned sure!

Is Nico crated or just in his own room? Because he is a pup, I don't think ignoring him is going to be the fastest solution. If he woke you up, go to where he is and give him a firm "no." If he starts to cry while you are still there, reiterate "no" with a correction - I make mine sit or down depending on their level of excitability. Only then can you leave and ignore his cries, because you've acknowledged him and indicated to him that you don't like crying at night and it gets him nothing. Any pets or love contradicts the intent, so it's just a "no" and back to sleep.

It's not a fix that will happen overnight, but he will get the point. If you cave and let him out, he'll just learn that 3 hours of crying = outside, so he'll do what it takes. In the morning, make sure he learns to be quiet before you allow him out, and he'll learn that quiet is rewarded while crying gets him nothing. But with huskies especially (I've never met a more vocal breed!) responding even once to whining encourages them!

Solitaryhowl - dont worry, he has toilet breaks, and so far has had only a few little accidents in his crate. He goes to bed at about 11, i take him outside for toilet around 3 & then he tends to wake up at 4:30 wanting to play, I wouldn't try to leave him 11-7 without toilet breaks at his age, as I know he can't hold it :)

He is crated downstairs, I will try out doing the "no" & sit & see if it calms him quicker :) I never let him out when he's crying, he has to be quiet & calm before I open the door, as I had already been warned by numerous people who have crated that it is possibly the worst thing to do! :P

Thanks guys! Good to know that it will eventually get better! Tearing my hair out at the moment through lack if sleep! :P

I was starting to think it's because he's the only one & was one of those dogs that just can't cope without another! He can't even stand to be alone 5 minutes even with the run of the house whilst I go toilet, but hopefully that's just part of the phase all puppy's go through & once he's fully settled he'll be a bit more independent?