When will she mellow out???

Danielle

My husky Mavi just turned 1 year old. Now I know it is a high energy bred and I knew that when we got her but, Mavi is one of those extreme high energy huskies (some of you out there know what I am talking about). We really love her. However, she drives my husband NUTS! I just had her spayed ( which I was told could help a little) and I try to take her to the park everyday. But at what age do huskies start to have less energy? It has come down to if she doesn't calm down we have considered finding a new home with another dog. The problem is that the husband is military and will be deployed in October and I will be working full time and its not fair to Mavi to be locked up 40 hours a week.

WHat should we do and when will she mellow down a little.

Let me add that I dont simply walk her in the park. I am talking about a huge fenced dog park where she plays with lots of other dogs for about 2 hours

There's no specific 'mellow out' age. Some will settle by about 5 years (which I think seems average), but some act like puppies right up until the day they die. No one will be able to tell you for sure. Would it be possible for you to maybe start canicross, bikejoring, scootering etc, so that she gets a long, tiring workout instead of a walk in the park everyday? That might make her calmer at home.

I would think that she might retain her higher energy level, but it's hard to say, she could mellow out sooner, rather than later. I would try to up the stakes as far as wearing her out, either by giving her more intense exercise with a bike or a scooter, if it's possible, or getting her to a dog park or another situation where she can play with other dogs. Another good option would be to tire her out mentally with training - especially if you can get her into a training class somewhere.

There's no specific 'mellow out' age. Some will settle by about 5 years (which I think seems average), but some act like puppies right up until the day they die. No one will be able to tell you for sure. Would it be possible for you to maybe start canicross, bikejoring, scootering etc, so that she gets a long, tiring workout instead of a walk in the park everyday? That might make her calmer at home.

I dont walk her in the park. I am dragged behind LoL JK no we go to a huge dog park where she plays with other dogs for about 2 hours every other day.

I would think that she might retain her higher energy level, but it's hard to say, she could mellow out sooner, rather than later. I would try to up the stakes as far as wearing her out, either by giving her more intense exercise with a bike or a scooter, if it's possible, or getting her to a dog park or another situation where she can play with other dogs. Another good option would be to tire her out mentally with training - especially if you can get her into a training class somewhere.

We do go to a dog park about 2 hours every other day with lots of other dogs. I will have to see if i can work her on a bike it makes me nervous especially if there is another animal in sight. as for training class Bahahahahahahahaha:doglaugh:YEAH RIGHT... We tried and it wasn't the best idea maybe a private trining session would been better.

Why didn't the training work? Sibes are known to be very stubborn, as you know, but they are intelligent and learn quickly if you know how to work with them.

If you have a treadmill, try treadmill training her. Look up videos on youtube on how to do that - eventually if it works out, you can leave her on it for hours while you're doing something else.

If you have a treadmill, try treadmill training her. Look up videos on youtube on how to do that - eventually if it works out, you can leave her on it for hours while you're doing something else.

Great idea - but you DO need to be near supervising, so that you can make sure she doesn't get hurt!

Blaze Loves the Treadmill when hes on it, or if I jump on it he wants on, Tasha however runs away from it as soon as it starts up, and I cant figure out why. Treadmills for them are ok but theres nothing to compare with taking them out as its a lot more mental stimulation for them on a Walk than it is physical stimulation.

The Play I would assume is more physical however :)

Why didn't the training work? Sibes are known to be very stubborn, as you know, but they are intelligent and learn quickly if you know how to work with them.

There were other dogs at the training that wanted to play too. she was so wired I couldn't believe it. even after going to the park she was crazy. she is very smart but was sooooo distracted.

also we tried the treadmill training when she was about 5 months she HATES the treadmill. not sure why she never had reason to be afraid of it.

There were other dogs at the training that wanted to play too. she was so wired I couldn't believe it. even after going to the park she was crazy. she is very smart but was sooooo distracted.

also we tried the treadmill training when she was about 5 months she HATES the treadmill. not sure why she never had reason to be afraid of it.

Try to use positive reinforcement. Suka was scared of the treadmill at first too.

Place treats around the treadmill when it is off. Keep on doing it until she is comfortable being in the same room as it is. Then, after she is comfortable, turn the treadmill onto the lowest speed. If she stays calm, continue to treat her.

Yep she sounds like she needs training and lots of it! Physical exercise will only make a dog fitter and stronger in the long run requiring even more exercise to tire them out. Mental exercise is CRUCIAL to a happy well balanced dog!

Even high drive working line dogs can be taught to have an off switch, but they need the training to get there.

If she can't focus around other dogs in a training class than taking her to the dog park to play with other dogs for hours every day won't be helping...

My Sibe will be nine years old in a couple of weeks and arthritis has slowed him down some but he is still an active drivey dog. Most people are shocked to know how old he is and don't believe me when I tell them how bad his arthritis is!

I agree with the others, some huskies just don't ever calm down. Luna's coming up for one soon and she's incredibly active but at the same time can crash out and sleep for hours.

Now I am all for working people owning huskies, aslong as the infrastructure is in place to consider the needs of your dog. You need to start looking into either doggie daycare or a dog walker to come in and take your girl out for a walk half way through the day, especially if she's high energy. Do you live on a base? Do you have friends who could pop in and visit her while you're out?

Do you ever leave her on her own in the house? If not then I suggest you start training her now, Luna suffers with Seperation Anxiety (SA) which we've been training out of her so that she's not stressed out to be left alone. SA is apparently quite common in huskies because they're such a pack animal breed, if she's never left alone you may find she struggles when you suddenly start leaving her all day. If you have been leaving her, and she's fine, then you lucky thing and I am very jealous! :)

One thing is, what do you feed her? I heard recently (and I may be wrong, please don't shoot the messenger) that feeding a raw diet can give your dog a huge amount of energy!!

Either way, best of luck and I hope you find a workable solution for your girl. :)

Bo will be 2 in November. I have just come back from exercising him for 2 1/4 hours. 1 hour on lead and the rest split into two sessions in an off lead dog enclosure playing with other huskies, malies and other assorted breeds. He slept in the car on the way home 25 mins max. He has within 15 mins of being home now gone bouncing off for another walk with my son to see his girlfriend off at the station. Bo now has a backpack in which I put a small bottle of water either side as weights. This makes him have to work harder when out on his walk. He also loves going on the walky dog attachment to my bike which also tires him out. Both the walky dog and the backpack have been absolute God sends as just a walk in the park will not flatten Bo's fizz.

• 8 years later...

Well I’m not complaining but I am wondering with a little concern about having a beautiful 2 1/2 yr old female Siberian Huskey full bred who while spirited and sassy has always been a sprinter of sorts playful with  other puppies but would tire easily quickly when playing . Sometimes she needs encouragement to go for walks. She was tested and is beg for Lyme and her appetite and bright eyes and cost are lovely. Has anyone known if a mellow or lazy Huskey or limited stamina but is not depressed lives to romp for short spurts. Appreciate feedback