suka tries some raw

Oh gosh, I almost hesitate to post this response. . .

Don't want to poo-poo on your exuberance for feeding raw, nor do I wish to cause you any needless anxiety, but I hope if the salmon was not cooked, that it had been frozen for at least two weeks. Salmon carry a parasite that can be lethal to dogs if the fish is eaten raw. Not all salmon have the parasite, but many do. It requires heat through fully cooking or frozen at 0*F (-32*C) for fourteen days to kill the parasite. The parasite does not affect human consumption.

The reason I am aware of this, someone brought their dog into the local clinic. Their dog was deathly ill. After questioning the owner at length, the vet finally found out, but too late, that the dog had been given raw salmon the night before. Had the owner fessed up when they first brought the dog in, it would have been much less expensive and there was a good chance the dog could have been saved.

Thankyou for the info Mazz ...... Rep given .... These kinda things are what makes this site worthwhile.

Seemed to definately like it anyways lol ... Just need to bare the above in mind :) ..

Oh gosh, I almost hesitate to post this response. . .

Don't want to poo-poo on your exuberance for feeding raw, nor do I wish to cause you any needless anxiety, but I hope if the salmon was not cooked, that it had been frozen for at least two weeks. Salmon carry a parasite that can be lethal to dogs if the fish is eaten raw. Not all salmon have the parasite, but many do. It requires heat through fully cooking or frozen at 0*F (-32*C) for fourteen days to kill the parasite. The parasite does not affect human consumption.

The reason I am aware of this, someone brought their dog into the local clinic. Their dog was deathly ill. After questioning the owner at length, the vet finally found out, but too late, that the dog had been given raw salmon the night before. Had the owner fessed up when they first brought the dog in, it would have been much less expensive and there was a good chance the dog could have been saved.

I looked into that when someone posted it on another forum and it's only relevant if you're in the US.

ETA: Specifically, it's only relevant for salmon from the Pacific Northwest of the USA

I'm, of course, in the US. The problem is, posting this type of information on the Internet seems harmless. Someone sees the video who is in the US, and is not aware of the problem, feeds their dog raw salmon that is infested, and, well, I think you can imagine the outcome. I'm glad you were aware and that there were no issues for you.