Pitbulls: The nanny dogs?

Well, that's one thing I didn't knew about pit bulls. This is a really interesting read.

tumblr_ljm8z67YLX1qj1a0to1_4002.jpg

Astoundingly, for most of our history America’s nickname for Pit Bulls was “The Nanny Dog”. For generations if you had children and wanted to keep them safe you wanted a pit bull, the dog that was the most reliable of any breed with children or adults.

The Nanny Dog is now vilified by a media that always wants a demon dog breed to frighten people and LHASA-APSO BITES MAN just doesn’t sell papers. Before pit bulls it was Rottweilers, before Rottweilers it was Dobermans, and before them German Shepherds. Each breed in it’s order were deemed too vicious and unpredictable to be around people. Each time people wanted laws to ban them. It is breathtakingly ironic that the spotlight has turned on the breed once the symbol of our country and our national babysitter.

Read more + pictures

Well, that's one thing I didn't knew about pit bulls. This is a really interesting read.

tumblr_ljm8z67YLX1qj1a0to1_4002.jpg

Astoundingly, for most of our history America’s nickname for Pit Bulls was “The Nanny Dogâ€Â. For generations if you had children and wanted to keep them safe you wanted a pit bull, the dog that was the most reliable of any breed with children or adults.

The Nanny Dog is now vilified by a media that always wants a demon dog breed to frighten people and LHASA-APSO BITES MAN just doesn’t sell papers. Before pit bulls it was Rottweilers, before Rottweilers it was Dobermans, and before them German Shepherds. Each breed in it’s order were deemed too vicious and unpredictable to be around people. Each time people wanted laws to ban them. It is breathtakingly ironic that the spotlight has turned on the breed once the symbol of our country and our national babysitter.

Read more + pictures

I make no claims one way or the other, however Eric Hoffer makes a good argument in the nanny dog myth revealed

For myself, I've seen pit's that were as gentle as any dog I've seen, I've seen others that I wouldn't want to see without a fence 'tween me and them.