How to Show Your Dog Leadership

There is a saying that dogs are a man's best friend; however, this may not be always the case. There are many cases out there of dogs being food possessive by growling at their owner, or dogs that will jump all over and nip for attention. In many cases, dogs with these behavioral problems lack one very simple thing and that is, leadership from their owners.

Seven Secrets to a Much More Obedient Dog

* Let Him Sit and Stay

Let's say it's dinner time. Instead of just placing the food bowl down and letting your dog eat right away, have him sit and stay instead. At this point you are in charge of the food, therefore, you are in a dominant role. He will only eat once you tell him so. Practice the same before petting your dog, giving him toys, giving him water. Your dog will see you through different eyes and will respect you more.

* Get Out First

When exiting a door, owners should be first. In the wild, the alpha leader dogs are the first to come out from tight passages. Have your dog sit in front of the door, exit first and then call the dog to you. This is also a great way to teach dogs not to escape out of doors, something that can turn out potentially dangerous if you live near a trafficked area.

* Off the Bed

Alpha leaders have priorities over the pack and alpha dogs are often found to sleep in higher spots overlooking the valley. In a home setting, dogs allowed to sleep on beds or couches will think that they must be equal to humans.

* Teach Your Dog to Heel

Leashed dogs must be beside their owner or slightly behind. A dog in front of the owner pulling, does not see the owner as leader. Establish your leadership by having your dog walk nicely with you and not in front of you.

* No More Jumping

A dog jumping on his owners may seem very happy and excited but again, in their eyes you are equal. Only pet your dog when he is with all feet on the floor. Should he insist on jumping on you, say "off", move away or show him your back. Only pet him once he is sitting nicely.

* Always Let the Dog Come to You

Don't go to your dog to pet him or to put his leash on. Rather call him and let him come to you. This makes your dog learn that good things happen when he comes to you and that you are the main decision maker.

* Try to Eat First

In nature, alpha leaders eat first and leave the left overs for those lower in rank. You should eat first and your dog should be waiting patiently across the kitchen. No begging or giving table scraps. The dog will eat only once you are finished.

Establishing leadership towards your dog doesn't have to be a difficult task. As a matter of fact, it can be pretty easy if you are consistent and firm. Too many times owners tend to "baby" their dog allowing them to have the full run of the house and getting away with too many things. If you have just adopted a puppy consider starting your leadership role from day one. If your dog is an adult instead, with a bit of time, the changes should take place.

my girls are not allowed on the bed.. they have sofa in conservatory they are allowed on but on sofa in living room they are only allowed if invited...

also when going thru doorways etc .. they are made to wait untill i have gone first.. if they dive thru i make them come back and then sit while i go first.. and allways make them sit before placing food down..

another fantastic thread sarah :)

I will be honest and say our biggest draw back is letting them on the sofas and they do go on the beds! They are quite good at going back down when told to do so.

Amy I honestly believe it is a bit of an old wives tail.

If you had a dog that was being dominant/bossy/having behaviourial problems overall then I wouldn't recommend it. But if you have well behaved dogs I don't see the problem on letting them on the furniture *on your terms*. It is far more important IMO and shows much more if your dog will get off the lounge when you tell them to than if they simply aren't allowed up at all.

That's not to say there is something wrong with not letting your dogs on furniture, Micha rarely if ever comes on furniture.