Design A Van Interior For A Husky

Dave

So, I'm getting a Citroen Berlingo van as my next vehicle and will be collecting it in a couple of weeks. I'm going to fit it out to suit kodi, so things like a dog bowl holder etc. I will make this out of wood as i can work with this quite well.

So if your up for it i want to see an interioir fit for a husky. Below are a couple of pictures of the van interior to help and the best design gets 100,000 Dave points!!

5451.jpg

545.jpg

EDIT: I forgot to add that i want kodi to have the whole 'boot' (no dog cages) all there will be is a clear 'Mesh' between the cab and the back

dog bowl of course good idea

also if kodi will drink out it to stop water spillage a rabbit water feeder attached to a wall might be a good idea?

boxed area for kodi to lie? lol depends how you drive bella slides around the back of my car so we bought a box type of item =s its made of material and has four walls just helps her keep in one position if she wants to sleep so she isnt sliding all around the back seat (we go on alot of long drives)

umm i dont know maybe not carpet for the floors unless you like cleaning incase theres any accidents also the wood will stain plastic? lino? would be easy to clean

lol i unno =D hope my random blabbing helped a lil

does he like to look out when you are driving, my Gem likes to sit in the middle between the front seats to see where we are going. so maybe something a llittle bit raised so he can see out.. Storm doesn't bother and is happy in her crate. I meant to add Gem is usually secured with a harness so she doesn't go thru the window in an emergency stop situation.

Yeah i'm going to have a 'bulk head' so the emergency stop situation will be o.k.

He normally looks out of the back window at the people in the car behind us but i may put a raised level in as this would be great for storage!

can i suggest some venting to allow air circulation as the can get quite warm quite quick

Yeah i thought of that but at no point will he be 'staying' in the van whilst we are parked for any period of time. So it'll be a drivers and passengers window job while we are moving etc.

I might have a look and see if there is anything that can be fitted on the back though

TBH, its a really bad idea to give him the whole of the back, If he is standing near the doors and you are travelling along at 40mph and have to emergency stop, he is going to fly possibly head 1st into that metal grate, he could be killed. Thats why you have crates or dog boxes, they dont pick up speed as they are flying, just more smoosh into the side, as they are already against it. and if you had anything else in the back then that could also smack into him when going round corners and stopping. If that made any sense?

I would build him a fairly large dog box, comfy bed inside, you can attach a water bowl to the side of the box (same as you can in a crate) for longer journeys. Then he is safe in a crash and you can make use of the rest of the van aswell

If you have him in a dog box, you could safely have a cool box filled with ice and some water for him, some pegs on the side of the van for leads, harnesses etc and you would be able to put a bike in there without having to worry about it falling on him, whoch means you could go bikejoring.

TBH, its a really bad idea to give him the whole of the back, If he is standing near the doors and you are travelling along at 40mph and have to emergency stop, he is going to fly possibly head 1st into that metal grate, he could be killed. Thats why you have crates or dog boxes, they dont pick up speed as they are flying, just more smoosh into the side, as they are already against it. and if you had anything else in the back then that could also smack into him when going round corners and stopping. If that made any sense?

I would build him a fairly large dog box, comfy bed inside, you can attach a water bowl to the side of the box (same as you can in a crate) for longer journeys. Then he is safe in a crash and you can make use of the rest of the van aswell

If you have him in a dog box, you could safely have a cool box filled with ice and some water for him, some pegs on the side of the van for leads, harnesses etc and you would be able to put a bike in there without having to worry about it falling on him, whoch means you could go bikejoring.

Thanks for your comments and its definatly worth considering. I think i will look at the space in the back of the van as although it is a van the back isn't that large. I shouldn't think it will be much larger than the boot on an estate.

Trust me though i will put Kodi's welfare before his comfort every time :D

Yeah i thought of that but at no point will he be 'staying' in the van whilst we are parked for any period of time. So it'll be a drivers and passengers window job while we are moving etc.

I might have a look and see if there is anything that can be fitted on the back though

how about this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/In-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Plug-DC-12V-Travel-Cooler-Fan-/120673397589?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1c18b1eb55

• 1 month later...

Hi Dave how are you getting on with the van? I'm still kitting out my combo van for the dogs, its got a side loading door and ive put a divide in for my tools and the dogs leads in the very back of the van, And a powered vent in the roof that sucks air in or blows it out depending whats needed. should have been £130 to buy but i got it for £40 :) it was removed from a smashed up Police Van :) and works a treat. i will upload some photo's to show but they like it in the back. I've put carpet down to stop them sliding around in the back and it also keep alot of the fur in the back too

post-6615-1358607360278_thumb.jpg

post-6615-13586073605728_thumb.jpg

Still need to paint the top of the vent as its still in Manchester Police Blue :)post-6615-13586073611445_thumb.jpg

Still a few bits to finish but getting there :-)

post-5138-13585969855957_thumb.jpg

post-5138-13585969864715_thumb.jpg

post-5138-13585969873087_thumb.jpg

post-5138-13585969882984_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...