Age of the pull

I have a pack of 3 different breeds so racing might be interesting. 1 German Sheperd Cross Rotweiller The Husky and a Douge De Bourduex. Makes interesting days

best will in the world that aint gonna work. a team needs to be of very similar fitness and speed as well as stride. its much more to it when putting a team together

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.Hi again Shaun

BSHRA stands for British Siberian Husky Racing Association, basically is an organisation (one of a few) which organises and oversees competitive dryland mushing events.

To get your dog a race number, you must attend an event, and ask someone to point out the race organiser, he/she will then point you towards 2 championship show judges, who will take a look at your dog and decide whether he/she is indeed a full Siberian & in a fit enough condition to race. Once you have the all clear from both of these judges, go and see the race organiser again who will give you their email address and a list of what details to email them (basically dogs name, age, description, chip number etc etc). Once they have those details and have confirmed with the judges that they agreed your dog was pure, they will then send you a letter through the post, which gives details of your dogs race number (a number which you put on the entry forms to prove your dog have been approved. Oh, and the dog must also be neutered

I agree its not great, but I can see why they do it. It is the most horrible thing in the world standing in front of these judges while they judge your dog, thankfully both of mine got the all clear :) I have to go through it again with my youngest soon.

"yes your right but only KC ones 'actually' race. ABSA do not allow unreg'd ones at all but they are discussing whether shwa dogs can enter in their own class so similar to BSHRA but only shwa welfare rather than someone who has decided to buy an unreg'd pup etc. the decision will be made next month. "

In English acroynms only work if you know the lingo

apologies - ABSA & BSHRA are race event organisors and have different rules about entering dogs whihc are not KC reg'd. This is because there is far too many cross breeds and puppy farmers who over breeed and dont follow the regulations of the KC etc. SHWA stands for siberian husky welfare association and will take reg'd and unreg'd dogs who need rehoming. IT is dogs from the this welfare organisation which ABSA are considering but only when the dog has been assessed to decide whether a race is suitable for the dog and whether they believe the dog is a 'true' sibe to the best of their knowledge.

ABSA did have a unreg'd register but they closed it several years ago as they were concerned so many were racing (I think thats the reason). they are not re-opening it but are considering open it purely for SHWA welfare dogs who are thought to be a true sibe. they will not consider a welfare from any other organisation such as RSPCA or private rehome...having said that their meeting isnt til may so they still may not open it up to shwa welfare and only offer to pure breeds only who are KC reg'd.

my kiba is 5 months now and i been teaching him recall by useing my 12y old chow chow who is 100% loyal and 99% recall 1% squral drive lol what i do is take my show who i have trained to run full out on a READY! .... SET...... GOOOO!!!!!!! command (she will only run out about 50 feet then loop around back in my direction any way i rdy set go and let her get a head start then i let my sibe(kiba) chase after her then no matter were she gose he follows since she becomes the prey then about every 2 mins i recall her and he comes following 100% so far

then just repeat over and over letting him chace her at a full run this way he wont get side tracked and wander off cuz he is buisy following as a game by recalling my other dog only he gets the idea that its the right thing to do ( monky see monky do kinda thing)

works real well but must have a trust worthy dog to help with this ........only other way is a reallly really long lead and alot of repeat but fact is sibs get borde super fast and haveing another dog eliminates this

Holly, lets not encourage members to let their sibes offlead eh? Yea you can do it, but he's already said she has awful recall and has lost her for 4 hours, let use some common sense here.

If you read my posts i say to do the training in an enclosed area.

I'd never give advice and say "Dude, just let your dog off lead in an unenclosed area"

I have a lot of common sense i just see it that there is hope for any dog no matter the problem! As said, Zarly used to be really bad when we first got her.. now look at her! Just takes time and training!

I always see the light at the end of the tunnel!

cheap reassuring solution. a long 50-100ft lead and your husky will have a great run around - about £10 on ebay. Absolutly no reason to risk off lead. No matter how much training has been done. there is a risk (for ANY breed), you just need to weigh up if your prepared to take that risk when you consider breed characteristics, their prey drive etc

I know i wouldnt be willing to take that risk and probably 98% of owners either

cheap reassuring solution. a long 50-100 lead and your husky will have a great run around - about £10 on ebay. Absolutly no reason to risk off lead. No matter how much training has been done. there is a risk (for ANY breed), you just need to weigh up if your prepared to take that risk when you consider breed characteristics, their prey drive etc

I know i wouldnt be willing to take that risk and probably 98% of owners either

Totally agree with you on this. I am one of the 98% +1 :)

guess im just oldschool yes my pup is 5 months and recall is good under condition but really its not my first sib i agree off lead is risky but i raise my dogs to go were i go when im not at work my dog is with me at all time in all places if i go into the store they wait for me and as they get older yhey learn that thats there job to stay with me my 12 year old chow chow has only been on a leash for a couple years to start

i have also had sibes and malamutes that would not leave my side in the past it is possible with alot of time spent and 100% loyalty givin to your sib you have to put in the work for the reward and yes it really can be done

find a place out of harms way and just simply spend time with your dog ware him out till hes pooped then go for for an off lead walk most dogs when tired will walk next to there owner .......to try off lead training with a fresh husky would be vary risky but one that has calmed down from a vary vary good work out is more likely to be happy to be around you

ass legends say that its impossible to have husky off lead and should never be attempted is going a bit far ................give your dog a good reasion to be with you at all times and he/she will

honestly i think leads are just a tool to keep are pets safe and to stop us from worrying and to have control

should we really think of dogs as helpless pets ? they been around as long as man if they need to roam i take them to a place they can safely

if i can help it ill find a way for my best friend to be off leash and enjoying there amazing agility and ability to run

risk are there but can be eliminated with planning and pre caution and as your husky gets older patterns set in its behavior and can be ez to predict and prevent

this is just how i view things im not saying its right for everyone just cuz i have had huskys with recall dose not mean every one has......i have had bad recall on huskys also when i was young

So basically what your saying is that my dogs run away because im not loyal to them and therefore they dont want to stay next to me??

Ohhh so I've been wrong all this time, see I always thought it was because they wanted to hunt and had been bred for generations to run, clearly not, all i have to do is give up my job and spend every waking moment with them!

I agree that they would after a while stay with me if i done that, because they would be suffering from starvation if i didnt leave them to go to work, so wouldnt have the strength!

:rolleyes:

my statment was not a punch at anyone and dose not mean that your not 100% loyal to your dog but you have to be 100% devoted to making your husky good off leash

your stateing that genetics is everything and that my friend is not right there are such things as conditioning and thats all im talking about .........in order to get somthing done you have to be willing to try if you dont try due to the thought of a genetic trait then it will never happen

all i suggest is follow the leader in any case is what pack animals do and is also what huskys were bred for

ok gonna throw this in here

Blaze NOT good offlead - so 100ft lead for his safety so i dont loose him

Skyla - good offlead - good recall considering ive took her out 3 times to practise comes back everytime i call her even if its not straight away - so............. 100ft lead because i value and love her too much to risk it - my dogs are my family - if husky owners who have GENERATIONS of experience say 'keep ur husky on a lead' then im gonna do it

took 2 sec to find a husky good off leash on youtube

Great Video. But the dog is food motivated. If you pay attention the guy has his hand in his pocket most of the time during the video pretending he is about to get a treat out. If Zihna was food motivated outside of the house I could teach her a lot more, unfortunately unless it's a life chicken in my hand she is not going to focus and even if it was a life chicken...she'd prolly be focusing on the chicken and not on me :lol: :lol: :lol:.

After a bit more googeling Bonjuk is already 10 years old in this video. There is a big difference between a 10 year old Husky and 1 year old Husky. A 10 year old Husky will be much calmer then a 1 year old Husky. In addition Bonjuk probably had years and years of training to do what he did in the video. So I don't think that a new Husky owner should use this as an example :huh:. Just my opinion though.

I am not trying to go against you that it is not possible, but I think a lot of us here are just not willing to take the risk to put our fur kids in a situation that could harm them. Not saying that our dogs are helpless but unfortunately if they are chasing something they will not stop and look left and right before crossing the road.

A lot of people that come on here and ask the off lead question are new Husky owners, some of them are even 1st time dog owners. Regardless if my dog is off leash or not, I would never ever ever encourage them to let them off lead!!!! If they do it thats on them I can't stop them but I can educate them about the risks and the importance of practicing recall regardless if the dog will ever be off leash or not and everyone on here knows how important recall training is.

I would just hate to log on here one day and see a post that someone's Husky ran off or even got killed because they read on here that it was OK to let a Husky run free off leash. It's not the norm. There are only a hand full of people on here that managed to do it.

K hope I didn't sound rude or anything, just wanted to kind of make a point why I personally do not advice people to let their Husky's off leash :)

But again thanks for the video its awesome. And I also see some Husky training videos on the right so I will check those out as well......maybe I learn something new :)

storms very food motivated and he will stay by your side like that (i keep lead on tho) but i truely believe that the slightest glimpse of a small furry that would take priority over a treat.

awesome video but any new owners need to realise that getting a dog to that standard take more than anyone can imagine and most are willing/able to do.

People seem to think that those of us who listen to experience and keep our dog on lead, havent even bothered to try and train a recall, when actually a lot of us have

2 of mine (Kira and Grey), have good recall in the park (Kira's is better) but i still wouldnt risk it, i've had too many close calls when we've had harness escapes and lead failures.

I just honestly cant see why anyone would take that risk, I mean how far do you allow your dogs to roam before you call them?? You can get 100ft leashes which give them ample room to roam, but you know that they are safe. Letting them off is a totally unneccesary risk, for me anyway.

depend on the location you let them off i let my 2 off at lindholm lakes they have miles and miles of open wilderness and not a car in sight .. the closest road is over 4 miles away and they would have to cross/jump over about 20 fences and hedges before they got to the road

add me to facebook i have videos and i have uploaded a load of pics to my profile on this site too

https://www.facebook....com/#!/Cold101

and one thing i found is when thay are off the lead at lindholm lakes they go off to about 500m away .. then they come back .. they all ways keep me in the line of sight they are pack orientated and they don't want to get lost just as much as i don't want to loos them .. ges i just got lucky with my 2 or maybe its the way i train them

wont let them off when walking to the shop tho

my statment was not a punch at anyone and dose not mean that your not 100% loyal to your dog but you have to be 100% devoted to making your husky good off leash

your stateing that genetics is everything and that my friend is not right there are such things as conditioning and thats all im talking about .........in order to get somthing done you have to be willing to try if you dont try due to the thought of a genetic trait then it will never happen

all i suggest is follow the leader in any case is what pack animals do and is also what huskys were bred for

Ok off lead training genious riddle me this.. I have had my girl from an 8 week old pup, I have spent day and night with her, training her till she is commpetative obedience level 3, I have trained her recall all that time, I have taken her to off lead parks and trained her recall there too. 99% of the time she is damn near PERFECT!

Then one day she finds a hole in the fence behind the garden shed in my mums garden, she KNEW she was free and there was nothing I could do about it but shout and whistle my emergency trained recall but nope VOOOOOM she was off and I lost my husky for 30 minutes and if it hadn't had been for the fact that my sister is REALLY bloody fast and my mum llives on a very quiet street I would probably have lost her that day.

Training huh? So tell me where I went wrong there then???? Seriously Im interested to know!

Ok off lead training genious riddle me this.. I have had my girl from an 8 week old pup, I have spent day and night with her, training her till she is commpetative obedience level 3, I have trained her recall all that time, I have taken her to off lead parks and trained her recall there too. 99% of the time she is damn near PERFECT!

Then one day she finds a hole in the fence behind the garden shed in my mums garden, she KNEW she was free and there was nothing I could do about it but shout and whistle my emergency trained recall but nope VOOOOOM she was off and I lost my husky for 30 minutes and if it hadn't had been for the fact that my sister is REALLY bloody fast and my mum llives on a very quiet street I would probably have lost her that day.

Training huh? So tell me where I went wrong there then???? Seriously Im interested to know!

ok i can see both side of the argument but it come down to the dog every single dog is different my tobby has got out 5 or 6 times ,, as they are the best diggers in the world lol (have now under pined the fence) but only 2 days a go he climbs through the kitchen window , and the front door was open ..........and all i seen was whoosh a red fluff ball running past the door ........ lol i got up he was at a fence peeing up the wall ... so i called TOBBY HEAR ,,, IN NOW he come back right away .......i trust my dogs and most of all they trust me ....

every dog is different the best advise some one gave me was a tired husky is a good husky