Age of the pull

Easy people! Lol! I don't think there can be a right or a wrong answer when it comes to off lead for any breed. Its all personal choice and how you train. I stick with on lead coz i'd spend an entire walk with my heart in my mouth if I didnt! And it isnt just sibes....my family dog, who lives with my parents, is a whippet who adores my dad an hardly leaves his side....ever....but he chased a bird and got lost on a walk near a reservoir. My siblings and I each drove an hour or more to assist in the search. Charlie was missing for over five hours before he finally swam across the reservoir in the pitch black to find us.

Its a choice each owner has to make...the same with crate training, living arangements...everything really!

You'll get a huge range of excellent guidance here but inevitably you will have to choose your own path. :-D

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easy people! Lol! I don't think there can be a right or a wrong answer when it comes to off lead for any breed. Its all personal choice and how you train. I stick with on lead coz i'd spend an entire walk with my heart in my mouth if I didnt! And it isnt just sibes....my family dog, who lives with my parents, is a whippet who adores my dad an hardly leaves his side....ever....but he chased a bird and got lost on a walk near a reservoir. My siblings and I each drove an hour or more to assist in the search. Charlie was missing for over five hours before he finally swam across the reservoir in the pitch black to find us.

Its a choice each owner has to make...the same with crate training, living arangements...everything really!

You'll get a huge range of excellent guidance here but inevitably you will have to choose your own path. :-D

Very nicely said!! +1 :)

my main argument was get your husky pooped out (tierd0 then train off leash then it will tend to be more loyal ......as it gets older leting your husky off leash is ezer

i did state letting a fresh excited husky off the leash can lead to trouble but same with any breed

i grew up on a farm in northern canada i have had indoor , outdoor , and kennel huskys / malamutes since i was born

im not claiming that every dog can be perfect off lead ...but with a alot of time and training you can get damn close

Why thank you! Lol! I can sometimes have my moments!

I actually think the OP was wanting to know about bikejouring....

Recall was his second question...so not really off topic :). My only concern is........ I hope we did not scare him away :o as he was rather new.

......Shaun???? :unsure:

the 1 thing i dont understand is websites EVERYWHERE and husky experts EVERYWHERE say NEVER to let a husky offlead it only takes one second for an urge to over come them and they are gone - so we shouldnt even be having this debate in the first place - its not put in place to challenge us or anything its put in place because they cant be trusted! they could have an excellent 100% recall ALL the time - but theres always the 1 chance that they are going to see something they want n husky then overules all training done!

what about that post mick (raindog) posted up about the husky that was trained at agilty and was offlead for years then one day the door to the dogs house was open n it saw another dog or something? ran out of the house crossed the road - n was hit by a car n dead - n that was a husky that was trained AMAZINGLY well to compete in agilty trails professionally OFFLEAD then one day the huskies head overuled ALL of that training n it died!

why risk it!?

found it ! :D - this thread is where its from -

read this

Exactly! There is a reason why every single Siberian Husky related organisation IN THE WORLD recommends that huskies be kept on lead in unenclosed areas and that reason is bitter experience!

Yes! training is important - recall training might be the difference between life and death for your dog, but you can no more trust "training" than you can trust your Siberian's recall.

It is significant that many of those happily claiming to let their sibes offlead successfully are relatively new and inexperienced owners with very young dogs. One of the characteristics of Siberians, is that they are/can be extremely obedient as pups/youngsters - then adolescence hits and all bets are off!

This was Quilla (Dreamcatcher's Misspelt)

QUilla.gif

Quilla was a remarkable Siberian. From our first litter in 1996, Quilla was bought by a dog trainer called Mary as a companion for her Sibe/Collie cross Sadie. Mary was determined that Quilla was not only trainable, but capable of achieving distinction in both obedience and agility. This she proved beyond doubt as Quilla proceeded through the levels of obedience and later began agility training. One of Mary’s proudest moments was when, in competition, Quilla achieved her first clear round.Quilla’s relationship with Mary had to be seen to be believed and the two were inseparable. Then one day tragedy struck. Quilla, at aged 5, did something she had never done before - jumped a fence into a neighbour’s garden, ignored Mary's recall, escaped onto a road and was killed by a car.

There has probably never been a better trained and more obedient Siberian than Quilla, but on that one occasion when it really mattered, training was ignored, instinct took over and tragedy followed.

Trust is a deadly disease, but not as deadly as complacency and refusal to listen to the vast weight of experience.

Mick

the 1 thing i dont understand is websites EVERYWHERE and husky experts EVERYWHERE say NEVER to let a husky offlead it only takes one second for an urge to over come them and they are gone - so we shouldnt even be having this debate in the first place - its not put in place to challenge us or anything its put in place because they cant be trusted! they could have an excellent 100% recall ALL the time - but theres always the 1 chance that they are going to see something they want n husky then overules all training done!

what about that post mick (raindog) posted up about the husky that was trained at agilty and was offlead for years then one day the door to the dogs house was open n it saw another dog or something? ran out of the house crossed the road - n was hit by a car n dead - n that was a husky that was trained AMAZINGLY well to compete in agilty trails professionally OFFLEAD then one day the huskies head overuled ALL of that training n it died!

why risk it!?

I agree 100%. Yes by all means train a recall, in your garden or dog park or on a 100ft lead. BUT that does not mean you have to let them off the lead.

Is it really worth risking your dogs life just to give it a taste of leashless freedom? :blink:

No it isn't. And I bet if your dog could talk and you asked it, it would have the same answer.

If you want do do it, fine. Be it on your own head. But I will Never let my Storm offlead unless he is in a secure place.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys just like to say thanks for all the advice. I didnt mean to start such a vicious thread no I am not scared off just final year uni work and mean the forum is taking a bit of a back step I may start gentle jogging with her in the coming weeks months to step up her training