Puppy Gas

just wondering if the type of puppy food i am feeding suka is the source of her gas and what i can do about it. i thought it was just from the move from the breeders place to mine but its been a couple weeks and its still going on.

the puppy food is nutro max puppy and this is the food she has been eating since she could eat.

this is the run down of the content of the food

Crude Protein (minimum) 28.00%

Crude Fat (minimum) 17.00%

Crude Fiber (maximum) 4.00%

Moisture (maximum) 10.00%

Linoleic Acid (minimum) 3.70%

Zinc (minimum) 260 mg/kg

Vitamin E (minimum) 120 IU/kg

Ascorbic Acid (minimum)* 35 mg/kg

Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) (minimum)* 0.10%

Sometimes it's not about the quality of the food. The important thing to remember is that the best food for your dog is the food your dog does best on! Sometimes dogs are gassy no matter what you feed them, my dogs eat a raw diet and still can occasionally let one rip (LOL). You could go through every premium dog food on the market and only find one brand that suits her. I recommend a few brands that I have used, and obviously raw feeding as that is my first choice, but only your dog can 'tell' you what food is best for her.

Having said that, are there any other signs that the food might not suit her? Such as her poos being runny not firm, she's toileting a lot more than you would like, her overall condition (coat, teeth, etc), is she vomiting or not eating much?

I had a look at the ingredient list for Nutro max puppy and the first few ingredients are:

Chicken Meal, Corn Gluten Meal, Wheat Flour, Poultry Fat

I personally would not feed a food with so much grain content, if I could help it. The one dog I have here who does eat dried food is on Artemis which I am very happy with, the first few ingredients for the medium/large breed puppy are:

Chicken, Turkey,Chicken Meal, Salmon Meal,Pearled Barley, Whole Brown Rice

You can see the difference between the two. Eagle Pack Holistic is another brand I recommend. Even before I changed over to a raw diet I fed my dogs raw meaty bones almost every day, do you feed anything other than dried food?

excellent reply bec, added to rep.

I agree, no matter what quality the food is, it can still cause gas. Mine are also on the BARF diet and they still fart now and again, lmao - it stinks! It's like humans, we still get gas just like dogs do, its a natural thing to do but also an inconvenience to surrounding people! Like Bec said, is Suka showing any other signs that the food may not be right for her? I had a quick look at the ingredients too and see there is alot of grain in the food you have, which can cause stomach problems due to them finding it difficult to digest and not a requirement for a dogs diet. Here are a few link about dogs and grain which should help explain: http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-34519420_ITM

http://ukbarfclub.co.uk/natural-feeding-tips/going-against-the-grain.php

http://www.cocothebloggingdog.com/2008/08/do-dogs-need-grain.html

dont jump to the conclusion that Suka is on the wrong food, take a look at her poo, general body condition, etc before making the decision that she needs a change of diet.

well, here I am touting yogurt again LOL whenever me and mine get gas or tummy upset its plain yogurt and it really does seem to help. Some of my dogs only like it when they are gassy or upset!

grains need a lot of digestion to get the nutrients out and a byproduct is methane (cows are a good example) I read somewhere that a dogs anatomy is built to eat massive amounts of meat and bone -to move it through fast, so they can go back for seconds LOL In the wild meals aren't so regular. If they take down a large critter they can't pitch a tent and eat it for a week -they are going to end up defending the kill and fighting with other predators. So they need to eat a lot fast and repeat. Their digestive systems are built just for that purpose. They have had no gas since we went raw, so no yogurt either -it's all mine again!

When we feed them kibble they have to work longer and harder at digestion and the longer grain is in there the more gas is built up! Beans take us a long time to digest and the result is the same LOL.

Richard also thinks that when we moistened the kibble with water (days when we were mushing) or broth they had less gas. He might be right, it might help it move through them faster or easier.

well, here I am touting yogurt again LOL whenever me and mine get gas or tummy upset its plain yogurt and it really does seem to help. Some of my dogs only like it when they are gassy or upset!

great reply cris - added to rep

just a quick question about the yogurt, do you give plain natural yogurt or do you give them fruit flavoured natural yogurt now and then? I feed mine plain natural pro-biotic yogurt which helps loads when they get upset stomach, but have always wondered if fruit flavoured yogurt would be ok to give them too, as a treat.

oh no flavors! plain

We have some lovely stuff over here made in New Hampshire (biased) Stoneyfield, all natural, grass fed cows and it's thick and luscious. Nothing in it but milk and cultures. The girls could eat it every day but Mukki only touches it when he's sick.

I can't take credit, when I was in my 20's I was on my way to an ulcer and my aunt made me eat yogurt and drink buttermilk -it fixed me right up! If you are ever on anti-biotics, you should eat lots of yogurt -to replace all the good bacteria you killed.

i just read the nutro site and it says to add water to the food, so that might help. before she did have the runs and i fed her plain rice and yogurt with her kibble and it seemed to solve it. she is full of energy and seems to be in good health. i would switch kibble but the breeder said with the move it wouldnt be the best idea so i was just waiting it out

i would switch to a raw diet but not really possible out here. couple weeks and she goes to the vet and she will get a sample of her stool to determine if it is the food or not. thanks for the help

i just read the nutro site and it says to add water to the food, so that might help. before she did have the runs and i fed her plain rice and yogurt with her kibble and it seemed to solve it. she is full of energy and seems to be in good health. i would switch kibble but the breeder said with the move it wouldnt be the best idea so i was just waiting it out

i would switch to a raw diet but not really possible out here. couple weeks and she goes to the vet and she will get a sample of her stool to determine if it is the food or not. thanks for the help

keep us updated, good luck luck at the vets :D