Akitas?

Does anyone have an Akita and a husky here? I'm curious I was reading up on them and there seems to be a lot of contradiction about their over all aggressiveness. One place says they tend to be aggressive toward small dogs but another says if you socialize them they will be less aggressive but still be aggressive? Totally confusing and I'm curious is this all biased statistical opinion like with pitbulls. When raised correctly and socialized properly all dogs have the potential to be good loving citizens of society or am I wrong?

Akita's, like any dog, with a lack of training can create an agressive monster. They are very loyal and protective of their family, which some people I think take the wrong way. But at least if a burglar broke into your house, they would do something while the husky would just lick them to death :P

LOL I know Taylor it kills me my friend is always telling me I have a dog to protect on walks at night and I'm like oh yeah she'll just lick them to death before they do anything lol.

Lol, no kidding. At least people think huskies look scary, since they don't act scary :P

Akitas are generally "aggressive" with dogs outside of their pack. They are protective of the home and family and are unsure of new visitors.

I do believe these dogs can be "socialized" but caution must be taken. They are known to be dog aggressive and just because they get on with 1 dog doesn't mean it transfers to another.

So here's another question I started socializing Kiana as soon as her puppy shots were finished and she goes to the dog park 4 or 5 times a week because we live in an apartment and walks are not enough exercise for her. So, would socializing an Akita that young and keeping it up curb that usual dog aggression? Kiana doesn't like certain types of dogs and that's understandable it's the same with people. I'm not planning on getting one as my apartments dont allow them but I'm asking for a close friend he loves taking his dogs to the park with my girl and our friends dogs.

With correct socialization with the right dogs it could be manabgeable. But with any dog known for dog aggression you need to be prepared and able to care for the dog if it develops dog aggression later in life. Its a powerful breed.

Of course no one can predict how a puppy with turn out but with the right breeder and the right parents... you never know.

I like to look at it the same way as we look at huskies and cats. Heavy early socialization without cats could keep the cat safe but sometimes it just doesn't.

• 1 month later...

Again, sorry for the late post.

this is probably the best summary:

With correct socialization with the right dogs it could be manabgeable. But with any dog known for dog aggression you need to be prepared and able to care for the dog if it develops dog aggression later in life. Its a powerful breed.

i have 2 akitas, one lives with me and the other with my parents.

izzy, who lives with me, also lives with 2 huskies. she has been socialized and taken to different places and to different ob. classes from when she was 3 months old, and does not like to be with other dogs minus our 2 huskies. and even there we have had some issues, when she gets over stimulated ( thanks to the oh so wonderful neighbors and neigbors dogs) she has lashed out at keno and he has ended up with puncture wounds on his neck, check and side. nothing that needed emergency treatment or anything, but it has happen. i'm am lucky enough to be able to read her body language pretty well, so i can usually head that off as long as i am watching. keno is way more i guess i'll use dominent than koozie, so that can also be an issue, becuase akitas to like to be top dog. keno is usually the one right along side izzy and so its him that gets the brunt of her aggression, where as koozie is very mellow and submissive so he is usually in the back ground.

tipsy currently lives with 2 bichons ( male and female) and a male shiba full time. part time she lives with a female shiba and now a male aussie. there are issues between the female shiba ( zoe) and tipsy on occassion and when the aussie ( cooper) was brought into the mix it took tipsy a good couple weeks to be comfortable around him. i do believe if cooper had been female, that there would have been no way for them to co-exisit. and tipsy is rather submissive, but get her around unknown dogs, she does become more assertive and will stand up for herself if she feels the need to.

my akitas can not be together at all. with akitas same sex issues is a big thing. thats why i have 2 male huskies and will only get male dogs as long as i have a female akita.

they are not a breed for everyone and not a breed i have recommended to anyone ( i have been dealing with the breed for about 10 years). those cute lil bear cub pups grow up to be very powerful dogs and even with the right training and socialization you can have trouble.

Just wanted to add to this.. while I dont own an Akita I have researched the breed and do know there are actually two different breeds! There is the Japanese Akita and the American Akita and like huskies and mals there are subtle differences between the two breeds, this is worth bareing in mind when researching the breed. :)

this is true. both of mine have a mixed back ground, izzy is more american and tipsy is more japanense. but both still hold true to their ancestors and have pretty much the same DA issues crop up.

The butchers in Cranbrook have Akitas, when we had the shop they were our nieghbours. Indy was thier first Akita.

Absolutely lovely dog, she'd peek over the wall to us whenever was was wondering in the yard or been trotting about in thier feild, soft as anything.

But like Huskies she would chase our cat if ever he were on her territory, and I'd have no doubt if she caught that would have been the end of it.

As for people, all I can go by is what Indy was like, she was fine with new people and other dogs, she'd definately let you know when someone else was coming up the stairs.

Even after 5 years not seeing me, I asked if they had any boxes I could have for moving house, I went to the yard, Indy was there. By this time she had aged, her muzzle was freckled with grey and her eyesight was going, she weren't sure of me at first, but as soon as she sniffed me she physically relaxed and started licking me like crazy , letting me cuddle her.

She crossed the rainbow bridge a few year ago, and they now have another Akita, Debs said they really love the breed since having Indy...