is it wrong

Is it wrong to laugh at chubsters? This is the question posed on the radio by BBC 5 Live this week about the four-strong Chawner family of Blackburn, who have a combined weight of 83 stone.

They first came to public attention when daughter Emma (19 years/17 stone) appeared in a watch-through-your-fingers audition on The X Factor, wearing what appeared to be a wedding dress and butchering (if thats even possible with such a song) Celine Dions My Heart Will Go On.

The family then enjoyed some minor notoriety when some of the less sympathetic sections of the press cottoned on to the fact that the Chawners dont work and get around 22,000 a year in benefits. The family say they dont get that much dough, and they dont eat all that much food either. But the fact remains that none of the four has a job, and they have a variety of obesity-related health problems.

People, both in person and in the media, have been terribly cruel. A Facebook group has even been set up. Emma says: There was a comment on there which said, If I see Emma Chawner, Ill kill her, and that upset me and I ran upstairs crying. Its hard not to suspect that she didnt actually run as such, but surely death threats are beyond the pale.

You might argue that by going on the nations biggest TV show, Emma opened herself up to criticism. With racism and homophobia no longer acceptable in the mainstream media, people need new targets for spite, and fatties fill the hole admirably. Especially those getting a few quid off the state.

One question, though: if, as a nation, we are getting fatter and fatter (which we are) then will state-sponging fatties eventually be able to band together and say no more to the abuse? Or will the definition of a fatty just have to be shifted upwards? Perhaps in 30 years time, the 17-stone Emma Chawners of tomorrow will be the ones poking fun at 27-stoners. Cant wait.

well being overweight isn't healthy. And no I don't laugh at people for being obese. But I have nerve damage in my legs and a spinal cord stimulator to make my legs work, and don't get special parking or ride on those scooters, and you see the big people do get those privledges. Being overweight for some is due to health issues but most of the people can control what they put in thier mouth.

I also think that so many magazines and tv stars are so thin that they look sick. And some people try to be that thin until they are sickly. I am not fat but I am also not thin.

i dnt laff at them i dnt agree tho that theres that story how the family is too fat 2 wrk so they need more benifits thats just wrong what about the ppl who have lost their jobs due 2 all the credit crunch n redundancy issues who need the benfits more i agree with nanook tho how there are sum ppl who can control what go in2 their mouth n others cant so they shudnt b ridiculed becuz ov a health problem i also dont agree on these stick thin stars or all the stars that have surgery kids look up2 these ppl and they r showin them that this is they way they shud live n that they shudnt embrace themselves if they r curvy ect thats just wrong!

i'm curvy and proud i don't care what others think of me i love me and that's all that matters if no one else does then that's their problem,

there are plenty of groups out there to help people, that family IMHO were just lazy slobs

i'm curvy and proud i don't care what others think of me i love me and that's all that matters if no one else does then that's their problem,

there are plenty of groups out there to help people, that family IMHO were just lazy slobs

fair play sarah embrace ur curves! HOORAY curvy girls!