Aleu hates her kennel and run!

Hi guys.

So in October my landlady brought Aleu a kennel and run for over £100 as a gift and suprise to us. And she's noticed I'm not really putting Aleu in there and she is starting to think I'm ungreatful to her for it. But it's got nothing to do with that, as soon as I put Aleu in her, she cries bloody murder and has done several damage to the kennel and run, the doors already had to be replaced and two sections of the safety mesh.

Yesterday I put her in there, went for 10 minutes, came back and shed gotten her head stuck through the mesh from where she'd chew a hole in it to get out. The replacement parts for the run are costing a bomb and I can't help but think Aleu just hates it in there.

I've tried given her rawhide bones in there, kongs, treatballs, and toys she only gets in there, but it's just not happening.

How can I show Aleu that her kennel isn't as big and evil as she thinks it is and be more greatful for this gift?

Stacey xxx

Thats a hard one - have you tried getting in there with her until she is settled?

Otherwise I think that you should just explain to your landlady how grateful you are but that Aleu would have preferred it in pink - not really the last bit - let her know how Aleu is in it.

She was kind enough to provide it so I'm assuming that she will understand that you have tried to get Aleu used to it but she just wont settle.

Good luck.

hi stacey,

I would try the play idea again. get in there with her leaving the entrance open so she can come and go as she pleases. have as much fun in there as you can, this may be alone while she watches in the beginning and it may take a few tries but she should slowly come in and start spending some time in there with you. Dont be in a rush to lock her in there though as this may have an adverse effect. i have spent many a time in a dog crate having fun alone while my dog looked on ( if anyone had seen me they would have sent in the men in white coats) but eventually they have come in and had fun with me too. now when i say crate they each grab a toy and fly in their crates with wagging tails. hope you manage to find a method that works for you xx

My kids are the same, we spend time in there each day, playing, brushing and just hanging with them, they are getting better and it is not as if they are in there for a long period of time, perhaps an hour a day, but they would still prefer to avoid at all costs....................lol

After all they are Huskies!

With kennel/crate training it will take some time n patience. As how kayaspirit said it, u shouldn't immediTely close the door and walk away with her in it. Need to start slow, have some treats n play with her give her rewards and put some toys or blankets in there that she like or their hers. Need to constantly do that for a couple of weeks till she's comfortable with walking in there herself. If she's comfortable by that point, close the door and she how she reacts ( don't walk away), keep her in for 1-5min and reward her. Do that a couple times till she's okay and than increase the amount of time she's in there. Till she's good for 30min than you as the owner walk away and start from a short time And progress to a longer time. This is a long progress but in the end she'll like her kennel n not be scared in it.

I am going through crate training my pup atm and it takes a lot of time and patience.

If i sit with her by the side of the crate with the door closed and wait till she falls asleep she is fine.... but if i put her in there and walk off she goes absolutely ballistic. She is getting better as she only cries for 20min now and then goes to sleep.

I would leave it open for her to walk in, but because the gardens not enclosed, she can't really go in there when she wants.

Stacey xxx

then i wouldnt use it then. huskys are nuturious escape artists and can chew their ways through wood, chicken wire type wire (recommended for huskys 3mm weld mesh), under fences, over fences etc. so even if you got her used to it you could well find she's got out and ran off :(

And it wouldnt take her long to get out either if she was determined enough....you go for a quick shower is all it could take

Well thats what I mean, I only left her for 10 minutes yesterday and she'd gotten her head through the mesh, and the door has already had to be replaced as well as loads of mesh, but I don't want to seem like I'm being ungreatful.

I've been having to watch her in there like a hawk.

Stacey xxx

Hi guys.

So in October my landlady brought Aleu a kennel and run for over £100 as a gift and suprise to us. And she's noticed I'm not really putting Aleu in there and she is starting to think I'm ungreatful to her for it. But it's got nothing to do with that, as soon as I put Aleu in her, she cries bloody murder and has done several damage to the kennel and run, the doors already had to be replaced and two sections of the safety mesh.

Yesterday I put her in there, went for 10 minutes, came back and shed gotten her head stuck through the mesh from where she'd chew a hole in it to get out. The replacement parts for the run are costing a bomb and I can't help but think Aleu just hates it in there.

I've tried given her rawhide bones in there, kongs, treatballs, and toys she only gets in there, but it's just not happening.

How can I show Aleu that her kennel isn't as big and evil as she thinks it is and be more greatful for this gift?

Stacey xxx

I would invite her over to so she can she how your pup reacts, then simply thank her but tell her you can't risk the health of your dog. Getting caught in mesh could potentially be quite bad. I looked at several 'premade' dog runs when I was looking for brenins (I eventually got a 1000 dollar custom one) they all had a warning in the setup literature that recommended discontinuing use of the dog run if the dog figured away out as 'potential serious harm' may fall upon your pet.

I know Brenin, if he wants can chew mesh as well, not sure about yours :) I

EDIT:

Incidentally I was also told that (and this may be particular to colder areas especially) That anything worse than grade 8 or 9 (sorry can't remember) a medium size or larger dog would be able to break through due to weight...eventually. Was told this by a chain link fence manufacturer. Then they showed me a video of a lab breaking it.

my landlady also lives with me, which means i cant even act like shes using it, and when im out my landlady is thinking im cruel putting aleu in her cage and keeps saying to put her in the run, but i darent leave aleu in the run on her own, and she likes her crate, she sleeps in there quite happily. Got a video of me in there with aleu today which i will upload after lunch.

stacey xxx

I would say that your VERY greatful that she thought to get it you but that Aleu really prefers to be in a small den like crate and that leaving her outside in the cold is actually crueler... if she pushes you on it I'd ask her if she is prepaired to pay the dog warden to get Aleu back when she breaks out of the kennel and goes walkabout or the possible vet fees if she gets run over and then the peoples insurance bills of the car that hits her? Harsh I know but she wont bother you again!