Identify the mistakes in this video

no line between their necks?

the line on the bike doesnt look like its attached properly from what i could tell

paths were very narrow, really dangerous if a dog was to run infront of another bike

at about 3 minutes in theres the dog that had slowed down n the harness had ridden up (saw that on two dogs)

and the black dog at about 4 mins in? i saw the 2 dogs pull over to it which would/could be dangerous too

i dont run ma dogs tho so i didnt notice any more ??

Very true about the neckline, tho this isnt a necessity as you can safely run 2 without a neckline, it is safer to have one tho

Yea he doesnt slow down to accomodate his slower dog so the line goes slack and the harness rides up

Trail is very thin so yes dangerous, especially when theres up to 3 teams side by side, bit of a steep drop to one side of it too

Any more?? I got lots :rolleyes:

yep, all of what nix said.:)

the loose dogs look like a massive problem. with the path being so narrow, those loose dogs could just stray anywhere on that path and cause someone to get into a serious accident, the path was very crowded..

would the running on the hard pathway be bad? because they had no boots on? or is that just bad in hot weather?

the dogs that got behind the bikes that they were attached to? could the lines tangle in the bikes? no one had helmets on?

i cant find anymore things ! damn!! i want to!!

Yes running on concrete isnt good, I admit that I do very short runs on concrete, literally once around the block, not as far as that.

Yes the bike/scooter/rig should ALWAYS be behind the dog, never to the side or in front

I dontalways wear a helmet but its best to

No one??

Ok here's what I saw...

- No neckline

- Tugs (the bit that fork off to each harness) are very short and pull the dogs close together, if the dogs try and seperate their harnesses are pulled to the side, as a result they could jar their backs

- cant see a shock absorber (but just might not be in the shot)

- Loose dogs on trail

- allowing his dogs to 'drift' over the trail and not staying in line with them

- other people not moving their dogs to the side of the trail to allow passing

- other people allowing their dogs to drift

- Dogs running VERY close to wheels, one almost gets hit

- not slowing down to accomodate his slower dog so tug goes slack and harness rides up its back

- very thin trail with steep drop to one side, very dangerous with up to 3 teams side by side

- Trail is concrete

- People overtaking their dogs!!

- way to many people in one place

- someones scooter has tiny back wheels and so would catch on every little bump on the trail

The video isnt brilliantly clear so cant realy see whats messing with the dog on the lefts legs but its not running straight so theres deffinatly something going on there might be the fact that his line is attatched too high up to be running xbacks.

far too narrow a trail and he just doesnt break AT ALL does he.. I kept yelling at the screen "BREAK YOU IDIOT BREAK, AS SLOW AS YOUR SLOWEST DOG!!!!!!!

the tugs are too short by the looks of it too!

Also if he'd bothered with a kneckline it would have stopped the dogs going in different directions so he couldnt keep behind them instead of at the side of them!

a massive NEWB with absolutly no interest in bettering himself via research obviously!

Someone on SS contacted them after the video was put online and apparently he:

'only runs his dogs for a bit of fun and exercise and his dogs are good offlead, no trouble getting them back'

EVEN IF YOUR NOT COMPETITIVE YOU SHOULD STILL RUN YOUR DOGS SAFELY FOR THEIR SAKE!!!!

:rolleyes::angry:

Bearing in mind that Ive never raced before and Ive only seen one person in the flesh train, if that were me on that path or being "trained" by that person I'd be very nervous.

I thought they were going to crash into a fair few people at several points, he was going way too fast for that poor dog on the right, did he ever use his brakes?

And considering how close the front wheel looked to the dogs, it wouldn't take much before one of the pups was under a wheel.

Isn't there meant to be some sort of line near the heads of the dogs to stop them breaking apart like that?

If that was the first video I saw of running, I would be put off, it looks so dangerous!

Yes there is normally a line there, its called a neckline, tho you dont have to use one, it is safer to as it stops the dogs forking in seperate directions

He is doing it very dangerously, hes an idiot, as is almost everyone else in the video!

If you wanna see it done properly come and watch my guys train or a rally ;)

If you wanna see it done properly come and watch my guys train or a rally ;)

Lol, Ipswich is a bit far for me, I've gotten to know someone nearby that races and going to get into it with her help. Also a lad and his Mally from Crowborough that Ive met has started training so want to try and meet up with him again. :D

Ok I'm not trying to argue here at all, but perhaps play a bit of devil's advocate :P

- No neckline

That's no at issue at all, some dogs run better without one, its up to you to know your dogs/team. Karen Ramstead of Northwapiti kennels trains and races with no necklines on any of her dogs and she is running teams of up to 16 dogs! You can see blogs and pictures of her experiences running on her site and her facebook page.

- Tugs (the bit that fork off to each harness) are very short and pull the dogs close together, if the dogs try and seperate their harnesses are pulled to the side, as a result they could jar their backs

Agreed

- cant see a shock absorber (but just might not be in the shot)

Not a necessity especially when not pulling a huge ton of weight so long as the driver is careful to push the bike forward as the dogs start out so they never hit dead weight. Dogs ran for years with no problems prior to shock absorbers.

- Loose dogs on trail

Great thing to have for training! You want your dogs to know to ignore loose dogs as well as leashed dogs. A lot of mushers will "free run" their house dogs or older dogs to teach their team not to mind loose dogs even if the loose dogs are trying to run with the team.

- allowing his dogs to 'drift' over the trail and not staying in line with them

Agreed

- other people not moving their dogs to the side of the trail to allow passing

Agreed but this can happen in races too (even though its not supposed to) so you do want to teach your dogs to be comfortable to pass on either side and in close proximity.

- other people allowing their dogs to drift

Agreed

- Dogs running VERY close to wheels, one almost gets hit

Agreed

- not slowing down to accomodate his slower dog so tug goes slack and harness rides up its back

Agreed

- very thin trail with steep drop to one side, very dangerous with up to 3 teams side by side

Width of trail to me is fine, there is plenty of room for one team to pass another. What they aren't being mindful of is where their team is in proximity to other teams which is irresponsible. I train on trails even narrower than that sometimes but I'm not doing any passing.

- Trail is concrete

Are you sure?? With the puddles on it and tire marks on it it looks like packed gravel to me. Like a lot of the old railroad bed trails we have around here. Very safe to run on and great for their feet. Sometimes can get a cut pad from a bigger stone on the trail but overall an approved training surface.

- People overtaking their dogs!!

Agreed

- way to many people in one place

Would be fine if they were more aware of each other. Running the dogs in such commotion like that is great training though and really gets a dog ready to experience pretty much anything at a race LOL The dogs do a great job of focusing on their job and ignoring each other.

- someones scooter has tiny back wheels and so would catch on every little bump on the trail

Considering the trail they are on this is fine. The wheels are rubber so it will roll over quite a bit of trail debris plus the front one is bigger than the back too. In this circumstance the bigger issue would be its harder for the dog to pull (greater resistance) rather than the wheel catching on something :)

Over all I wouldnt say it is so dangerous that I would get my knickers in a bunch over it. The dogs look happy and quite well trained to handle the situation. They aren't beating the dogs, they aren't having them pull with incorrect harnesses and in all honesty I would rather see the huskies running with them rather than wasting away on a couch all day.

omg just watch this and how unsafe are those idiots not just to ther dogs and each other but pple who are dog walking and just out for a stroll they are way to bunched up to stop if theres a major problem we not been racing for long 4 yrs but even the 7 yrs before that we aways had the correct equipment even back then when we ran for fun as for nearly hitting a team thats us just showing they dont give a crap about them at all

steve