Feeding advice?

Yoda has always eaten very quickly, to the point of you can put it down turn around, turn back and it's gone, but as of late he's started to get more pushy with Tehya. My wife said that they can't be feed in the same room, well I can now see why.

The other night Tehya was a little off her food, so didn't start it straight away, by the time Yoda had finished his, she decided to start... You can probably see where this is going.

He started growling and hissing at then an almighty noise came from the create as have to create them in the night. I went out and told him to leave it, he backed off turned round and started again, told him again to leave it but this time he would not, so had to open the create and poke him in the ribs and say NO Leave it in a firmer voice, that seemed to work for a few mins. Then they went again, this time I had to move her from the stuation, as felt it might go on for awhile!

This also happened a few nights later, but she was eating a little quicker but still had to say leave it once.

Was just wondering if anyone could offer any advice, as don't want it affecting the way he is, as due to all the upheaval, he seem to be fine, apart from this, he is also now starting to ignore commands where as before was the other way round!

Thanks

Are you feeding in the crates? If you are he cant get her or her food so I wouldnt worry but if hes finnished and she hasnt I would take him out of the crate and then out of the room to avoid a conflict even through bars! I often have to do this as I have the same situation my boy inhales his food and my girl is slower and fussier and will guard it so I remove him from the room when hes finnished to stop her from feeling defensive towards him. :) Hope that helps.. Nix's idea of a slowing down his eating with a bowl is a good one also as its not healthy for them to inhale their food!

Thanks for the quick replys, like the idea of the slow feeding bowl, Most of the time they seem ok last few night not been a problem, just every so often he seems to think he can push her! An yes I would feed one in one room and the other in another if I could be in two places at the same time as my wife and I are a few hundred miles apart atm ;)! So might be a problem on that one.

Storm (adopted) is like this with food (& probably worse). I bought one of those bowls and it made a HUGE difference. When i introduced it i decided there was going to be new rules associated with the bowl...i insist that some of the food is hand fed, the bowl is routinly picked up part way through the meal etc. (I could never do this with the exsisting bowl..he had 'ownership' of it).

By introducing a new bowl made a huge difference and yes it really slowed him down which much be better for his digestion.

I now have a pup too and feeding is ALWAYS done seperatly due to his behaviour around food, but we also take this a step a further for pups safety. When we eat they both wait in their crates until we say they can come out & not they are not to be in the kitchen area together when i am cooking...if i dropped something and they both went to get it all hell would let loose.

I can be stressful at times but it does take coordination within the home to ensure it all doesnt break out.

Doctor Fish, that is incredibly dangerous advice to be giving. Resource guarding is a very serious problem that doesn't just go away if you "keep an eye on them". Not only will fights occur if it gets out of hand but the dogs could be seriously injured or even killed. Not to forget too that a problem like this can spread into other areas and affect the entire pack order.

To the OP, I would be feeding in separate rooms for now. What is your routine when you feed the dogs?

Well, it,s seemd I was a happy owner the dogs who didn,t fight for food....Only growling and showing teeth...

Nothing sirious....Maybe becouse they have common blood.....

And look....Come on....;) I didn, t give any advice how to do....I, ve said only that "It,s not bad... ". But that,s it IMHO...:D

Everybody does as he want....

I would move their crates away from each other. Or if that's not possible I would remove him from the crate once he's done. I feed all of mine in the kitchen at once. When someones done they are told "out" and they leave the kitchen and go into the yard. This is to avoid them trying to sneak into each others bowls or just to avoid them bothering one another. There's no reason he needs to stay in the crate and bully her through the bars. The slower feeding bowls work great, and there are also some "puzzle" bowls around that make the dog think and try to figure out how to get the food out. That will keep him occupied longer as well as make him slow down with eating.