Any advice?

I got my old bike last weekend, and have spent the past week making sure that it is in top working order - oiled chain, tightened breaks, etc, etc.

Well today I took Isis out for the first time with the bike. Because I wasn't too sure how she would run I got Luke (my son) to ride out infront of us and keep calling her name every so often just to keep her focussed on chasing after him. I used the usual commands as I would for when I used to run with them - hike on, wooah, steady, etc. We only ran for approx 10 minutes and she did great - to be honest I pedalled all of the way so she didn't pull much the first time, just run. She could have carried on going, but I know its more important to stop whilst they are still enjoying it.

So here are my questions:

How far should I expect to run the first few times?

How often do you recommend that I run with her?

Is it best to remove my son from in front of us sooner rather than later?

Is there anything else that you think I need to know and haven't mentioned?

How far should I expect to run the first few times? ................... I limited it to 10 mins when i first started

How often do you recommend that I run with her? .....................depends on the time of year and temperatures, in winter / colder months i try and get out twice a week - don't forget in the summer you probably won't be able to but she will more than likely still have a fair bit of energy to burn as she will be used to it

Is it best to remove my son from in front of us sooner rather than later?.............i'd say sooner the better ;)

Great to hear she enjoyed it :) Bet you did as well!!

***My answers are in relation to the fact that I train for sprint racing. Even if you don't plan on racing these tips are pointed towards getting the very best out of your dog and speed as opposed to simply giving her a form of exercise.

How far should I expect to run the first few times?

I measure by distance not time. The first run of the season is about 2 miles as I find any adult husky in their prime age range and in good physical condition should be able to maintain a gallop for that entire distance. I gage how tired they seem at the end of that run and increase accordingly. This season we increased to 3 miles by the second run because the dogs were still raring when we got back from the 2 mile run. They never broke the full outstretched gallop and didn't for the 3 miles either. When hills were included in the 3 miler though I noticed they almost broke down to a trot a couple times which means they arent ready to increase distance yet. I would continue to do 3 mile with hills until they are finishing strong then I increase by 1/2 mile. I keep doing the same pattern until we are running about 5 miles since all races I enter them in are about 4 miles.

How often do you recommend that I run with her?

That depends on what your goal is. If you are just looking to keep in shape than a couple times a week is good. Its enough for her to keep her wind up as long as you arent expecting to be able to increase to big distances. I run my guys about 5 times a week (never more than 5 but sometimes weather doesn't let us get all 5 runs in) while in prime conditioning and racing season. At the end of racing season towards spring sometimes we only go out 1-2 times a week. During the summer we don't go out at all as it never seems cool enough (I won't run when its over 15C but prefer it to be less than 10C)

Is it best to remove my son from in front of us sooner rather than later?

Yes, you want her to be comfortable being the leader not the follower since you are only running one dog. Once she is good about being out in front on her own you can bring your son back into the equation and use him to teach her to "on-by". Practice both overtaking him from behind and passing as well as head-on passing (coming from opposite directions)

Is there anything else that you think I need to know and haven't mentioned?

Tough call, there's so much about this sport and I don't know what you do and dont already know LOL I do want to stress though not to run her until she tires like you mentioned. Though she may look like she is loving it in the moment and continues to look forward to running the next few times, this is a very quick way to burn out a good dog. Keep it fun and always keep her wanting more! I usually end my runs with a reward too. While the act of running itself is a reward they still are doing a good job for me plus it encourages them to go directly back to my truck at the end of the run which is super handy at races if I don't have anyone to catch my dogs at the finish. Doesn't have to be anything big, just something the dogs love and only get after runs.

from my experience is they need to learn from self motivation. so yes i wouldnt have someone out in front and always ensure she is pulling otherwise she will learn that you do half the work.

can you make the training event at elevedon forest...that will be perfet for you to learn and talk to mushers

I think the teams will be leaving @ 1 minute intervals too so plenty of motivation will be available;)

Thanks to everyone! We are mainly running to keep Isis in shape, and have some fun!

from my experience is they need to learn from self motivation. so yes i wouldnt have someone out in front and always ensure she is pulling otherwise she will learn that you do half the work.

can you make the training event at elevedon forest...that will be perfet for you to learn and talk to mushers

Not too sure if I can - but i'm hoping to! Isis has no papers - so talking and gaining tips would be great, but im guessing she wouldn't be allowed to run!

Its your call, no one is going to stop you from running her. If you are sure you can keep her under control andaway from the boys then bring her :) tho it may be a good idea to put her in the car when your off chatting to people