Half Check Dog Collar

ok so i have bought one ov these for blaze as he still pulls when he sees people or other animals n no matter what i do he wont listen and also when i take him the feild he knows the route so he pulls just looking for advice on how tight it needs 2 b and where it needs 2 b placed on the neck for it 2 take effect? also any other advice given for usin this type ov collar is greatly appreciated :D thanks every1!

also this collar wont b used for when we r on the feild cuz he is allowed 2 run about then so he will only have it on walks where he isnt allowed 2 pull and for on the way to and from the feild only just incase any1 wanted to no or thought it was abit cruel to have him on one ov these collars when hes goin to the feild 2 play

Good question, was thinking of popping the same question on here - added to rep

I have one on Banidt and Ive got it so when it's "relaxed" (or not tightened) I can fit three fingers comfortabley between Bandit's neck and the collar without it putting pressure onto him. Im not sure if I have it fitted correctly hopefully be able to find out.

I found this...unfortunately the picture didn't show, so don't know if that showed you where.

Half Check training

If you own a strong or large breed, then this training may be the one for you. Half check collars are half normal collar and part chain.

You connect your lead onto the hoop as normal and basically the collar will tighten if the dog pulls to hard, but this is a much safer method than choke chains where the dog will possibly choke itself to death. You will find lot of large breed owners use this method, as unlike with a small dog you cannot stop an 8 stone Rottie as easily.

When setting off for a walk raise the collar up to just at the base of your dogs ears. This is the most sensitive part of your dogs’ neck which will make him less likely to pull. Once in the correct position, clip the lead to the loop and hold the lead on one hand above your dogs head, you will have total control from this angle. Whilst out on your walk encourage your dog by verbally praising him, keep saying ‘heel’ in a nice friendly high pitched voice, if he does try and venture forward, or the lead slips down, think of a good noise that will let him know that behaviour is not acceptable, we like to use “ah!†short, sharp and low. Then have him sit down, adjust the collar and carry on. Do this training in short sharp bursts, try and take at least 20 steps before getting your dog to sit beside you then give him a big rub all over and praise him lots! Start walking again for little longer this time, then get him to sit and give him lots of attention!

Also add some variety into your walk, dogs find human pace extremely boring, so try to run with your dog, do some weaves, then slow it right down almost to creeping pace and then run around again, all of this will teach your dog to watch what YOU are doing and will make them more likely to stay by your side. Do not attempt to add any distractions at this stage until your dog is comfortable with this style of walking. This is a slow process and will take high level of patience, if you are in a bad mood or tired please do not attempt to train heel work with your dog.

this was in the info above!

if he does try and venture forward, or the lead slips down, think of a good noise that will let him know that behaviour is not acceptable, we like to use “ah!†short, sharp and low. Then have him sit down, adjust the collar and carry on.

yeah i was just wondering if its ok 2 have it tight that it sits jus behind the ears so it doesnt slip down or if thats not a gd way to have it i had it up behind his ears n everytime he pulled he looked at me wit those big bi-eyes n i felt guily :cry_smile:

If you have it adjusted that tightly, it really defeats the object of the collar. The point is that when the dog doesn't pull, the collar is loose. When he/she pulls, it tightens and gives the walker more control. It really is just a question of practice.

Huskies are quick learners, so it shouldn't take too long.

Mick

• 1 year later...

I found this...unfortunately the picture didn't show, so don't know if that showed you where.

Half Check training

If you own a strong or large breed, then this training may be the one for you. Half check collars are half normal collar and part chain.

You connect your lead onto the hoop as normal and basically the collar will tighten if the dog pulls to hard, but this is a much safer method than choke chains where the dog will possibly choke itself to death. You will find lot of large breed owners use this method, as unlike with a small dog you cannot stop an 8 stone Rottie as easily.

When setting off for a walk raise the collar up to just at the base of your dogs ears. This is the most sensitive part of your dogs’ neck which will make him less likely to pull. Once in the correct position, clip the lead to the loop and hold the lead on one hand above your dogs head, you will have total control from this angle. Whilst out on your walk encourage your dog by verbally praising him, keep saying ‘heel’ in a nice friendly high pitched voice, if he does try and venture forward, or the lead slips down, think of a good noise that will let him know that behaviour is not acceptable, we like to use “ah!†short, sharp and low. Then have him sit down, adjust the collar and carry on. Do this training in short sharp bursts, try and take at least 20 steps before getting your dog to sit beside you then give him a big rub all over and praise him lots! Start walking again for little longer this time, then get him to sit and give him lots of attention!

Also add some variety into your walk, dogs find human pace extremely boring, so try to run with your dog, do some weaves, then slow it right down almost to creeping pace and then run around again, all of this will teach your dog to watch what YOU are doing and will make them more likely to stay by your side. Do not attempt to add any distractions at this stage until your dog is comfortable with this style of walking. This is a slow process and will take high level of patience, if you are in a bad mood or tired please do not attempt to train heel work with your dog.

Thats a really useful piece of info, Tikaani pulls and even thought they are quick learners it has been a job to stop him from pulling. Especially since he now weighs 25kg+!

He is normally ok but when he sees another dog, rabbit, bird etc he always wants to chase after it & pulls loads. I think it may just be a case of persistance huh.gif

A half check should be fitted firmly high on the dog's neck, behind the ears. This is because that's the most sensitive part of the dog's neck and therefore will require a more minimum correction.

I wouldn't bother saying heel unless you teach the dog what heel is, I see it all the time when I am out - people telling their dog to 'heel' over and over again, with no effect because the dog has no idea what it means.