Cycling

I just wondered with regards riding on the roads with dog in tow... we have some lovely back roads down our way *we're in the fens so it's lovely and flat too* - but what is the law on riding with your dog??

I have heard heaps of different stories on this.. and short of emailing the police the highway code would state it's against the law as it is something additional to your bike ??

Ok.. any help would be appreciated on this one.. as would love a walkydog for Neo..

I have just checked DirectGov. org there is nothing to say it is illegal to

cycle with your dog.

However as some people cycle on the PATH with their dog

cycling on the pathway IS illegal.

also if it is a public right of way such as a bridle path. . . no problem.

I ride with Darwin attatched to a walkydog. I've been on the road

and gone past police cars and PCSO's on their bikes and

had nothing but smiles and waves biggrin.gif

• 1 month later...

Great pic!!

I want to ask you what do you think of that "bike lead". I have been thinking of buying one (since my Jill tends to pull like crazy and go as fast as she can when we go for a bike and only my boyfriend is brave enough to bike with her) and I would want an honest opinion. Is it safe even if the dog pulls very much??

do you mean the leash at the front of the bike? Either one is ok, if at the front, you need to make sure you've got an antenna so the lead doesn't wrap around the wheel

Actually we simply hold the normal leash (the one we use for normal walks) in the hand when cycling with her. This way it is extremely dangerous because if she runs super fast and pulls, she pulls you and not the bike and you can easily fall.

This is way I asked if the kind of leash used in the picture is safe. :) I am really tempted to try it!

Oh, and sorry for my poor English!:(