Proper fit on an Xback?

Right anyone who works their pooches I need your help!

I have a medium manmat Xback, tried it on my boy and it fits but seems to be a little tight around the kneck area, so my question is how fitted is too fitted? Obviously it cant be too loose or it will wiggle around but I also dont want it so tight that it cuts off anything vital!??

So what do you think? Should I try to sell and order a large?

Ooooor because I'm going to be scootering with him and the gang line is going to be fastened at the handel base maybe a H back might be better? He does have one that fit lovley but its not padded?

Help!! Im stuck and I really want to start scootering with him as his energy levels have really taken off with his gaining confidence! :)

• 3 weeks later...

hmmm - i thought the ones i had fit ok but if i get a smaller size it won't correctly down their back?

You're probably looking at a custom x-back harness then Sarah or try a different brand.

When I was fitting dogs at the start I really didn't have a notion. If someone said there dogs was a 24" neck I presumed a 24" harness was the right fit, as the neck measurments were correct.

Ole is a 21.5 inch neck and the Zima harness is perfect on him in L which is 21". It's a very snug fit around the neck with the collared design. It's the first perfect fitting harness on Ole and once he pulls the tug goes to the base of the tail and the harness sits flat and snugly around the body.

The Nordkyn xback however needs to go down to a 20" neck to fit him, and in the ManMat he's a L. The ManMat would be a bit big by half an inch maybe more but the size M cuts underneath the legs and only pulls 3/4 way down the back and not hitting the base of the tail. I've been experimenting with different brands now and it's amazing the difference in the fit, I think you have to try the brand of harness on the dog to get that perfect fit.

A good guide as the others suggested is you should be only able to get 2 fingers between the neck and harness. If it's too big it will slide of the dogs shoulder causing discomfort, and the dog might not run right.

• 2 weeks later...

You're probably looking at a custom x-back harness then Sarah or try a different brand.

When I was fitting dogs at the start I really didn't have a notion. If someone said there dogs was a 24" neck I presumed a 24" harness was the right fit, as the neck measurments were correct.

Ole is a 21.5 inch neck and the Zima harness is perfect on him in L which is 21". It's a very snug fit around the neck with the collared design. It's the first perfect fitting harness on Ole and once he pulls the tug goes to the base of the tail and the harness sits flat and snugly around the body.

The Nordkyn xback however needs to go down to a 20" neck to fit him, and in the ManMat he's a L. The ManMat would be a bit big by half an inch maybe more but the size M cuts underneath the legs and only pulls 3/4 way down the back and not hitting the base of the tail. I've been experimenting with different brands now and it's amazing the difference in the fit, I think you have to try the brand of harness on the dog to get that perfect fit.

A good guide as the others suggested is you should be only able to get 2 fingers between the neck and harness. If it's too big it will slide of the dogs shoulder causing discomfort, and the dog might not run right.

This is facinating Rita! I was looking at a manmat too as thats what I had before and liked and thats what Sarah has.. we tried her large on Shadow at camp and it seeeeeeemed to fit him but now Im thinking I didnt look properly enough!

Hes going to be a tricky fit too I think as I think he has some Mally in him so hes a much squarer build than your average sibe.. hes big and has quite a deep chest.

Maybe I would be better off getting him messured up and buying something specially made but I might not have this in time for the training rally on 6/7th nov! Ooooh dilema!! :blink:

This is facinating Rita! I was looking at a manmat too as thats what I had before and liked and thats what Sarah has.. we tried her large on Shadow at camp and it seeeeeeemed to fit him but now Im thinking I didnt look properly enough!

Hes going to be a tricky fit too I think as I think he has some Mally in him so hes a much squarer build than your average sibe.. hes big and has quite a deep chest.

Maybe I would be better off getting him messured up and buying something specially made but I might not have this in time for the training rally on 6/7th nov! Ooooh dilema!! :blink:

SASS stuff is all handmade, if you give them a ring they can tell you how to measure him :)

Damn I have SOOOO much to learn! LOL maybe I should not order anything till Iv been to the training rally and you can all advice me on what would be best for my Shadow boy? Dont want to waste money and potentially harm him!! :blink:

I'd think that's the best idea, and maybe some mushers might let you try their dogs harness(es) on Shadow. Custom harnesses aren't usually returnable and if you measure wrong it could be a waste of money.

Training rallies are a good place to get advice for equipment. I also do custom made harnesses but there's a 2 weeks wait on them which is a downfall.

If you wanted I could post you a few different sizes and you could try them on and return them.

I'd think that's the best idea, and maybe some mushers might let you try their dogs harness(es) on Shadow. Custom harnesses aren't usually returnable and if you measure wrong it could be a waste of money.

Training rallies are a good place to get advice for equipment. I also do custom made harnesses but there's a 2 weeks wait on them which is a downfall.

If you wanted I could post you a few different sizes and you could try them on and return them.

Wow Rita thats such a generous offer but would cost you a bloomin fortune in postage! I think I'll wait and get advice and proper messuements at the training rally then I can send you the details and just have the one made! LOL :)