I'm fostering a Husky and REALLY need HELP

This boy was found laying in the middle of a highway around the Nashville, TN area along with another male and a female. The female was dead on the road :( The two boys were lying next to her and refused to leave until a generous man picked her up and took her into his garage. The boys followed. I agreed to foster them. The one boy was very vocal and continued to beat on the boy I have now. Since we neutered them a week ago, we have separated them and the dominant male has become a gentle soul. His foster has him in the house and he has proven to be housebroke and is using a doggie door and is very well behaved. My boy on the other hand has serious issues. He stopped eating completely for 4 days. Once the other boy left, he has started eating for me. I have gotten him to let me touch him and pet him as long as he is in his crate. I do have him in the house, but he hates coming out of the crate. I have to literally pick him up to take him outside. He will pee on himself as soon as he gets out, he is so nervous. I have put a harness on him to try and walk him, but he is absolutely horrified of a leash and can literally chew thru a slip leash in seconds. It is impossible to walk him to potty. I don't think he has pooped in 2 days except for the little bits that fall out when he urinates on himself when I carry him outside. This poor guy...I just don't know what to do. Today I did walk him, well not walk, he flipped and jumped the whole time. I petted him and we "talked" and I showed him the leash wasn't going to hurt him for about 10 minutes we just sat in the middle of the lawn (his hind legs were shaking the whole time). Then I walked him back to the door and he actually walked! even tho he still tried to eat the leash (haha, I had a metal one on him). Can anyone give me any suggestions as to what might help this guy with his horrid fear? I can't even imagine what he has been thru or how long he (they) were running and why his probable litter mate is so "normal". Thanks for ANY help!

What a heartbreaking story :( , well done for taking him in. It sounds like he has been through a horrendous experiance and it will probably take time, patience and perseverance from yourself to help him. There are many more experienced members on here than myself who will give you excellent advice.

Good luck and I am glad you joined the forum.

aw the poor wee sod...he wil come round. im into my 4th week of adopting a wee female and at first she had food aggression, which has now gone , as i fed her by hand. She wasnt affectionate at all ,as i dont think she was used to any but now she will let us stroke her quite happily. She dosent know how to play with toys but we are working on that at present.. I think its all down to trust and he will eventually learn to trust you and his new circumstances, he is probably very traumatised and just needs lots of love....well done for takin him in and good luck:D :D

very small steps to start - leave him to come to you, try putting a leash on him & letting it trail indoors, get him used to it being there. Try picking it up every now & again & lead him outside. Don't encourage him with a softly, softly approach, stand there till he follows & when he does, praise him, treat him, whatever motivates.

Just be patient with him, he will come round but after what he must have been through it may take time

good luck with him, let us know how you go, xxx

first off well done for taking these boys in.

you seem to be doing everything right, things will take time and will happen in baby steps.

dont try and push the progress as it might have the reverse effect and drive these dogs to be more fearful.....

again well done for rescuing these guys and asking for help

my pack sends woo's and licks

kelly

this reply is from Keath, Sakari & Nukka - but he cant get online atm so has asked me to post it on his behalf

For some reason the site hates me at the moment. I trie dto postthis as soon as the tread was up

from Keath. Sakari and Nukka

Cheers Nix for posting it up for me as i havent been able to log on since that thread was put up

That is so sad about the female well all of them but for one to die like that :-(

Well formost well done for taking them in even if only one remains with you. The main thing is they are pack animals he ha sjust lost his pack and prob a little lost in him slef but his past will prob also be his problem not because of what happend to him but because of how you see him he will detect sympathy even thou you you're self may not be acting upon it.

His crate is his refuge where no one can hurt him I would suggest not letting him in his crate and put it away some where so he can't run and hide in it. His fear of a leash will take a little bit of time he sees it as not a form of going for walk an to be enjoyed he sees it as to what got him in to his situation he ended up in. what yu nee dto do is pretty much what you are doing. Find a treat he loves and have it in ur hand sit near him but dont go to him you need to get his interest watch his reactions you need to start by getting his nose in the air get him sniffing the air dont go to him with the treat let him come to you and when he has come to you use the handle of the leash to stroke him as he takes teh treat from you repeat as much as humanly posisble so his brain realises leash an coming to you means treat in baby steps gain his trust dont just put it on him this will invoke panic an keep you where you are at now.

Try this for a few days see how it goes then if it helps i will add.

Food wise husky's are very picky with food they can stop eating for days for no reason other than thye dont wnat to eat they are not going to strave them selves just put his food down for 15 mins an no more pick it up an keep it away untill next feeding time and again 15 ins if not eating pick it up an keep it away. routine will help with this but do not over feed withtreats to compensate for this treats are just that treats not food replacement.

What are you feeding him on ?

And dogs shaking is not 90% of the timer because it is scared when dogs are scared they physicly react when forced to do some thing shaking is the brain having an argument with it's self it's instinct vs what it's doing example I want to run but I will stay not the best example. Hope all works out for you

Thats a tear breaking story :( So glad you have adopted him and are fully committed to helping him

He has been through an awful horrific time so it will take time for him to come out of his shell. I would try encouraging him out by using positive experiences. This will depend on what he would see as positive, it could be treats, toys, play, etc. Also try to ensure your not being confrontational with him. Face sideways to him and stay at his level, don't tower over him. When you pet him go to pet his chest and belly not over the head as this can also be confrontational.

With the lead fear try sitting with him and just play with the lead, don't put it on him and let him come to you and the lead. When he does approach you (even if he stands and watches you from a distance) reward him with his fave treat or a toy so hopefully he will pick up that the lead isn't going to harm him and you will be letting him get used to it all at his own pace. Don't expect him to want the lead on straight away or even on the same day even if you can get him to approach you playing with the lead its a start. Get the lead out at different times of the day and do other stuff with the lead like wearing it around you when your doing housework or something or carry it in your pocket, etc. Hopefully with time and patience he will see that the lead brings pleasurable things to him and will earn to trust you and the lead.

Hope this helps

Love and husky hugs

Me and the pack

i had a very similar experience with my rescue orca and this was the best advise i was given and worked 100% for me isdw gave me this tip

The first thing I'd say, is don't reinforce his behaviour. If you had a human child that was scared like this, you'd cuddle them and tell them everything is alright, and explain how people aren't going to hurt them. However, if you do the same for a dog, they don't understand the words, all they know is they are doing a certain behaviour and they're getting your attention and reward for it, so they'll continue to do it. It is really, really, really hard, but you have to ignore the behaviour, and make sure that everyone else does the same. There are some behaviourists that believe in the technique called 'flooding' when they literally 'flood' the dog with emotions, so that they over the fear. But I really don't subscribe to those techniques at all. I would suggest that when she acts like this you all ignore her and just carry on, calmly with your lives. She will begin to learn that there is nothing to fear. I'm not saying its going to happen overnight, but she will feel safe.

hope this helps you in some way best of luck and well done you