biting/gate jumping

hi, shadow is just over 9 months now and for the last two months or so he has been 'attacking' my dad. what i mean is if i have some food he wont come near me but if my dad has food he will jump all over him to get it and 9/10 will win. Another time is if my brother, mother or myself have our hands near his face he will not bite, yet if my dad does it, he will bite him and grip on which results in me coming and getting shadow off him and dealing with him. I have lots of different times and things that shadow has just had a go at my dad for no reason several times drawing blood. What we dont understand is it just my dad he will go after no one else

Secondly we have a baby gate to stop him from going up stairs as he tends to poo on the landing, the gate is 34inchs tall(39inchs including the step below to the top of the gate) and is the width of the stairs. I have had it at all different points of the stairs and he still manages to jump it, even from half way up. Its tearing our walls apart and to make things harder he has learned if he jumps at the gate enough times he can knock it loose and then pulls it down or open with his head.

Both of these are issues i would like getting sorted asap, so any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

he doesnt see your dad as alpha - not sure what you can do apart from get your dad to do some training n stuff with him to make him realise your dad is some1 he HAS to listen too

with the gate - skyla can jump a baby gate but she cant jump a dog gate as these are higher - have u tried 1 of those instead ?

At the moment im alpha in our family and shadow listens to me. but up until the biting started he would listen to my dad but one day just decided not to listen and just go for him. something i forgot to mention he wont attack my dad if i am downstairs or in the same room, its only when im not there that he will do it.

The biggest dog gate i could find was only 40inchs high but when he is jumping over the 39inchs he still has a few inches between his belly and the gate. We have a 4.5 foot fence that devides our back garden but he has been able to jump it we got rid of it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lindam-Easy-Plus-Safety-Gate/dp/B000S5L5TC/ref=tag_tdp_sv_edpp_i this is what we have its bigger then the child gates

when ur dads around keepp him on a training line when he acts innapropiately grab the line and remove him from the room till hes calm - he will soon learn that that behaviour gets him nowhere

he might be starting to go through the teenage rebel stage where he doesn't want to listen and is testing the boundaries

I think he has been doing that since we got him haha

when ur dads around keepp him on a training line when he acts innapropiately grab the line and remove him from the room till hes calm - he will soon learn that that behaviour gets him nowhere

Like i said he is good as gold when im in the house but im at college now and cant be there 24/7

My dad will try sit down and train him but he just doesnt take no notice of him and licks himself, wonders off or just looks at him thinking what are you doing lol even treats dont interest him as i said before if i repeat what my dad says he will do it.

Not sure about the dog gate problem but the dad problem... it sounds to me like he sees your dad as bottom of the pack so he is challnging him to get above him in the pack and is winning! Your dad needs to rise to the challenge, I'd get you dad to feed him, making him sit and wait till your dad gives the ok to eat before he is allowed... and get your dad to pretend to eat out of the bowl first too so your pup sees him eating before him, things like this cement your dads position ABOVE the dog in the pack.

The jumping up to get what your dads eating sounds like its a learned thing because its worked once he will try it over and over as it gets him food... best thing for your dad to do there is put the pup on a lead before he eats and then stand on the lead so he cant jump up and get the food.. or possibley just shut him out of the room while he eats? but its better to eat in front of the dog when the dog cant get it as again its promoting your dads position above the dog, he eats first and the dog cant have it!

Above all you need to work on this NOW otherwise hes only gunna get bigger and take more advantage of your dad.

I think he has been doing that since we got him haha

Like i said he is good as gold when im in the house but im at college now and cant be there 24/7

My dad will try sit down and train him but he just doesnt take no notice of him and licks himself, wonders off or just looks at him thinking what are you doing lol even treats dont interest him as i said before if i repeat what my dad says he will do it.

is someone else around with your dad when hes doing this?? can they stop him - if its only when hes sitting down when he does it get your dad to stand up give a command - a firm no or a noise like AH AH and then once hes calm praise him ??