Strange whining..

Hi guys,

I don't know if you will be able to help.. but hoping someone has an idea.

Just over a week ago my 10 month old, fully intact male pup started some strange behaviours.

Up until now he has been sleeping downstairs with water and bed in the kitchen. He used to head off to sleep around 10pm to 10.30pm and you wouldn't hear from him again till around 7.30am when he wanted to go out.

During the day he used to have two, half hour to an hour walks and around half hour a day *split into smaller sessions* of training or mental games *he loves guess which hand the treat is in*

He was fairly good on walks with his half check collar and would only really start pulling if he saw another dog he wanted to play with.

NOW.. since just over a week ago he spend 80% of the day whining.. either in the garden at the back gate or if you bring him in he whines at the window and jumps up the front door whining.

We've tried giving the 'no' and 'off' command when he whines or jumps but it's like he's posessed.. usually being very good with those commands !!

It doesn't matter if he's just come back from an hour and a halfs walk *we've started walking him three times a day now and for slightly longer*.. he still does it..

So, we're walking him more, although he now has an upset stomach as he's just changed his food yesterday to a mixer and meats instead of kibble and meats.. he had before been firm although slightly looser than normal.

He seems more aggitated lately and can't settle when he's in this mode.. and he wakes through the night to go toilet, but then stands outside howling till I get him back in and is usually up around 4.30am - 5.30am

Obviously no one is sleeping well and now the neighbours are complaining - which is understandable but we're trying to think of everything.

We are hoping to get him into the vets when they re-open tomorrow - but wondered if anyone had any ideas on the whining.

Many thanks in advance.

Nikki x

hi Nikki

you are not alone on this....shiloh started doing exactly the same about 2 wk ago...he howls at the back gate...jumps up at window...whines in house and quite a few on here suggested about a bitch nearby being on heat??

shioh isnt neutered so i think this may be what is happening......its so annoying.....as soon as you let him out he howls and he is so loud- this can be at 6am!! i am really consious now as im sure the neighbours can hear it :(

sounds like a definite possibilty, in which case, he may will act like that for a while. I noticed you say you changed his food - did you do that all in one day? you should really try & change it over the course of a week, 3/4 old food + 1/4 new for 2 days, then half & half, etc so it is a gradual change, as that can upset the tummy & give them the squits :blink::D

With regards his food he has been having a little of his old food and new food together - but probably not enough of his old food.. so will give more old to new for a while..

With regards the whining if it is a dog on heat - which with the boom of new dogs in the area could well be.. how long are bitches likely to be on heat for average ??

It seems like this could be the answer as we have noticed he had a few days when he first started the behaviour that he was really REALLY bad with the howling - now it is still really bad, but not all day anymore..

We have been advised on the castration front to wait till he's closer on to being a year old.. is this still advisable ??

Thankyou guys..

Much appreciated :)

I just found out that a bitch is in heat from anywhere 8-30 days with the average heat cycle being 21 days..

Apparently it's 7 days coming into heat, 7 days on heat and then 7 days going out..

I also found a text message from me to my partner about his whining *the dog not the OH..lol* and it looks like it's been nearer two weeks here too...

Neo has been a little calmer today... hopefully it means the end of the cycle lol..

With regards to getting him neutered, i'd wait a bit longer until he's both mentally and physically mature enough - 18 months ish

In the mean time buy some ear plugs - a bitch comes into heat every 6 mnths so catch up on your sleep when you can xxxx biggrin.gif

Hi guys..

Went next door and spoke to them about the possibility of a bitch being on heat and sorry for the noise etc... and guess who's bitch it is on heat... lol

They didn't think to mention it in passing !!

So, now I don't feel so guilty about the noise... is that wrong ???

Thankyou guys.. your help was truly appreciated and although it doesn't stop the whining and general behaviour - we know he's not ill or losing the plot...

HUGE hugs Tamz with regards Shiloh - I feel your frustration too *and his* xx

would have been nice of them to give you the heads up! rolleyes.gif

Glad it isn't only me that thinks so... maybe that's why they haven't complained about the noise - and even though they said they didn't notice, I know they must have because neighbours over the road have.. and these are new houses with walls like paper - enough that we hear their dog bark..

Now tell me they didn't hear a full on husky howl...lol

Now I know how to do it... rep added :) - thankyou guys xx