Toilet Training Tips

Ok so Doof has decided it's a good idea to wee and poo in the house

WHEN THE BACK DOOR IS WIDE OPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

he's fine in his crate no matter how long he's left but just randomly does this-what can we do???

currently we're putting his nose next to it and saying no....then tapping his nose and putting him outside.....

anything else we can do???

he's A LOT dopier than ozzy.....he still hasn't got the hang of 'paw' either!!! duuuuuuuuh doof is DEFINATELY the right name for him!!!!

Diz

xxx

i wouldn't show him what he's done and say no - they don't remember after the fact, doing that, all you're doing is showing him pooing is bad....so he will do it where you can't see him and then you've got a wholllleeeeeeeeeeee different problem on your hands blink.gif

Best way i found was to ignore the bad and praise the good smile.gif

Just keep taking him outside and praising when he goes in his "spot" - even treat him if need be :)

Keep an eye on him at all times otherwise, so that you can spot the signs (sniffing at the ground in circles, etc) - and catch it right before its about to happen, say no - pop him outside to his spot, give the command, and treat. Eventually he'll get it ;D!

how old is he again? so he was formerly trained and now all of a sudden he's going inside the house?

here is what i've done with Zeeva and it's been a maracle with her (i dunno if i'm just lucky). I tell her to ‘come’ (once) and open the door and walk out while she walks out with me. I do this especially right after she eats, sleeps or plays rigorously for more than 10-15 minutes or so. I’ve noticed with her that those are the peak time of choice for her to wee-- poo especially after she eats or in the morning after we both wake up (aren’t dogs the best alarm clock ever?!?) anyway, I also just randomly take her out once in a while if she’s lounging around. Keep an eye out for sniffing the floor or going somewhere private (which by then is usually too late)….

also i spray the area with lysol and clean it well if she does go somewhere inside and keep those square pads around (which she will use on occasion especially at night)

Hope this helps a wee bit…no pun intended :)

Icey has been doing this exact same thing. Good in the kennel. Goes everytime when we go for a walk. But randomly in the house he will go as he pleases. Almost like he is making fun of us for having to clean it up.

One night, while the wife and daughter were at church, he peed 4 times back to back. Each time I saw him doing it, said "no", and took him outside. As soon as we come in and I start cleaning up the mess he would start sprinkling in another spot. I was going frantic trying to keep up. I know he's only 11 weeks old, but it's like he was messing with me on purpose. I hope not cuz I don't really like this game.

He is getting plenty of attention. That's all we do around here now. It's all about Icey... all day... every day.

Embrys been doing this also and he only does it infront of myboyfriend. I was thinking that maybe he's been trying to show he's alpha over my boyfriend cause he can pee on the kitchen floor lol

Try telling your boyfriend to pee on the floor right after him. We can't have Embry getting the best of him.

Icey has been doing this exact same thing. Good in the kennel. Goes everytime when we go for a walk. But randomly in the house he will go as he pleases. Almost like he is making fun of us for having to clean it up.

One night, while the wife and daughter were at church, he peed 4 times back to back. Each time I saw him doing it, said "no", and took him outside. As soon as we come in and I start cleaning up the mess he would start sprinkling in another spot. I was going frantic trying to keep up. I know he's only 11 weeks old, but it's like he was messing with me on purpose. I hope not cuz I don't really like this game.

He is getting plenty of attention. That's all we do around here now. It's all about Icey... all day... every day.

well at 11 weeks i would say he's ok he's not doing it to spite you (though I know how that feels ) ...that young they cant hold it it for long....loki when he was that age would just walk and pee there was no walking in circles or sniffing just out of no where you saw him pee ..it was as if he didn't even know he was going potty.....but he's great so far always been going potty outside, and freaks out if who ever is watching him isn't taking him out.. but I've also figured out a schedule with him its almost 100% constant and if not then he lets me know...by jumping at the door or pawing at my back haha or on a rare occasion yell at me laugh.gif...........................................as for the ones that just started going in the house....maybe they smell the pee from before??

When we got Thor he was 11/2 all was fine for the first few weeks he did every thing out side, but then he started to randomly pee and poo in the house. I never said a word to him i just put him out and cleaned it us so he could not see me do this, i just ignored the fact he'd done it so he got no reaction and it did not give him any attention, after a few weeks it stopped xxxxxxx

• 2 weeks later...

i wouldn't show him what he's done and say no - they don't remember after the fact, doing that, all you're doing is showing him pooing is bad....

I agree that dogs don't understand what they did wrong after the fact - I think there's something like a 5 second recall. If we catch Lyra in the act of going in the apartment, we say "Outside" in a stern voice and take her out. If she goes again outside she's heavily praised and treated. Meanwhile, someone is cleaning her mess up inside so she can't see us do it - we don't want to give her the idea that we're meant to clean up her messes inside. Otherwise, if we find a mess after the fact, I figure it's our fault for not taking her out, so we simply clean it up when she's not watching and ignore the situation.

She's about 3 and 1/2 months now and is doing remarkably well potty training. The only time she seems to forget is if another dog is around - then she might pee in front of them. Do you think marking might be an issue with Doof?