Speed up internet

Marc

OK first of all I wasnt sure whether to post this up in the Steam Room of Tech area of the forum, but I figured since I have solved the issues (as far as I can do) then I would post it up in here.

Unfortunatly I dont live in a cable area, which for a tech head like myself is a real annoyance. Therefore I have to put up with the usual ADSA (comes through your phoneline for non tech folk) in which I get the usual "Up to 8mb" rubbish they say from sky. Now over the past few week we have been having a few issues with our connection occasionally going offline, and going offline everytime when the telephone rings. So I decided that it was time to sort this out once and for all.

STEP 1:

I decided that since the phone is going offline all the time, this had to be the microfilter. So I routed through my shed (not an easy task at the best of times) to find another one and plugged that in. This was last night and all was well for about 30 mins when the internet went offline, yet again!

STEP 2:

The second step was to make sure everything was plugged in around any electrical interferance which can affect your intent connect. Yet again, no joy. Sarahs mother calls, internet goes off. Here we go again.

STEP 3 THIS MORNING:

So this morning it was getting fixed, end of story. No if's, no buts I was gonna fix it if I had to rewire the house.

Since I was going to fix the issue once and for all, I thought it would be a good time to test some of these theories about the wiring speeding up your internet. So off I went to test my connection on http://www.speedtest.net/ and here are the results on my rubbish ADSL line (average of 5 tests).

Download: 5.18mb

Upload: 0.25mb

Now for those of you who are not so sure on these figures, or even some who think you are the main thing that bothers me is the upload speed. Getting 5mb download is all well and good and perfectly suitable for what I want, however the upload is abismal. Basically you get nothing from the internet unless you request it, and to request it you need to upload a certain amount of the information to the server you are requesting it from. So if I'm using a torrent which does and upload/download then my internet speed grinds to a slow halt.

Off to B&Q for my rewiring now. I have now decided that the only thing that can be causing this is the actual master BT socket in my house, and therefore Im replacing it. I went out and bought 3 items.

• A new master socket with inbuilt ADSL filter and outputs for my router and my telephone

• A tool for wiring this

• A high speed data cable to go from my phoneline to the modem/router

Now bare in mind that this cost me only just over £20 and took me around an hour from setting off out the door to having it installed ready to test.

New results:

DOWNLOAD: 5.64mb

UPLOAD: 0.74mb

So basically I've gained half a meg both ways for the sake of £20 and an hour, and also got rid of my offline issues. So thought I would pass on this info for anyone else to has read bits about cabling here and there and wondered "does it really work" .. Well yeah actually it does. :)

i am happy with what i am getting with download and upload, but what is going my head in is my ping of 526ms !!! :angry:

i have tried replacing the micro filter, no luck, i tested my master socket all is fine, so i dont know what is causing it may be my router...........

@Marc - Yeah routers can be a big factor. Sky are annoying because you can only use their routers. Fotunatly the routers they use are actually pretty good. If your after a decent one you wanna be looking at one of the high end netgears or a cisco, preferably the latter.