I'm amazed at the speed they learn.

Ice is just over 10 weeks now, we've had him for 3 weeks, his toilet training has come along very well, he's learnt sit, down, paw, off (to an extent on that onebiggrin.gif), he responds to his name and today he's been learning stay while been tempted with some juicy chunks of chicken and amazed me with his patience, we even managed to back right out of the kitchen for a second or two without him movingbiggrin.gif I think he enjoys the big praise and treats, it amazes me a pup of his age has that level of intelligence.

At feeding time he automatically sits and gives you his paw. It can't stay this easy can it? after all the reasearch i did i expected the worst, when does the rebellious stage start and he stops listeningbiggrin.gif

I wish my kids listened as well as he doestongue.gif

Its amazing isn't it mine i snot lot older thans urs 14 weeks an thethings she knows is fantastic im waiting for the stage where although they know what to do they become stubborn an dont want to do it an replace it with verbal abuse lol

At this age he's really enjoying learning new things, the mental stimulation and as you said the heaps of praise.

At about a year they figure they've learned it all and will then switch on and off the ability to do as you ask dependant on the quality of the reward being offered.biggrin.gif

it IS amazing. Smokey understands so much (granted he doesn't always listen) and i'm positive if i spent a little more time with him he can learn even more. currently i'm trying to teach him to growl on command but it's difficult to teach something that isn't physical (for example, i taught Smokey to roll over by physically rolling him over). but once they understand which takes a few tries he is set for life.......

don't worry about the rebellious phase. it's actually very charming to have a dog that talks back and yet still has that guilty look on his face.

gorgeous Ice you got there btw. just wanna smother him with hugs and kisses.

It is amazing, i've been around dogs most of my life, not huskies but various other breeds and never been this impressed, i'm not worried about him being rebellious, i prepared myself for the worlds most stubborn,ignorant, loud and distructive dog, part of me is looking forward to the challengebiggrin.gif

I'll probably regret saying that. :)

It is amazing, i've been around dogs most of my life, not huskies but various other breeds and never been this impressed, i'm not worried about him being rebellious, i prepared myself for the worlds most stubborn,ignorant, loud and distructive dog, part of me is looking forward to the challengebiggrin.gif

I'll probably regret saying that. :)

Oh yes you are soooo going to regret saying that laugh.gif

My boys both listen to me to a degree but if marc asks them to do something 9 / 10 they have selective hearing rolleyes.gif

I find they learn very quickly also. Rex is now 5 years old and I'm gonna be 18 soon, so I was around 12 almost 13 when we got him. My brother stopped paying attention to him within the first week, and my parents had a house for him to go to a new home. I however disagreed with this, and decided that I would do everything in my power to make sure he stayed with me. I started walking him, playing with him, feeding him, cleaning up after him, and most importantly training him. My parents saw the initiative I had taken and decided to keep him, on one condition, one that I agreed with totally and wouldn't want changed for the world, Rex would be fully my responsability, he would be MY dog. And from that moment on he was. In having to care for him, he taught me so much, and I don't think I would be who I am today if not for him. He kept me going no matter how tough life got... And I could never repay him for that.

I taught him all the basic stuff when he was pup, stay, sit, down, come. And then added stuff, go to your dish, go to the window, go get your toy, etc...

And you know that saying ''You can't teach an old dog new tricks'' well me and Rex would beg to differ as I just a couple weeks ago began training hand signals, sit, down, stay, come...Its very fun. I'm also training him ''go right'' and ''go left''.

I think hand signals is a must for all dogs, especially huskies, as in my opinion huskies seem to have a very short attention span, so if they're not looking at you, they're not paying attention to you. And if they're not paying attention then they're not gonna learn. With hand signals, it forces the dog to pay very close attention to you, they have to watch your every move to know what you want of them.

I taught him all the basic stuff when he was pup, stay, sit, down, come. And then added stuff, go to your dish, go to the window, go get your toy, etc...

And you know that saying ''You can't teach an old dog new tricks'' well me and Rex would beg to differ as I just a couple weeks ago began training hand signals, sit, down, stay, come...Its very fun. I'm also training him ''go right'' and ''go left''.

I think hand signals is a must for all dogs, especially huskies, as in my opinion huskies seem to have a very short attention span, so if they're not looking at you, they're not paying attention to you. And if they're not paying attention then they're not gonna learn. With hand signals, it forces the dog to pay very close attention to you, they have to watch your every move to know what you want of them.

this may be a challenge for me. teach my dog modified sign language! imagine that! me being deaf and having the dog respond to sign language - that would certainly turn some heads! :D

Ozzy was a quick learner, but was just as quick to discard whatever he learned just because he can. He has definitely started the rebellious stage, ignoring us, talking back like a teenager and just generally pushing to see how far he can go. We are thinking of changing his name to James as in James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause. But on the plus side, he is not destructive at all and he loves cuddles and kisses, so I am quite willing to put up with his antics.

Micah on the other hand is an angel - she is quick to learn and is always excited about learning something new, BUT she is a bit younger than Ozzy.