Lead walking training diary

nice to have ppl say it when ur out on a walk tho ill bet

yeah it is nice as it makes it worth while. I can bet as well as your doing, you will soon be getting flooded with compliments :D

Keep up the good work, here's a big smiley to keep you positive!

[ATTACH]789.IPB[/ATTACH]

post-44-13585941978343_thumb.jpg

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a compliment too from him :D He said Gizmo looked very well behaved and he had a Husky a few years ago and said Gizmo is loads better behaved than his was and his went to proper training school! That made Sunday seem like it never happened, which was nice.

Wow, what a great compliment! It just goes to show how much effort you have put into them :D

Date: Tuesday 17th February

What a lovely day! Took Gizmo out for about 30mins in the morning (as Jamie took Marley and Bandit out) and no pulling what so ever :D:):D:) never met anyone else so no distractions around to tempt him to pull. Took him out for about 45 mins in evening before we went out, and Gizmo only pulled maybe 2-3 times as it was a little windy so there was rubbish and leaves flying around and if one swept accross in front of him it would distract his mind and he would pull towards it but soon got back on track when I changed direction.

www.gentleleader.co.uk/

Sorry it took me so long 2 reply Amy

Thanks, will keep this in mind. I think that with things going as they are I won't buy one yet as would like to get them walking nicely with just a lead and collar

Wow, what a great compliment! It just goes to show how much effort you have put into them :D

It certainly makes it worth while and you can those bad days just disappear!

:( i still wish ppl wud compliment me :( lol blaze is doin rly well aswell lmao will update soon just bout 2 take him out agen

Maybe I should sneak up to your way one day and act as a normal passer by and give you a big compliment, will do it before the meet up though so wont know its me!

Realised aint updated this for a while.

Date: Friday 20th February

Had a fab walk, Gizmo was excellant! Was using small pieces of cheese as treats today as didin't have anything else smelly enough to use. Wasn't too sure how Gizmo would react to having cheese as he hasn't had it before but I let him try some before I took him out and he really liked it and tried to pinch the rest which I had cut up, little monkey! Im guessing Gizmo could smell the cheese in my pocket as he stayed on a loose leash the whole walk :D

I kept myself feeling positive and confident the whole walk which I guess helped as well. Walk went very well, got loads of belly rubs when he got home too!

Realised aint updated this for a while.

Date: Friday 20th February

Had a fab walk, Gizmo was excellant! Was using small pieces of cheese as treats today as didin't have anything else smelly enough to use. Wasn't too sure how Gizmo would react to having cheese as he hasn't had it before but I let him try some before I took him out and he really liked it and tried to pinch the rest which I had cut up, little monkey! Im guessing Gizmo could smell the cheese in my pocket as he stayed on a loose leash the whole walk :D

I kept myself feeling positive and confident the whole walk which I guess helped as well. Walk went very well, got loads of belly rubs when he got home too!

SW,

Sounds like you are doing really well with the walking work - Well Done:icon14:

When we first got Sky she was like a metal detector on a lead,swinging from side to side,while Peiper plodded along looking at her like she was from another planet !

We have got Sky to the point now where she is almost walking to heel,it has been hard work & my aching arms and shoulders are a result !

But it is well worth the effort and most of the way back from our walks now they walk either side of me in a nice calm manner - on Friday morning we passed house where they are usually distracted by the owners cat sitting watching them - this time though they looked and got straight back on with the walk..

Keep plugging away - it is well worth your investment of time and effort now for many years of happy walking in the future ;)

• 2 weeks later...

very weired

I know I aint been updating this for a while but have been sticking to it and they had less pulling every time

I don't know if this sounds normal or not but I went out last night with Gizmo and had hardly any pulling at all which is what I was hoping for! The problem is, when he didn't pull it didn't feel like my boys anymore :( I know I should be happy that I had no pulling but I was actually crying last night! I felt like I had broken their spirit and didnt enjoy it!

Im now wondering if I should carry on with the training or not as it just didnt feel right when there was no pulling.

I know I aint been updating this for a while but have been sticking to it and they had less pulling every time

I don't know if this sounds normal or not but I went out last night with Gizmo and had hardly any pulling at all which is what I was hoping for! The problem is, when he didn't pull it didn't feel like my boys anymore :( I know I should be happy that I had no pulling but I was actually crying last night! I felt like I had broken their spirit and didnt enjoy it!

Im now wondering if I should carry on with the training or not as it just didnt feel right when there was no pulling.

Awww SW you silly duffer :) Sorry to hear you are feeling so down! :(

You haven't broken their spirits at all - before you started teaching them to walk on a loose leash you inadvertently taught them to pull, by allowing them to think they get where they want to go by pulling. The only thing that has changed is that you have taught them that the only way they get where they want to go is by walking nicely on the leash, and that they get rewards for doing so.

Both of my dogs walk nicely on a loose leash, but when I put my walking shoes on and go to the lead box they still jump around excitedly like total nutters! They still love their walks and get as much enjoyment out of them as they did before they learned their "manners". In fact I would say it is even more enjoyable, because I'm not getting my arm pulled out of my socket and the dogs aren't half choking themselves by pulling on the leash so much!

It is no different to teaching your dog to sit, stay, down or any other command we teach our dogs :) All loose leash walking is, is teaching your dog a learned behaviour and getting them to have a bit more awareness of the person on the end of the leash, LOL :)