Lead walking training diary

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

ok been a LONG time since ive updated this.

Gizmo has calmed down so much on his walks :) he still pulls when we go out as a group with Marley and Bandit but if we go out on our own he is brilliant! He no longer growls at other dogs either and I feel much more confident walking him now. I have a video on my phone and camera but cant upload it onto mums computer as she dont have a sd card slot and i haven't got the lead for camera. When upload it will put it on here :D

Going to start working on his prey drive and concentration on me now whilst teaching him direction commands whilst on walks.

Amy,

Well Done & Way to Go on getting those walking manners sorted !

If your experience is anything like mine with Sky,you'll be reaching that point where it becomes an absolute pleasure to walk them,and you find yourself looking forward to it...

Peiper and Sky are getting so many nice comments about their looks and manners now,despite the fact that Peiper is shedding (Furminator is on it's way.. !).We encoutered an off- lead Standard Poodle the other day who was friendly but a real pain in following us,but the girls were really laid back and just ignored him in the end.

I'm feeling confident enough now to start Bikejoring - The bike is here and I'm just waiting on the harnesses/lines and antenna so we can get cracking - if I'd not built up the confidence in their walking manners I wouldn't have been able to follow the inspiiration from Ann to go Bikejoring... :)

Keep on Keepin On as they say !

All the Best,

Kevin & Pack

Amy,

Well Done & Way to Go on getting those walking manners sorted !

If your experience is anything like mine with Sky,you'll be reaching that point where it becomes an absolute pleasure to walk them,and you find yourself looking forward to it...

Peiper and Sky are getting so many nice comments about their looks and manners now,despite the fact that Peiper is shedding (Furminator is on it's way.. !).We encoutered an off- lead Standard Poodle the other day who was friendly but a real pain in following us,but the girls were really laid back and just ignored him in the end.

thanks kevin :) my lot are blowing at the moment too - we no longer have a carpet as its covered in dog hair within minutes of hoovering it all up, lol

I'm feeling confident enough now to start Bikejoring - The bike is here and I'm just waiting on the harnesses/lines and antenna so we can get cracking - if I'd not built up the confidence in their walking manners I wouldn't have been able to follow the inspiiration from Ann to go Bikejoring... :)

Keep on Keepin On as they say !

All the Best,

Kevin & Pack

that be cool, im just starting teaching them direction commands and the very essential "stop" command. To help with training we are looking at getting the bike attachment so me and jamie can take out on the bikes around new forest, etc. Maybe we could both arrange to meet up together and all go as a group sometime for fun :D

Amy - Boy do we know that feeling at the moment - Peiper has gone from full Wolfy Winter coat to the "mangy wolf" look in just a week,she can be laying on the floor then get up and it looks like she left half of her coat behind :eek:

Sky on the other hand is immaculate and her coat is really silky thanks to the BARF diet and the weekly pilchards and egg,which is like curry night for them :)

Great idea !

Def. get the bike antenna and give it a try,we will meet you at the New Forest or something and compare notes !

Freya is still looking forward to meeting you Jamie and the boys,so just let us know a godd date for you :)

All The Best,

Kevin & Pack :bullseye:

Amy - Boy do we know that feeling at the moment - Peiper has gone from full Wolfy Winter coat to the "mangy wolf" look in just a week,she can be laying on the floor then get up and it looks like she left half of her coat behind :eek:

Sky on the other hand is immaculate and her coat is really silky thanks to the BARF diet and the weekly pilchards and egg,which is like curry night for them :)

Great idea !

Def. get the bike antenna and give it a try,we will meet you at the New Forest or something and compare notes !

Freya is still looking forward to meeting you Jamie and the boys,so just let us know a godd date for you :)

All The Best,

Kevin & Pack :bullseye:

where did you get your bike antenna from?

we may be getting a few weeks off soon so will send you a text when we will be there :D

EXCELLENT WELL DONE! give gizmo big husky hugs! blaze ent that good yet! lmao looks like ive got sum competition lmao well done amy thats excellent

will give him big hugs from you :D

He still has a way to go as need to build on his concentration when in a group as he pulls alot if we are in a group.

Wow, Amy, you should be very proud!

A word of caution: I have a friend who's dog was a lazy old sheep dog but took off suddenly after a rabbit and she fell when he suddenly pulled her over!

Four surgeries later and she has to wear a hinged brace on her knee forever! It's a very good thing to have control and be prepared for surprises! Rich laughs at me when I say "Tala slow" as I walk down a hill, she looks at me like I am a doddering old lady but she is very gentle and waits.

Nice One Amy :)

You've done really well there and Gizmo looks a real credit to all your hard work !

On the Bike Antenna purchase I've taken Anne's advice ( Thanks Anne !) and ordered from the SledDog Shop in Belgium.

The antenna alone is 45 Euros,but I've gone for the two dog kit here:

http://www.sleddogshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_47&products_id=270

As the harnesses look to connect dog-end in a better place than our current Hurtta ones do.

I took my first (solo) ride on the bike yesterday to get used to it,if the weather improves over the next couple of days we will try our first Bikejoring...

Def. send us a text when you next plan to go to the New Forest.Denise is talking about going to the Thruxton Husky Fun Day ( Not sure when it is tho,Denise is out at the mo.) so maybe we will see you there too ?

All The Best,

Kevin & Pack