Bolting Huskies

We had a bit of a trauma this morning when Leon (one of the twins) bolted through an open gate after pushing past me after hubby went to work when I went to put something in the outside bin. The twins pushed through together but when called Taiya came back in but Leon legged it - to my absolute horror!!!!! I phoned Bes and he said he would turn round and come straight home. I shut the gate and let Ollie and Taiya in the garden so that she could 'sing' her distress so that Leon could hear her and hopefully return. I 'popped' back inside the house to get his collar and lead so when Bes got home he could straight out to look whilst i waited home to see if 'by any chance' he would return home by himself ..... I long shot I know! BUT, Oh my GOD, I swear 2 minutes before Bes got home (after being missing for a whole and very long 15 minutes!!!!!!!!) who came trotting home but Leon ..... all by himself .... and seem VERY pleased to be home ..... skipped in ... got on the settee and looked very satisfied with his little self - all I could do was praise him that he had returned to us and all was well.

Did anyone else's return by themselves? The things I've read suggest that they always 'just keep on running'. to be honest, we did have another incident a few weeks ago when Taiya had had enough of the walk, she slipped her collar and ran away, Bes let Leon lead to find her only for him to lead him home whilst there again she was waiting at the gate! Is this normal?

I knew it! If they're brought up as 'a pair' you have to keep them as a pair - they don't do well to separate - I've seen pairs needing homes and people with the 'best intentions' saying they would have one or the other but it's just not right - they should stay togethersad.gif

Glad to hear he came back!

Mines got out a few times... bloomin window cleaner not shutting the gate properly!

Anyway, I always keep a tin of cheepo tinned dog food in the cupboard... I open it up and she smells the stuff from miles away and usually comes running back. I always praise her for coming back and then give her a treat (the stinky dog food never gets eaten).

When Silver was a year old he took off after a deer. I searched our regular trails, stomping grounds, and all of the cottages around the lake, but no luck. When it finally got dark I packed it in since it's impossible to search a forest at night. One of my neighbors (who has hunting dogs) suggested that I leave my jacket at the spot where he took off, so I did. Guess who was sleeping on my jacket that next morning when I went back to check......so relieved.

Anyway, I went through a lot of such scenerios from about 6 months old to 1.5 years and he's always come back to the spot he left me at. Most of the time it was only for 15 minutes or so, and the majority of time he was close by, but not coming back because he found food or something else of value. If I can offer any advice..don't leave the area where you saw your dog last. Have someone else search, but stay where you are. If you must leave then put down an article of clothing that has your scent on it and return frequently to check the area. If it happens in the city then you better start praying, but I would imagine they will following the scent of the closest dogs in the area, so check neighboring yards who have dogs or cats.

yup smokey has slipped from me 3 times. once i dropped his lead while on a not so great attempt at roller blading with him but he ended up going poo so i staggered over to him and grabbed his lead. the second time he slipped his harness and ran into the street :o very scary. i usually keep treats in my pockets and when i called him he saw me stick my hand in my pocket so ran back. the 3rd time he bolted through the gate but OMG he came running back in soon as i yelled his name.

you are lucky...hope things stay that way for ya!

When we first got Marley and Bandit they got out of the garden once and into next doors garden via a hole in the hedge. Bandit came back through when we called him but Marley didnt so I went to see if our neighbour was in and as I ran around I see a little black furball at the gate of our back garden and there he was wanting to come back in.

Bella bolted out one day and ran down the street! I called her name, she came shaking her bottom, with a huge grin on her face, then as soon as she was 2ft away, she did it again. and this happened for 4times. finally, i literally had to pounce on her for her to stop. then carried her up a steep hill for a mile...haha. that was a fun morning! But at least she came back and didnt keep running :lol:

Bella bolted out one day and ran down the street! I called her name, she came shaking her bottom, with a huge grin on her face, then as soon as she was 2ft away, she did it again. and this happened for 4times. finally, i literally had to pounce on her for her to stop. then carried her up a steep hill for a mile...haha. that was a fun morning! But at least she came back and didnt keep running :lol:

sounds like you did a great job at keeping fit then

the few times mine have gotten away, I dont think there's any chance they woulda come back. Luckily they run up to the first people they find, and luckily they have called me each time. Once they were several miles away before I got the call. Then I get there and they are sitting on this guys deck next to him just chillin like nothing happend. I got mine chipped for extra peace of mind

Mickey has slipped his harness several times (new one defo needed on order). Vince actually had to rugby tackle him the other night after an escape chasing a scent of a dog on heat i reckon, and i had to catch him from the back garden of a house down the street - he had jumped the fence into the garden and a little old man was kind of enough to inform me from his window there was a dog in his yard. Goodness knows I worry about him running into the road as he never comes when he is called.

:o:o:o