cani-cross

cani-cross is of course racing or running with dogs and because siberians are top runners then they are the number one choice.i have been running and racing in their events over the last few years and would like to know if any members race or would like to start training for the season that starts around september.i run with two sibes and that is the hardest class but it can be done with one dog if you are fairly fit,all types of dogs race and not all of the runners are serious about winning, you can check out the site at cani-cross.co.uk for info,i have posted a few photos in the gallery of me training on a four mile route that is more than enough for the dogs at this time of year and the temp needs to be 15c or below,let me know if there is any interest, i am based in warrington,cheshire.

post-1707-13585952605109_thumb.jpg

Hey David, my husband is a marathon runner and has also done his share of Ultra marathons, so is very fit, he took Ozzy out for a short run the other day and came home absolutely exhausted - hubby was exhausted not Ozzy smile.gif

Oh, and I have a really dumb question. Since we don't really have the sport here (at least not anywhere near me ... yet), all I have learned about canicross, skijoring, and bikejoring, I have learned through reading. Which means I do not know how to pronounce any of them.

Is it can-i-cross (rhymes with "fanny") or CANE-i-cross (rhymes with "rainy")? How about the others?

Thanks in advance! smile.gif

the cani-x races are set off in a time trial format with a 30 second intervals between each runner and distances are around 5k-ish,this may not be a great distance but if you want to win then it is absolutely flat out and can be 5 min mile pace at the start.the best advice is to start off gradualy by running for a few minutes with your dog and walking a few minutes and then increasing the time spent running with less walking over the weeks of training.when you can run without stopping for 5 miles then you are ready for anything,i have been running with my two siberians for 8 years and it can be great fun and the dogs love it especialy in winter because sibes are born to run.

• 2 weeks later...

We're starting training tomorrow, Me with Kiana, Sonia with Thor and Alex is going to run with Ozzy.

I'm not sure if we'll get to a standard of fitness where we can compete, but we're just going to start for fun. I've never been a fan of running unless it was after a size 5 football, it's more for the dogs than us.

I hope the sport catches on here at some point -- the time trial format makes the most sense.

Here in my part of the USA, all of the dog "races" are really just 5Ks where they let you bring your dog. Everybody else I see just runs with their dog trotting beside them -- I'm the only one I've seen working as a team with my dog who is pulling. All of the races have a mass start, and it's crazy with all the dogs and leashes everwhere. If I don't start out at the front of the pack, it's a nightmare trying to hold Dakota back while trying to find a safe clear area in which to run. At our last race, we broke the carabiner on my waistbelt trying to hold back and find a safe place to run -- so he got loose from me, another runner caught him,then I stopped with him and jury-rigged our attachment so we could continue (and we still got 3rd place dog ...).

Unless I can find some canicross-specific races near me, I will probably just stop taking Dakota to the races here. People look at us funny, anyway -- they all stand around before the race with their patient, quiet dogs while Dakota sings and leaps and spins at the end of his line, waiting to RUN. :lol:

a very important bit of advice is that the strain or pull on your waist harness must not be in the arch of the lower back and must be about halfway down your bum almost so it feels too low,don`t let your dog or dogs pull on your spine or an injury will result,also if your dog is a good puller the lead or line must be just long enough for good efficiency and always be aware of any sudden stops,i have found that if someone can cycle in front (not too close) that this is good motivation for the dog and most importantly be careful not to do too much when the weather is warm because running in a fur coat is stressful for your dog.you don`t have to be super fit to compete and i would say that in the canix uk races very few are hardcore runners,because i live in the north of the uk and nearly all of the races are in the south i have only competed in two events,i placed second in the first one at sherwood forest and placed first a month later at pembrey forest,south wales in the extreme two dog class,i will be doing a lot more events in the 2010/11 season.

We're starting training tomorrow, Me with Kiana, Sonia with Thor and Alex is going to run with Ozzy.

I'm not sure if we'll get to a standard of fitness where we can compete, but we're just going to start for fun. I've never been a fan of running unless it was after a size 5 football, it's more for the dogs than us.

ohhh good luck Steve, Sonia and Alex! :up:

Good advice, David, keep it coming!

We are in full-on summer here, so no more running for us for at least 3 more months.

I just got in the mail the CaniX UK Handbook 3. I'm finding lots of good information in it for beginners like me getting started.

i started running with my two siberians at five months old taking it easy at first and even though i was a runner i found it hard,now here i am seven years later and i have run almost everyday with them and there have been no injuries or illnesses,common sense and care will get you through and eventualy you will find what works the best for both you and your dog(s),siberian huskies are born to run and work and that is why they get bored so easily and a tired husky is a very relaxed one after exercise.also try to run off road on the trails if possible to protect the foot pads.