Trusting your dog off leash

I was talking to my friend who allows her pug and their pomeranian off leash when we go to the beach. There's in general not to many people when we go and not crowded at all. She thinks I can trust Foxy off leash if we tried. She's ran off three times but has yielded to my commands more or less when she had. The first day we had her she had actually slipped off her collar and ran off to our apartment when we had been out for a walk. The funny part is we looked for her for a couple hours and came back and she was sitting on our door step blink.gif; not that I'm complaining lol. So my question is how does one get up the nerve to try your dog off leash and for the most part where is the best place to attempt it?

To be honest, I'd not let any of my two off the leash UNLESS they where in a fenced area.

I wouldn't risk their lives and others if something where to happen!

I let them off the leash at the fenced dog park all the time and they always come when called but it doesn't mean i'd try it out say.. at an unfenced park, we have way to many main roads and traffic here, So much for where i live being the 'country'

:)

i let embry off leash at the dog park parking lot because he runs straight to the gate and sits there till i open it. i also let him off leash when we are in the drive way because most of them time he goes straight to the door. but i don't do it often because embry rarely comes when called because there's too many distractions around him

That's my big issue Holly even though I would like to I would rather play it safe. My biggest thing is I'd love to take Foxy out in the woods and have her off leash I'm pretty sure she'd come to me she listens to me most of the time but I'd really rather be safe.

Guest Spider_Crazy_Removed

At puppy training class we did a session of off lead work but the hall is enclosed, I think only one done heal but us who tried <inc me> found the dog liked everything else but me and I was trying to make it as exciting as possible but still he waned to make friends with other dogs. We use a lunge leash so wenwe take him out <beach ect> he can run free to the end of 9ft, also allow recall work; mum held him and I went to the end and called him to me and wen he comes I tell him sit.... didnt work lol

Peter x

At puppy training class we did a session of off lead work but the hall is enclosed, I think only one done heal but us who tried <inc me> found the dog liked everything else but me and I was trying to make it as exciting as possible but still he waned to make friends with other dogs. We use a lunge leash so wenwe take him out <beach ect> he can run free to the end of 9ft, also allow recall work; mum held him and I went to the end and called him to me and wen he comes I tell him sit.... didnt work lol

Peter x

lol at puppy class embry was the same way with recalls. i'd call him, he'd totter over (unlike every other dog that ran straight for their owner) and then walk right past me and would refuse to sit unless i helped him, so embarrassing laugh.gif

What breed is Foxy? Shes not a husky is she? Look into her breeds background what were they bred to do? Huskies are bred to ignor commands they dont think a reasonable and think independantly enough to keep the team safe... Where as collies are bred to work side by side with man taking every command given without question. If foxy is a more bidable breed then work on her training with a long lead first get her recall to a point where you feel comfortable letting her off and then try recall without a lead somewhere safe like in your garden, if she does it every time then you know your safe to let her off on the beach! :)

I don't understand why people let their dogs off leash without having trained a reliable recall.

It's not about "getting up the nerve". I can work my dog off leash because I know I have put the hard work in and I have proofed her extensively and I already KNOW she is reliable. It's not about guess work or thinking "hopefully this time she won't run off" or "hopefully this time she will come when she's called". If you haven't TRAINED your dog to recall under various distractions why would you take the chance??

i wud never let my sibes off leash - i do let my staffy x tho - and it took a good few years after having him b4 i knew i cud trust him - we walk the same route every single walk (we sumtimes change it but not often) and he know his way - if i say come on bingo home - he will run home hes a great boy offlead - his recall is good tho not 100% i still keep my eye out for other dogs and cats but other than that hes great :D i had him for about 2 years b4 i decided 2 let him off much 2 the disaprovel ov other people - cuz he looked 'scary' apparently lol - he got out once the gate was open didnt realise he had got out untill i looked out the window and he was sitting on the front door step bless him lol

tho i wud say if u dont feel safe enuf in urself and dont trust ur dog THAT much then dont risk it just get a long lead instead

I hardly have my girls on lead unless on roads, however they are not huskys. ones a Rotti and ones a Greyhound. They have perfect recall and if they didn't I would not let them off. I do let Merlin off lead but I choose where. I prefere open areas well away from roads and the beach. I am well aware that huskies as a breed are prone to running off but merlin has a reliable recall so in select areas he can go off lead.

If you want to teach recall how about joining some training classes? I would normally start standing facing the dog with a treat held at your knees and walk backwards saying comecomecome. The dog should follow you. Once they do this you can look at putting the dog on a 50ft line and practicing recall (call dog to you and give treat every time it comes over) eventually you'll want to start leting of in secure areas that are fenced in but it can take a long time to get a reliable recall and I would never let any dog off the lead if you wern't sure it would respond to you.

Thank you very much to everyone whose responded. It's given me a lot to think about and alot to weigh against what I know about my girl lol. Foxy is a Corgi/Pomeranian mix and she recalls at the dog park, insanely HUGE park, 100% never has she ignored me. She's not that easily distracted and when we go to our little dog park she stays by mom and doesn't really go out until a dog comes close. She's not to fond of wondering to far from me lol. She does love to run though her and Kiana give each other great runs for their money lol and are a wonderful pair to wear each other out. She's got the most interesting personality inside she is very much a pom with her barking at everything that moves but outside she's so much more a corgi very herd oriented (us being her herd lol) and she LOVES the words and hiking. That's why I was wondering how to go about this but you all have given excellent advice and firmed up my decision to start out with a long lead and see what comes of it ^_^ Thanks guys I don't know how I would get along without you lol.

• 2 months later...

I was talking to my friend who allows her pug and their pomeranian off leash when we go to the beach. There's in general not to many people when we go and not crowded at all. She thinks I can trust Foxy off leash if we tried. She's ran off three times but has yielded to my commands more or less when she had. The first day we had her she had actually slipped off her collar and ran off to our apartment when we had been out for a walk. The funny part is we looked for her for a couple hours and came back and she was sitting on our door step blink.gif; not that I'm complaining lol. So my question is how does one get up the nerve to try your dog off leash and for the most part where is the best place to attempt it?

We let our dogs off leash one time, and one of them - the male one - got lost.

We searched for several hours without any luck. We're trying to get back home and call the police.

As we approaching home, we hear dog barking, and we noticed that our lost dog is at the front door, calling for someone to open the door for him. So he actually beat us home!

Anyway, I think you should not let your husky off leash. It's too dangerous and you could risk losing her.

I would NEVEr let a Siberian off-lead. Any other breed maybe- but I've been too scared from Loki running off that it's just an automatic reaction "You're dog is offleash! They're going to run away!" and then I forget other breeds are generally good offlead. (I mean, aside from the Klee Kai and Malamute and occasional other breed.)