Going toilet in the crate

Ok so i go downstairs this morning and let my babies out to go to the toilet. They stay in their crates overnight as we are in a temporary house situation (don't ask!).

Aiyana is now 15 weeks and she is getting on well with her toilet trainig with of course the odd accident. So i let her out & watch her have a number 1 & 2 so pleased she has managed to hold it overnight smile.gif

Then they come back inside & I feed them in their crates while i go upstairs and get ready for work. By the time i come back downstairs, approx half hr later, she has eaten her breakfast and done a number 2 in her cage plus what looked like a little wee ohmy.gif So I then have to rush to clean it up before i go to work.

Am i doing something wrong? huh.gif She is in a small enough crate & is let out on a regular basis as well as walked & let out last thing at night. When she goes toilet outside i always praise her.

I can see how you would have thought you were safe for awhile, seeing how she went first thing. Maybe she just really had to go and couldn't hold it. Eating usually stimulates the GI tract and puppies/dogs often poo right after eating. Do you normally have her wait 30 minutes in her crate after she eats? You might give her the opportunity to go a few minutes after she eats then put her back in the crate while you get ready. Just a thought.

rolleyes.gif

..but she shouldn't be thinking of any other room as an OK place to potty either.

I feed mine in her crate. If I even walk towards the dog food she tears off to her crate.

Dogs try to keep the area they eat and sleep in clean so usually don't relieve themselves near their food. I think she just really

had to go and couldn't hold it, especially if this is something new.

Here's Zoya's routine, since she was about 4 months old. Gets up at 6:15 am. Goes outside and does #1 and #2. Back in the house at 6:30 am. Drinks a bit of water. At 6:45 am she eats breakfast. By 7:15 am, she is outside again and does #2. At 7:45 am she comes back in and goes to her 5 x 10 kennel off the laundry room.

I have found that about 20 to 30 minutes after eating the first meal of the day, there's a good chance for Zoya to go #2, even though she did that first thing. I don't think it's so much that you are feeding her in the crate. If you confined her to a room, given the same time frames, she'd probably go #2 in that room. I think if you take her out again, say at fifteen minutes past her eating, for ten minutes or so, you'll find that she does #2 again, only this time it will be outside. Good luck.

mazz added to your reps!!!!

great advice, we take koda and echo out 30 mins after eating to do 'business'

mine are walked at 4.30 then 7 ish and then every 3 hours or so if one of us is off work, if not my mums back door is opn and she walks them evry 3 hours

its getting a routine and sticking to it

kelly

..but she shouldn't be thinking of any other room as an OK place to potty either.

I feed mine in her crate. If I even walk towards the dog food she tears off to her crate.

Dogs try to keep the area they eat and sleep in clean so usually don't relieve themselves near their food. I think she just really

had to go and couldn't hold it, especially if this is something new.

Think your missing the point I was trying to make about feeding them in the crate !!!!!!!!

Puppies uselly toilet as soon as they have eatten so if your feeding them in a locked crate what do you expect to happen ?

The other thing the strikes a cord with this is how would you like to eat all your meals in your bedroom ohmy.gif

Don't feed them in the crate ( as already said ten times)

dogs like there crate. It's a safe zone for them. They know when they are inside a cage that they can just chill and sleep. As they get older they will just walk in without you telling them too when they are ready to sleep.

I took tighs cage away from him a few months ago so now he spends alot of time under the coffee table. Bc he thinks it's a safe place to sleep.