Need help with "Heel"

I have never had much trouble with getting my dogs to heel before but Tank is giving me a bit of trouble.

This is the one skill he is just not doing for me and I can tell you honestly that if we dont get this down

he will likely make me an armless mom, lmao.

I have tried everything i know, but nothing has worked for very long. Hes good for a few minutes of every

walk then bam some dog and owner pass by and he goes rotten and starts pulling again.

Any creative or very successful ideas to help get him Heeling so i can keep my arms??

Please any advice is welcome. :)

How is he motivated Erika? Is he a foodie or does he have a fav toy you could maybe keep specially for walks to use to get his attention back on you when the other dog or whatever walks past? I know its pretty obvious and you've probaly tried it but thats all I can think of? combine that with a focus comand like "Look" or "Watch" and then again when the distraction happens you say your focus word and reward the focus on you with his toy or treat.

I had to take care of strong puller the other day but it was only for the day so didnt really have time to work with him.. so every time he got distracted by another dog and started to pull me towards it Id just shout his name in a loud happy voice and run the other way, he followed me every time so then Id just jog a little way away clear of the other dog and then slow down again, this worked quiet well just for the day.

Hope any of that helps! biggrin.gif

A quick change of directions works well. As soon as they start to get in front of you do a quick turn. Make the action quick with a firm tug on the lead to ensure the dog follows, say 'heel' at the same time as this action. This needs to be consistent when walking Tank and must be done every time he gets in front,trys to pull or gets fixated on other dogs.

Before long he will be paying more attention to you as to what directions you are walking in.

It is also a good idea to make him sit and wait before you go off for your walk and when you cross roads to get him used to listening to you.

Hope this helps smile.gif

Well I spoze I will just keep with the quick changes of direction, lol. Ive been doing that alot with him. It really looks like I will have to find a way to

shedule time with just me and Tank walking and have someone watch the kids. Quick changes in direction is a bit difficult if the kids are with us.

its times like these that i wish my hubby was here to keep an eye on the kids so I could just go on out on my own to train. Its sooooo much nicer

when I can just say "hey hun Im going walking, lmao!

How old is Tank? What kind of collar or harness are you walking him on? Do you walk him on his own or with your other dog?

Teaching loose leash walking is different to teaching heel. Heel is about teaching the dog to find heel position and getting them to keep 110% focus on you. Loose leash walking is getting the dog to walk on a loose leash.

I agree with others in regards to what you are using to motivate him. I also like to play focus games when I am out and about with the dogs. Here's an example of what I might do with Micha when we are out on a walk;

TCSpr1CMcBE

You can see I have him on a long line in the above vid, I'm not holding on to it. I'm also not worried about him being in what I would call proper heel position but I do want lots of focus from him. I do a lot of work to teach nice focus because whilst I don't expect him to focus on me like that for an entire walk, I do expect him to be able to give me focus when I ask for it. It also helps to teach him that walking with me is more rewarding than pulling.

How old is Tank? What kind of collar or harness are you walking him on? Do you walk him on his own or with your other dog?

Teaching loose leash walking is different to teaching heel. Heel is about teaching the dog to find heel position and getting them to keep 110% focus on you. Loose leash walking is getting the dog to walk on a loose leash.

I agree with others in regards to what you are using to motivate him. I also like to play focus games when I am out and about with the dogs. Here's an example of what I might do with Micha when we are out on a walk;

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=TCSpr1CMcBE

You can see I have him on a long line in the above vid, I'm not holding on to it. I'm also not worried about him being in what I would call proper heel position but I do want lots of focus from him. I do a lot of work to teach nice focus because whilst I don't expect him to focus on me like that for an entire walk, I do expect him to be able to give me focus when I ask for it. It also helps to teach him that walking with me is more rewarding than pulling.

Oh my God, Micha is brilliant, he is a credit to you and your training.

• 2 weeks later...