Excel power

Marc

Thought it might be interesting to see if there are any others on here as geeky as myself when it comes to using Microsoft excel. Thought maybe if there are a few of us with skills in using formulas to their potential it might be worth doing a few short tutorials on functions that you can use in excel that other people can put to use. Think everyone will have used excel at some point for something but most dont have a good knowledge of exactly what they can achieve with it.

hey, i done a huge project on excel for my A level ICT course, it included V lookup and other things, if i can find it i will stick it up on here for you, or once i have finished the exams that are coming up for uni i could do a little tutorial on it for you guys?

Hmmmm, formulas, what kind of formulas you talking about. I use the basic ones, but also:

IF IF(logical_test,value_if_true,value_if_false) - I tend to link several IF formulas into one another, to get the result that im after.

Concatenate CONCATENATE (text1,text2,...)

Conditional formulas

a few others that I cant remember at the moment, as my sheets are at work on the school system.

Using the above formulas, we are able to:

Track the attainment and progress of over 200 children.

Predict where a child should be at a specific point in their education.

Identify those children exceeding/ not achieving their predictions.

Yeah that kinda stuff would be cool .. working toward stuff like below, and maybe even further:

=SUMPRODUCT((VLOOKUP($A1,$Z$1:$Z$25000,3,FALSE)=$K$1:$K$25000)*($C1=$L$1:$L$25000)*(NOW()=$M$1:$M$25000)*($N$1:$N$25000))

which can be used for some pretty cool calculations and although look difficult to people are actually relativly simple for most people once he understand how the formulas are put together. Comes in really handy for working your finances out on spreadsheets, stuff for work etc etc.

It will only work on Word 2000.

Go into Word, Click on Help and About Microsoft Word

Hold down CTRL, Shift and Alt at the same time, whilst doing this, click on the long line which is above the buttons at the bottom.

The splash screen will come up.

Close the help box, the splash screen will stay there.

Click File and Close

You will then be able to click anywhere and the splash screen will stay there.

To get rid of it, just click on the splash screen :D

So when demonstrating, click all AROUND the screen, not the splash screen