New Husky Mama!

Ahuds612

Hello! 🐾 I am new to the site and a new Husky Mama. Our pup turns 5 months old on 12/8. Any tips for raising this wild pup are appreciated! 

I have had a slew of other dogs, mastiff mixes, pure bred rotties and German shepherds, and currently our Husky has a Pitbull Mix older sister. 

I’ve attached a pic of our smiling pup!

28CB584B-D953-4F1E-B25C-CBF22B54ED3C.jpeg

Welcome to the forum to you and your beautiful husky pup.   It is good that you have had a variety of breeds  - but you will still be constantly surprised and outwitted by your husky pup ................. I guarantee it   !

The only real tip I will give you is to ensure your garden and home are completely escape-proof.   Minimum 6ft fencing - and a constant watch for digging near the base of the fencing.      Also nothing near enough to be used as a jumping-off base in order for him (or her) to get over the fence.   They are consummate escape artists  -  this will kick in around 12-18 months old ...................... and they are not known for their recall.   Never let him (her) off lead once approaching adulthood  unless in a totally escape-proof park.

As your pup matures you will find they are not particularly obedient  - they want to know what is in it for them before they do something  and as a senior member here is fond of saying "huskies have 18 muscles in their ears  - and they use each and every one of them to ignore you".

You are now the proud owner of the best dog breed on the planet.      You just need patience  (in abundance), a sense of humour  (you will be laughing a lot),  - and as I mentioned earlier your pup will make you feel stupid on no end of occasions as he/she will constantly outwit you.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, robke said:

A6FE2CA4-EC6A-49C7-8ADE-ED3173DAEE58.jpeg.83f662143083fdd0084c68de9219c0a7.jpeg   to   70990443-D7EA-4927-AE51-E117E338A8DE.png.abca2960dac289628a52e280b1792654.png

Thanks! 

20 hours ago, wolfpup said:

Welcome to the forum to you and your beautiful husky pup.   It is good that you have had a variety of breeds  - but you will still be constantly surprised and outwitted by your husky pup ................. I guarantee it   !

The only real tip I will give you is to ensure your garden and home are completely escape-proof.   Minimum 6ft fencing - and a constant watch for digging near the base of the fencing.      Also nothing near enough to be used as a jumping-off base in order for him (or her) to get over the fence.   They are consummate escape artists  -  this will kick in around 12-18 months old ...................... and they are not known for their recall.   Never let him (her) off lead once approaching adulthood  unless in a totally escape-proof park.

As your pup matures you will find they are not particularly obedient  - they want to know what is in it for them before they do something  and as a senior member here is fond of saying "huskies have 18 muscles in their ears  - and they use each and every one of them to ignore you".

You are now the proud owner of the best dog breed on the planet.      You just need patience  (in abundance), a sense of humour  (you will be laughing a lot),  - and as I mentioned earlier your pup will make you feel stupid on no end of occasions as he/she will constantly outwit you.

Oh he already makes us laugh! He’s a total goof ball. We’ve been trying to train after exercise and it seems pretty good. He learns quickly when he wants to. He must have been held a lot at the rescue we got him from because he thinks he’s a lap dog and loves being carried. I’ve never had a dog who pees more! I don’t think it’s unhealthy, but if water comes in, it’s coming right out!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ashley......I am new here soooo I hope I am replying to the right person re:.  "tips for raising this wild pup"  That person would be Ahuds612 . I have been remiss in socializing my 14 month old FluffButt, Ezra.  Well, this is what the vet said after removing Ezra's pompoms.  😕

Mind you, Ezra was reluctantly dragged out of his  backseat den while both of us were being hollered at!  "Bad dog!; !! This dog needs to be trained not to do this!!! , she hollered. (apparently ZZ tried to nip her) and on and on she ranted while there was obvious fear on Ezra's face!

While calmly lodging my complaint after the removal of said pompoms, the vets unwavering conclusion was that Ezra is shy NOT afraid!  Talk about splitting Husky hairs!!!  AND, he would NOT be scolding that woman!

What I want to say to you is try socializing your beautiful Sibe.  Even though our experience was troubling, I did understand the importance 🤷🏽‍♀️ of socialization.   ☮️

peace fingers.jpg