Cani cross?

I have seen it and it does look fun, If you get into it then you could enter you and Tikanni into rallies! (most local is thetford/brandon)

Also seems the cheapest, as you only need the belt, line and harness (pm me n i'll get you the number for 13.50 harnesses ohmy.gif)

I scooter with kira (should be doing it competitively next season :D) its so much fun! I would get yourself down to brandon next season and talk to some of the people there who do canicross :)

I used to do canicross (never competitively) and it's a great sport and great fun. All you need is a skijor belt, a bungee line and a harness. And oh yeah, one enthusiastic dog and one enthusiastic human!

There is a great (IMO) book called "Ski Spot Run" that I would reccomend. It's mainly about skijoring but it also has a lot of good dryland info. And the skijoring information can be easily applied to canicross or scootering. The same with the book "Skijor With Your Dog."

A

me and running don't mix unsure.gif lol but i would think that you'd need to apply the same training as with scootering / running on a rig. Make sure you have got the commands down well - left / right or gee / haw whichever works best for you - last thing you want is to be trotting along then whoosh you go one way and your dog goes the other blink.gif

ON BY as well is a good one to teach - this means carry on, don't stop leave the bloody leaf / cat alone lol

I'm currently using the "Skijor with your Dog" book to work with Dakota on canicross. There are no canicross events down here, but we run dog-friendly 5ks canicross-style. We are having lots of fun on the local trails; there are many helpful tips in the book for training and conditioning. I hope to meet a "real" canicross team to 1) learn how to pronounce the word (is it CANE-E-cross, CAN-uh-cross, other??) and 2) learn if we're doing it correctly. Water stops and cooling strategies have been our greatest challenge so far. We're still at the early stage with 15-min runs.

I am lucky that a dryland mushing demo is coming to my area, and there's a dryland mushing group that held a race within a day's drive from here, so I'm working on getting connected with them to learn more. Slowly, it looks like dryland mushing and canicross may catch on in areas where we just don't have snow.

Anything I learn, I will pass on!

Good luck!