new to huskies

My mother is unable to work and is going to try to get disability. She has moved in with my husband and I. She brought with her, a cat and her shih tzu. She was going to take her "yard dog" to the pound. that yard dog, being a husky mix (maybe full blooded?) I decided that I would take him and try to make me a family pet.

I have had this dog for 4 hours. He is pacing back and fourth, marking everything including my dogs and water bowls! and he jumps up on you so bad it is like he is trying to climb up your head! I am already feeling a bit frustrated, but I know its not the poor dogs fault. This is the first time he has ever been off of a chain in his 4 years of life.

does anyone have any tips for me? I do not think we are keeping the dog. I would like to get him more adoptable and then send him to a rescue group perhaps. I have experience with dogs, I foster dogs frequently. I have never seen a dog so wild as Gunner (the husky) is!

post-1358-13585948708468_thumb.jpg

post-1358-13585948710932_thumb.jpg

post-1358-13585948721313_thumb.jpg

Hi Amanda and welcome, sounds like you have a full house, he is a lovely looking dog but im not sure what to suggest it must be strange for him to be off the chain after being on it for so long.

We do have a lot of experienced people on here who i hope will be able to help you out, good luck xxxx

hi and welcome to the pack :)

A tired excersised husky is a happy and less destructive one lol I'd go with what David posted up and take him out for a while. If he's been chained up for 4 years he's going to have a lot of problems that would more than likely stop him from being rehomed.

If you could get him past the marking stages and he settles would you be willing to keep him or would you still rehome?

With the pacing, he's probably totally confused and scared and doesnt know how to act. Consistency and patience will be the key. He will settle :)

Thanks! No I cannot keep him. I am going to try my best to keep him for a little while, atleast until I can get him to a breed rescue.

kasaha was found chained up as well...she came home very rowdy..and still paces when its time to sleep..but in time she will come around.. she is not rowdy anymore and prefers to sleep outside as she is used too..of course i dont chain up my dogs and she is provided with a couch and love seat in the doggy garage!!!training will be a challenged but can be done! sorry to hear you cant keep him, maybe someone with more time and experience can train him....4 yrs of chain life he is going to have no manners and no social skills.

If he's always been kept outside with minimal human contact or training it will take some time for him to learn 'inside' rules and manners. Think of him as a baby who has absolutely no idea what inside is or what the rules are. You will need to start from scratch like you would with a pup.

He definitely doesn't look pure to me, could be any number of breeds in him including maybe GSD, going by the pics.

Personally I am a bit different to everyone else as I don't like to exercise my dogs at all before training, I like to harness that energy and use it during our training session - I make them high energy so the dog tires more easily.