My 2,5 month old puppy, who’s never done this before, has recently started whining and crying through the night when we place her in her house on the balcony and lock the doors

Samar and Sienna

My little puppy, Sienna, is a 10 week siberian husky female. We got her when she was 8 weeks old. 

Sienna has her own little house on our balcony. Throughout the first week, we used to occasionally let her into the house, but mostly just stayed and played with her outside. This week, we’ve had her come into the house and spend a bit more time indoors, but during the night, she always sleeps on the balcony. 

the first week, even the first night, she didn’t whine at all, slept quietly and soundly at night. However, yesterday and today, she’s been whining like crazy, pawing at the door, and will only be satisfied if we let her inside. 

why do you think this has bern happening? What should i do? 

Let her in.     She is a baby  - recently taken away from her mum and siblings  - 99% of huskies  crave human company  and bond strongly with their family  -   Why are you shutting her out at night anyway????    Even cats hate being thrown outside at night    - why do it to a baby dog???

I think i’ve been misunderstood😅

I am letting her in, she barely spends half an hour outside, but she used to love sleeping in her house outside, slept upwards of 1 or 2 hours in there even during the day, but now, everytime she goes outside, she’ll saty in there for like 20 minutes max and then want to come back in. 

whenever she starts whining i usually almost always get up immediately and let her in, i don’t let her cry alone outside. I just wanted to see if there was something now that she suddenly hates staying outside in her house.

Is there room in your house for her house?   That way she could get used to going in it - but still be in the room with you and see/smell you  for comfort.      I cannot envisage a dog house on a balcony  -   'balcony' suggests on first level or above  ........  don't want to misunderstand again.     Are you in a flat/apartment?      Why would you want her sleeping outside?

I think you will find that she just wants to be within easy reach of yourselves until she reaches maturity  - some dogs then decide to spend more time on their own.   On of my boys is with us all day  - but in the evening he chooses to go by the front door and stays there all evening.    My other boy spends most of his time at the entrance to the kitchen or by the back door  -  even though we are in the lounge.

I think your pup is becoming more attached/bonded to you and is also starting to understand her environment...
she just wants to be near you at night!

Our rescue slept in a crate in the living room at first, and he would bang/rattle the crate all night long.
When I moved to the sofa, he would sleep peacefully through the night.
He just felt safer and more relaxed if he could see/smell me and know that I was nearby...
(It's been years since then, he just sleeps wherever he wants now...)

• 2 months later...

hi, my husky pup is now 10 months old and i've had him since he was 2 months old.  when indoors alone, i keep him in a crate.  otherwise i only allow him freedom in my kitchen area when he's out of his crate.  fortunately, he's already fully house broken after about 3 or 4 months of crate training.

occasionally, he does howl at night but not very often.  what works best for me is to always take him on a long walk (at least 2 or 3 miles or more) just before it gets dark outside so that when we return home, its just about time for him to sleep overnight.  after the long walk, his legs get a little tired and he immediately wants to go to sleep but i keep him awake until about 9pm or so before i let him sleep for the night and normally, he sleeps peacefully all night long.

that's what works for my husky.  take him walking just before bed time and normally he sleeps thru the entire night...

Archived